V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if puting 1 inch taller front fork springs would cause any problems? Thinking of doing this to my 05 Lowryder. I want to change to proggresive forks springs and since I am changing the springs I would like to go 1 inch longer. I know it will change the trail slightly but I can't see where one inch up front would make a significant difference. I appreciate all thoughts and opinions. Thanks.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
springs

Could be wrong but i don't think the 1" taller spring has the same (inverse) effect as 1" lower springs (lowering bike). I believe you would need to put 1" longer fork tubes to make this work...Longer springs...would'nt they just compress firmer and stiffen the ride? Better check this out for sure before buying pricey new progressive springs....

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Neededing to replace the forks is one of things I was looking to find out. That is a whole new ball game.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The FXDX had 1" over stock longer at both ends, I had one and like it , however now I have an FXDWG3 which has 1" under stock on both ends and I think it handles better . I rode a new sporty 1200R and my wife's 1200C , same phenomenon. Higher is better sometimes, but you can stay low and go with better spings and shocks too , and heavier fork oil which is great.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
put a 1"spacer on top of the spring. a 1"pipe nipple from the hardware store would be alot cheeper. this would be the old school method.

·
Registered
229 Posts
bagga said:
put a 1"spacer on top of the spring. a 1"pipe nipple from the hardware store would be alot cheeper. this would be the old school method.
I think I would try this first, sounds like great advise. MIKe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts