V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it true that a single cylinder engine would have alot of vibration. I currently have a 91 sporster but not a good beginner bike. So I am looking at a Suzuki 650 Savage for a starter bike. I heard if it is a 1 cyclinder it would have alot of vibration which I don't want since I have had neck surgery and a plate in my neck. And yes I probably can be a pain in the neck - just kidding. Can anyone help with this??

Cheri aka medicine woman

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
medicinewoman said:
Is it true that a single cylinder engine would have alot of vibration.
Cheri aka medicine woman
YES!
The more up the cc scale you go with a one pot the more vibs.
Yam. XT500 used to shake my shoulders off...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Need to ride the bike in question. These engines have come a long way, some of the Rotax and in particular KTM singles are a work of art and the japanese are usually right there when it comes to the smaller bikes.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Started back riding several years ago on the Savage. No, It has a lot less Vibration than you'd expect from one cyl. Has counter balance shaft to cancel most of that out. Except for a couple of vices, the Savage is a fun little bike to start on. And cheap. Buy it used and you'll get your money back when you move up. Its about bulletproof too. Only one of the smaller imports that has a belt drive.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
You may want to have a look at the Honda Shadow. It's cheap and looks good for the price. Here is a picture of a Shadow VLX 600cc. It retails for 4,995.00. Honda's are bulletproof in my opinion.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Cheri, Smokey gave you some good advice about the Shadow. Great beginners bike. They have been around for a lot of years and there are a lot of good, clean used one's out there also.

As for the Savage. There is a woman who rides with us occasionally that has one. I haven't ridden it, but I did sit on it at idle. Vibes aren't bad at all. Certainly no worse than a Sporty. Make sure it fits you though. It was a very small bike.
Ken

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a friend who has a Savage and she likes it alot, but never rode it myself. My personal experience with a VLX 600 is that it vibrates noticably at highway speeds and lacks the power for any kind of long distance cruise. Suggest you consider any of the Honda 750 series.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts