V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you good folks know about how long a 1,000 mile checkup should take at a dealer? My 1K checkup is "free" (hello, free), but the dealer said they would need the bike about six hours. This seems way excessive to me, especially since I'll have to hang around the dealership and wait for it. Thanks.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If they do everything they are suposed to, not excessive. It's free(cost of bike and they'll get you later) let them do the job correctly........any theatres or titty bars near by, library(visit with us ???)??

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's in northeast San Antonio. I know nearly nothing about the area, but I guess I'll get to find out! Thanks.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If you look in your owners manual it lists what is involved in each checkup, you should be familiar with it and develop a walk around before every ride......Check tires, brakes, lights, cables, look for loose fasteners, etc !!!!! Maybe some of our tx members can help you with your area ?? Or an internet search, six hours is a long time to hang around...

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I've always done a walk around, general check and specifically check oil and tires before every ride. I didn't know how long to guess the 1K checkup would take. I figured it's kinda like some of the things I do....can be done in two hours or all day depending on what else mama wants me to do. ;)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
In reviewing your posts, it looks to me like the Dealer is projecting a worse case scenario ( 6 hours ) due to your front forks.

The 1000 is about a two hour job.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fork deal is now at a different dealership.......one much closer. I originally talked with the service guy at San Antonio and he wasn't much interested in pursuing the fork problem. The update on that is that the closer dealership pulled the springs, said they measured the correct length and replaced the fork oil with SE Heavy. The ride height is still the same, but I can no longer bottom and top the forks. The heavier oil obviously helped that part of the issue, but makes for a pretty stiff ride and isn't the right answer. As I understand it, the springs can be the correct length, but the wrong rate.

A friend here at the non-MoCo Harley shop is buds with a high up type MoCo guy and the issue is being discussed that way. They are apparently aware of this problem and it isn't isolated to my bike. More to come, I hope. If the MoCo fails me, I think I'll drop in some good aftermarket springs.

Anyway, the short version is that the 1K checkup is all that will be done at the San Antonio dealership.

·
Registered
688 Posts
How did you manage to get the 1K checkup "free"? Fanagle it with the deal from the start or what? My dealer quoted me "a couple hundred $$"

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Free, as in feel free to spend six hours in our parts and accesories department!:D

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 1000 mi service was free too. I thought that was just something Harley did. Must be just a dealer thing huh??? Their service was great, but I plan on doing the rest myself.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Was quoted 180$ for the 1K service at the stealership and "just under a hundred" at the local Custom shop that does have a HD certified wrench.
I'm at 815 miles right now so I'll be dropping some coin anyday now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got my first 1000 mile service free too. I didn't know if it was a H-D thing or just something certain dealers did. However, I paid a little over MSRP for the bike so I guess it really wasn't "free" after all.:D It only took about 1.5 hrs. for them to finish the service while I waited.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm quite certain it was built into the price, but I really can't b(tch about it......good price, great trade-in.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Free! You're Kidding, right?

Seldom is anything FREE from H/D.

I see above that one member admitted to paying "a little over msrp". How much is "a little"? $1K, $2K, $3K??? For a thousand over msrp, you can get a pay for a lot of service.

Now as for the comment that an "independent" shop is significantly cheaper than the dealer, that's a given. Independent auto shops are significantly cheaper than the auto dealership service dept's.

'sorry, 'couldn't help myself when I saw someone posting about getting a FREE service. :rolleyes:

·
: Þ
341 Posts
Wish I could get a free service. Hell, when I get serviced from the wife, even that costs me somethin..................lmao

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kawika904 said:
Wish I could get a free service. Hell, when I get serviced from the wife, even that costs me somethin..................lmao
That costs a helluva lot more than any service from a Harley dealer! My first wife cost me a car, house and $40K. Harley dealers are cheap compared to that! My second wife, however, is first class.....best thing by far that ever happened to me. :D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Survey: Did you ever pay for sex?

Me: Everyfuckingday!:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts