V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 RK and was looking at doing something with the exhaust to increase performance as well as sound. It currently has the factory exhaust with SEII slipons (with Rush 4" Big Louie, 2.25" baffles waiting in the wings).
I like the look of the newer touring exhaust where it passes under the frame of the bike instead of the old "y" pipe coming off the rear cylinder. I want to keep the dual exhaust (just think the touring bikes look better that way, imho) but do not want to go to a true dual setup.
I've built many hotrods and understand the importance of a crossover tube to help scavenge waste exhaust and therefore increase the performance of the engine.
Seems I might be looking for something that just isn't available and may have to look for other options. Anyone have any ideas of suggestions?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump!

Really? No one has thought about doing this?

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
you will have to use a 09 up oil pan for most of the 2-1-2 exhaust.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why the oil pan change?
Are there boss's that the cross over tube mounts to or is the new oil pan casted differently to create clearance?

I have a 01 FLHT and am looking at the newer factory exhaust that goes under.

Thanks in advance.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
No, 09/later models have a cross-under pipe that routes to the left-side muffler that does have a hanger attached to the oil pan, but that is not the main problem. To hold the pipe in place, Harley tapped two 1/4" 20TPI holes in the back of the transmission oil pan flange, and designed a special bracket. So the oil pan is not the main problem. Just one of them.

There has been a couple of riders that have added the '09/later exhaust system. Here is a thread from a different forum that covers how one guy did it to his '08. It can be used on your '07. It is up to you what you are willing to try. Just go to entry number One and read it all. Then you can get an idea of what it will take to do this.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I bought the S&S power tune true duals. More expensive, but when you add the cost of a used pipe, new oil pan and the hassle of fabbing a new bracket, not a bad choice. Performance and sound is terrific. It makes almost as much power and torque as a good 2-1 header and you still have duals and that great sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts