V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at 25 to 35 my front end wobbles back and forth 2 to 3 inches back and forth no load with just me. me and the wife loaded it will go dang near lock to lock if you let it. when me and the wife were on the tail of the dragon she said what is going on and lets get it fixed. took it to dealer they said it was just because it was loaded. i said it does it light to they said it was fine and it was because i had 2 pounds of air pressure in the tires. getting worse and they said they checked the head bearings. any body else experiancing this?

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
If it's NOT tire pressures, I'd first re inspect the steering head. It's called a "swingaway adjustment". This is the tension on the bearings. My buddy's bike was similar, in the shop twice. Even if the adjustment is checked and found ok, if the races were not inspected for full seating, it'll be out of adjustment after a few bumps.Make sure the races are fully seated!

·
Registered
240 Posts
"because i had 2 pounds of air pressure in the tires."

Only 2 lbs????.........guess that's a typo............I think manual says 34-36.

Had the same problem w/my '07 RG, put 40 lbs. in front and 45 in rear and it seems to be MUCH better now.

C.R.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yes OldMsocko, that's what the manual says and it's the manufacturer's RECOMMENDED tire pressure.

You are 'allowed' to vary that pressure depending on road conditions, air temperature, type of riding and weight load.

I just know that upping my pressure, as recommended by someone else, really took a lot of my 20-40 mph 'wiggle' away.................INSTANTLY!!!

C.R.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Interesting topic. I have none, not one bit of wobble. I've had it loaded, unloaded, wife on back, nothing.

Does it do it no matter if it's loaded or not? If so, I'd be talking to the dealer, something is wrong.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have found out while reasearching the lack of handling that SOME EGs have vs others is that there are two areas that can be flexed into acting as a pivot on the bike.

1. The front end

2. The rear end (to be specific the swing/arm drivetrains giving from side to side with normal riding force)

PM or email and I explain what all could be going on and what I did to cure mine.

If yours is wobbling at such a low speed and if it is doing it in a straightaway. Definately check fall away of the front end, but the HD method is lacking specific measurements in the shop manual, so use the way that most other older riders do.

Another spot to check is rear shock air pressure. If they are set too soft for the load, then the bike rocks back and the front wheel has little weight to hold it in a good path (learned about that problem 12 years ago traveling across country)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
05 classic said:
at 25 to 35 my front end wobbles back and forth 2 to 3 inches back and forth no load with just me. me and the wife loaded it will go dang near lock to lock if you let it. when me and the wife were on the tail of the dragon she said what is going on and lets get it fixed. took it to dealer they said it was just because it was loaded. i said it does it light to they said it was fine and it was because i had 2 pounds of air pressure in the tires. getting worse and they said they checked the head bearings. any body else experiancing this?

you have spokes or cast wheels??

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
LowFlyer said:
Yes OldMsocko, that's what the manual says and it's the manufacturer's RECOMMENDED tire pressure.

You are 'allowed' to vary that pressure depending on road conditions, air temperature, type of riding and weight load.

I just know that upping my pressure, as recommended by someone else, really took a lot of my 20-40 mph 'wiggle' away.................INSTANTLY!!!

C.R.
I understand about varying tire pressures but I think that you have another problem that varying your tire pressure helped hide the problem.

I ride 2 up 90% of the time and do alot of touring with my bike loaded. My wife will fill up every nook and cranny on the bike when we tour. I have never run any other pressure than 36 front and 40 rear. I use those pressures all the time whether I am riding myself or loaded and never had a wobble.

I run 34 lbs in my rear shock all the time.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if my air pressure was off 2 pounds it was because of the gauge. i run 36 front 40 rear. but any way tire pressure didnt make any differance. at 30 mph if i loosen up on the bars or let go the handle bars move 3 inches or more with no load and 16 pounds air in rear. if i put my wife and luggage on it they try to go lock to lock. if i am holding on the bars a little tight you can barely feel it. i have noticed this since day one and the the tire pressures were low. i am going to try another dealer or just fix it my self. i always get in a bad mood when they come out with these stupid comments. i think they log customers complaints in the computer and get these fixes back from harley. in 05 i bought one of the first road kings to hit the floor and the next week i had 4000 miles from one trip and started using oil like crazy. well i heard all kinds of its just harley excuses on that one.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Maybe be it's just me, but I would consider this a safety issue without a doubt. Not knowing what the cause could really be asking for trouble.

I'd be sending certified letters to both Harley & the dealership and I'd documenting everything. I would not be fixing a brand new bike myself, I would not want them to be able to bow out of responsiblilty because of a repair I made.

Chris

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
ceraaa42 said:
Maybe be it's just me, but I would consider this a safety issue without a doubt. Not knowing what the cause could really be asking for trouble.

I'd be sending certified letters to both Harley & the dealership and I'd documenting everything. I would not be fixing a brand new bike myself, I would not want them to be able to bow out of responsiblilty because of a repair I made.

Chris
I certainly agree with you. A new bike doing that doesn't make sense.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Low speeed wobble indicataes a tire problem, wrong installation or some kind of deformation. Have the dealer check it out and no, the don't all do that.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have cast wheels, about 30 percent 2 up, keep about 16 pounds in rear shocks with 2 up. 28 to 35 mph is the only speed it does it. i checked roll out on the front tire when i had it on the stand a while back looked fine. since i have been back from vacation between work and home i have been to busy to take it in. will try next week. i traded a 07 heritage on this bike not one problem great bike but the wife wanted more comfort. this one is also pulling to the left, get false nutrals, and back brake makes lots of noise. small details that just need to get strait.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts