V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, will 07 or earlier heads work on a 08 Softail. What is the performance of these heads compared to the older models. I will be using stock flanges and throttle body off of my 08.
Thanks

·
Here for the education!
788 Posts
heads

From what I know the just wont work on tournig models because the went with the new 6 gallon tank and had to redesign the frame and mounts to make it fit. All other models have stayed the same. You could even use a new 08 touring head on any other model you will just have the machine portion on the front of the front head showing.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Can you machine what's needed for the mount on an 08 touring using an older head as a donor or is something actually "added" or reconfigured to the casting? I don't have an old head around but it looks to me like the way those fins turn the corner on the front is not just machined but somehow different than before. Doesn't seem like it would look to good an a bike without something mounted there....

·
Here for the education!
788 Posts
I was playing with a set ofr new s.e heads (16952-08) they fit many years including an 08. They were put onto a 07 e-classic. I really looked them over and it looks as tho everything is the same, no casting changes. I think someone would just have to machine a flat service on the front of the head and drill and tap one hole. Looks to me as the its got jims name all over it for a future tool!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
hdryder said:
I was playing with a set ofr new s.e heads (16952-08) they fit many years including an 08. They were put onto a 07 e-classic. I really looked them over and it looks as tho everything is the same, no casting changes. I think someone would just have to machine a flat service on the front of the head and drill and tap one hole. Looks to me as the its got jims name all over it for a future tool!
Just one hole? I thought it was two..... I might have my wrench give it a try, he's a good machinist and has the equipment to do it, just the setup that's a pain I imagine. I think you're right about the Jim's tool! Would make it a piece of cake.... I have been looking for a set of take off heads from 08 tourer with no luck. I want to keep all me stock parts intact so I can put my bike back to original if some major issue(crank run out) bites my ass and this girl has to go back for major warranty work...

·
Here for the education!
788 Posts
adlerx said:
Just one hole? I thought it was two..... I might have my wrench give it a try, he's a good machinist and has the equipment to do it, just the setup that's a pain I imagine. I think you're right about the Jim's tool! Would make it a piece of cake.... I have been looking for a set of take off heads from 08 tourer with no luck. I want to keep all me stock parts intact so I can put my bike back to original if some major issue(crank run out) bites my ass and this girl has to go back for major warranty work...
Yeah you are correct it is two holes. They are drilled into the material just above the exhaust ports. Might limmit how radical a head porter might get with the bowl on the exhaust side! I took a look at all of the s.e books and the 08 touring parts manual and they all still have the old pictures and didnt show the machined surface. I think i will be seeing another one of these heads in the near future, and if thats the case i snap a pic and post it.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Heads from any 2006 and up model will fit on a 2008 Softail or Dyna as far as I know.The front head for the touring bikes is different due to the front motor mount relocation.
Not sure about drilling two holes in the head to attach the new motor mount, might be more to it than just that

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Here's what the front head looks like.

Left bolt

Right bolt

Full bracket

I think you could use a non bracket head but you'd have to weld it up before you taped it. Cheaper to just get the correct head if they are black.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts