V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday while cleaning my 08 SG I noticed a small "rub spot" on the left front of the tank. I turned the bars to the exterme left as if I was going to engage the fork lock and noticed the the fairing was just touching the tank. When I turned to the right there was approximately 1/8" clearance between the tank and fairing at the closest point.

Rode to the closest Dealer. They looked at the bike and the first question was "Did you drop the bike ?" Looking at them and then my shiny, new SG with 2K on it I asked if it looked as if it's been down. No reply from either technician.

After turning the bars from lock to lock several times and looking at other 08 SG's in stock they concluded that when Harley increased the fuel capacity to 6 gallons they reduced the clearance to "nothing or less than nothing" and told me to try to not turn so sharply to the left when trying to park my bike in tight spaces. I could see I was getting nowhere so I left the dealership.

Today I was looking at the stops and decided to add some type of bumper to limit the movement. I came up with a small vinyl bumper from Home Depot. Cost $2.78 for a card of 15. They are self adhereing, 3/8" diameter and about .180 inch thick. I placed one on the side of the frame just in front of the factory plastic stop. This would be about 3/4 inch to the rear of the zerk grease fitting for the steering neck bearings. Now I have about 1/8-1/4" clearance. Added one to the right side just to be safe on that side too.

If I had not noticed this problem I would have rubbed through the paint on the tank and probably ended up with a rust spot. Although it's almost impossible to see this "rub spot" , one would think that the engineers and road testers of a $20,000+ machine would have noticed this problem or maybe I'm the only one who got a bike with this defect.
So all you 2008 Street Glide riders....check the fairing to tank clearance and let me know if I have a one-of-a-kind SG.

Thanks
Thunderhead
NE Ohio

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
thunderhead said:
told me to try to not turn so sharply to the left when trying to park my bike in tight spaces.
What a load of crap. I would have come unglued on such a stupid comment. What about when you park the bike? Most bikes are parked with the forks in the full left lock position. At least you found a cheap fix.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
IMHO you let them off the hook way too easy. I'd be down at the dealer where you bought it raising heck ASAP as well as contacting the MOFOCO customer service folks to get a complaint on the record. If there is no evidence that you dropped the bike then it's their problem and it needs to be fixed. Even if it's just your bike it could mean you have a spacer missing or mis-installed and who knows what could happen down the road.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
I agree. You need to be going for their throat after you rip out all their short hair. I would not put a temporary fix on their problem.

Bwana01

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Just call NHTSA. They will decide if H-D needs a recall. They don't like things hitting, or rubbing a fuel tank.

Thorns

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
These engineers must have designed the Pacer. That car had a bigger door on the right side for egress to the rear seat. The window mechanism was designed mirror image with the left door. After they made a bunch, the found out that the window on one side wouldn't roll all the way down. So, they added a plastic moulded piece to that door to cover the glass that was showing when down.

Now, that is engineering!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, you are correct. I'm taking it to the dealer where I purchased the bike. I wanted to see if there were other 08 SG's with this problem.

If I don't get satisfaction from them I'lll contact Harley Customer Service.

Other than that I am pleased with my Street Glide.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts