V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my new RG for a week now, just under 500 miles so far. I came off an 01 RG I had for 5 years so it was pretty dialed in so naturally I missed it alot at first. The new bike has really grown on me and, I like it better every time I ride it. The ride is very smooth, the way the power comes on just seems really smooth, I can tell you at 100mph, it's like glass where although my old bike would get you to 100 alot quicker, you always fely like you were going real fast on it. The new bike doesn't have that arm jerk factor yet but you can sure tell the power is in there. It is deceptively fast, really I continue to be surprised at the power form a stock HD.
I did not go with the ABS option, after test riding a bike with the new brembos, I no longer desired ABS. The Brembos FLAT STOP THIS BIKE and are outstanding except for a bad squeek from the rear brake. Normally I would have fixed that right off but for now, I'll let the dealer handle it at the 1k svc.
I have not noticed any of the heat issues that 07 owners complained of but, I don't ride in town and the weather has been cool, my riding for the most part is on open windey county two lanes with lots of small elevation changes Of course these make great break in roads.
The FBW is different and it does take some getting use to, hopefully after a few thousand miles I'll have it mastered. It reacts slower than your wrist, this is what I attribute the smooth transition to power on. Not sure I like it but I have it and I'll adapt, it's progress baby! You gotta remember I just came off a 100/100 3:37 geared carbed bike so there is a transition to go through. The cruise control works well and is much smoother than the older units although shutting it off can be a little tricky, something about the FBW closing the throttle and I sometimes do a slight nosedive when I tap the front brake to shut off the cruise if I am not gripping the throttle just right. This again will be something I will adapt to, and will be but a distant memory a few weeks down the road.
The transmission is so different, it's the biggest difference of anything on the bike for me. The first three gears are so tall and 5th and 6th are so far out that they rarely get used on the roads I ride 95% (6th never) of the time since speeds rarely get much over 65 and with my weight and packing the OL most of the time, I need to cruise at least at 3k, 65 in 4th is about 3200...
The first change I have planned is the trans sprocket, gonna lower those gears a little, should push my fat as$ around a little better. I will adapt and I am sure I will love it once I get use to it.
The 6 gallon tank is sweet but I agree with others, it sure looks bulbous, no biggie, those extra miles are well worth it!, averaging 34mpg on three fillups so far, 85% two up. The seat is a device of pure torture for me, the previous RG seats were arguably the most comfortable stock seat harley has ever put on a bike, the new one, for me is terrible, I am sure if I was a smaller guy it would probably be better. I will have to have the seat altered or get an old RG seat and see if it can be adapted. The OL doesn't like it much either and at 100lbs her butt is pretty tiny, about any seat should fit her fine you'd think.

Overall, I am very happy with the bike. It's like I told the OL; when I bought my 01 five years ago it was bone stock and it took me 5 years to get it how I wanted it. By the time I get this one like I want it, it will be a WAY NICER bike than my old one ever could have been and it won't take me 5 years to get there either ( can you say by spring).

So, here she is, she's dark blue pearl

·
Registered
822 Posts
I know i'm in the minority here, but I sure do like the Road Glide fairing better than the batwing fairing. Unfortunately the POSE bikes ( I just ordered a POSE Ultra) aren't offered in the Road Glide model. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Alerx,
I just bought an 07 Road Glide and I am really enjoying it so far. Your bike looks beautiful. I have not seen that color in person. Is there a passenger foot peg next to the floor board. Is the an HD item? Does your OL like this peg? just curious since I have not seen that accessory.
Labrat

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
StandardLabRat said:
Alerx,
I just bought an 07 Road Glide and I am really enjoying it so far. Your bike looks beautiful. I have not seen that color in person. Is there a passenger foot peg next to the floor board. Is the an HD item? Does your OL like this peg? just curious since I have not seen that accessory.
Labrat
Nope, that's a kuryakin add on, when I traded my old one in, I said I had to retain those pegs. My OL is only 4"11" so real uncomfortable for her to reach the floorboards especially with the crash bars on the 01 (I'll be putting rear crash bars on her post haste!). Harley makes some floorboard risers but she really likes these and has dona 600+ mile days with em so I guess they work for her...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice Bike,

Just an FYI...
Looks like you still have your protective "blue film" on your brake caliper logo? Unless you like that look. Hope the brake situation works its way out.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
The bike looks GREAT --- that is, in my mind with all the goodies I can't wait to see you add!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They attach to the floorboard mount brackets. Seen a lot of bikes with em, they run about $180 +/-. They clamp together clamshell style to the bracket and have a recessed taper to match the bracket. Take about 10 minutes to install, they have three positions, I think in the pic the one on the left is down to the rear. That would be liked the stowed away position....
Rampage, guess your right, I hadn't checked it closely but it matches the paint so nice, I didn't bother. Figured it was just some kinda film on there...
ot that worried about the brake, fortunately, I know what to do to fix it, just don't think I should have to do it myself on a new bike with a premium maintenence package... We'll see...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PR3VS56 said:
The bike looks GREAT --- that is, in my mind with all the goodies I can't wait to see you add!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks PR3, Probably won't "see" what I add for awhile, I always go for comfort, performance and safety first, then I'll start with the pretty sheite. Wont take me that long though....

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
adlerx said:
The seat is a device of pure torture for me, the previous RG seats were arguably the most comfortable stock seat harley has ever put on a bike, the new one, for me is terrible, I am sure if I was a smaller guy it would probably be better. I will have to have the seat altered or get an old RG seat and see if it can be adapted. The OL doesn't like it much either and at 100lbs her butt is pretty tiny, about any seat should fit her fine you'd think
The 2008 seat is a new design. Black Hills HD dealer showed me the difference. 2007 or earlier seat will not fit your '08 due to mounting arrangement with new frame and front of '08 seat.

BTW, your RG is a beautiful bike!

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
adlerx said:
I did not go with the ABS option, after test riding a bike with the new brembos, I no longer desired ABS. The Brembos FLAT STOP THIS BIKE and are outstanding except for a bad squeek from the rear brake.
After demo-ing an '08 RG I'm not so sure I'll skip the ABS when I order my RG. You're right about how well they stop the bike but I'd be worried they were too good in marginal conditions and could lead to easy lock-up without the ABS. :unsure:

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ebiker said:
The 2008 seat is a new design. Black Hills HD dealer showed me the difference. 2007 or earlier seat will not fit your '08 due to mounting arrangement with new frame and front of '08 seat.

BTW, your RG is a beautiful bike!
Thanks! Yeah, I know it's different because of the tank and other changes also made all the touring line seats interchangable. It's the back of the rider bucket, in the past it was a slope up to the pillion level, the new one has a piece across the back of the rider bucket with a hard sharp edge on it that digs into the bottom of my tailbone real hard. I found a seat guy who who can alter it and fix it but I am also going to take him an old RG seat and see if he can alter that to fit the new changes without changing the overall configuration of the seat. At first glance, the new and old look almost the same but they are quite different. The foam in the new ones is not as dense which makes the seat harder over the long haul. I don't have an old RG seat in hand yet so I haven't seen em directly side by side but having ridden the old style for 5 years, i'd swear this new one is smaller. I'll let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My wife is also 4'11". What part number for the pegs

The front of my hard bags on my 07 have become my wifes floorboards. If she puts her feet on the stock boards the bag guard rail bites into her calves. If you can remember or give me some info on where you got them it would be great. BTW great looking ride.
adlerx said:
Nope, that's a kuryakin add on, when I traded my old one in, I said I had to retain those pegs. My OL is only 4"11" so real uncomfortable for her to reach the floorboards especially with the crash bars on the 01 (I'll be putting rear crash bars on her post haste!). Harley makes some floorboard risers but she really likes these and has dona 600+ mile days with em so I guess they work for her...

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drichards said:
The front of my hard bags on my 07 have become my wifes floorboards. If she puts her feet on the stock boards the bag guard rail bites into her calves. If you can remember or give me some info on where you got them it would be great. BTW great looking ride.
They are part #7936 from any kuryakyn dealer, $179 but you can usually find em on ebay for slightly less. They won't fit with certain pipes, I've had no problem with stock or with V&H Propipe.
Here's a link.. http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=2409

here's some on ebay for $139 w/free shipping, great deal!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KURYAKYN-ADJUSTABLE-PASSENGER-PEGS-HARLEY-TOURING-7926_W0QQitemZ140163333191QQihZ004QQcategoryZ35557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

1 - 14 of 14 Posts