V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an '08 in recently and it has a bad hop to it. The owner said he could feel something but wasn't sure what. I believe there are about 500 miles on this bike. The seat bounced, the front sliders steadily moved about 1/2" up and down. Once the bike hit about 50 it would smooth out and the problem became less noticeable.

Here is a video I took of the rear wheel. In the first part of the clip compare the inner rim diameter to the outer pulley diameter on the other side of the bike. You will see a clear oscillation as the rim gets closer to and then farther away from the pulley but the pulley appears to spin true.

In the second part of the clip watch the edge of the tire compared to the rear fender. Where the tire and rear fender come together it forms a point and as the tire spins in relation to the fender the point move up and down. You can watch the edge of the tire just about anywhere and see it wobble side to side.

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/video/wheel2.wmv

From what I can tell, the tire itself is only doing what the rim is doing. The tire is probably not an issue at all.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Looks bad. Could the guy have hit a pothole or a curb and isn't telling? But it could have been the sleeping QC guy too.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hdmarsh77 said:
Looks bad. Could the guy have hit a pothole or a curb and isn't telling? But it could have been the sleeping QC guy too.

There are no signs of damage anywhere. I would think a pot hole that could do that much damage to the rim would also take out the tire. I believe the owner has mentioned it to the dealer since new.

·
Obsolete Rider
1,728 Posts
thanks

thanks for the show.
We don't need an indicator on that wheel.

PU, if it smells bad, it must be [email protected]#.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts