V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one hear any negatives about the new electronic throttle on the touring bikes? I know that if it fails it's going to be a very expensive fix versus a broken cable. I just ordered a 08 FLTHCU and that's about the only thing i'm nervous about on it.

·
Finally
839 Posts
Dealer had demo days last weekend and I rode a new Ultra and all I can say is fly by wire is nice and throttle response is great. I was thinking the same thing though just something else to go wrong but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Only thing I've noticed is that it doesn't respond to "bliping" the throttle well. No other issues that I've found.

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
I understand the concern about how it's more expensive to repair the electronic throttle. That said, I think it will prove itself to be much more reliable than the cable version, and the frequency of repair will be dramatically lower.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am an auto tech and we have had it on our cars for several years now.Have had almost no problems,main seems to be if the throttle plate gets real carboned up it can set codes,usually just requires a cleaning and a ECM reset.Have had one throttle body failure and it was a very expensive repair.
My main concern on a touring motorcyle would be how it will react when exposed to rain for an extended period of time,most of the parts on a car are sealed from the weather
I guess time will tell,I hope to buy a 08 Ultra as I had to sell my 05 because of a health concern,lukily still have other bikes to ride.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
kr70657 said:
I understand the concern about how it's more expensive to repair the electronic throttle. That said, I think it will prove itself to be much more reliable than the cable version, and the frequency of repair will be dramatically lower.

Only time will tell.
Maybe my experience is atypical, but over 5 cable throttle bikes and 100K miles, I never had a throttle cable repair. Not even an adjustment unless I changed the grips or bars. And if I ever did it would be very cheap and do it yourself easy. In my opinion it is another case HD trying to fix something that ain't broke and added lining to HDs pockets in the long run as the biggest benefit. And if the blip is losing its bad a** appeal, we are getting closer to just renaming the brand from Harley to Honley. Me thinks all my bike purchases will be used from now on.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
kr70657 said:

Only time will tell.
I have never had a throttle cable failure.

·
This Space for Rent
57 Posts
sthorp said:
And I'll likely never have a electronic throttle failure either. My take is the mechanical system is very reliable and easy to observe/understand. The electronic version is not as easy to observe/understand, but that doesn't automatically make it bad.

Now, looking at it further, it seems like the real potential trouble area is the induction module, which must have some sort of gizmo :) to open the throttle. But it likely no longer needs a throttle position sensor so that went away.

The induction module is a mere $462.00!

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
Well lucky you.... I had one fail on my old Yamaha... it split and jammed the throttle wide open, and I couldn't throttle back; in those days there was no kill switch! All this while I am going downhill on a bridge - at over 10,000RPM the engine seized, and locked the rear wheel. Lesson learned - lubricate your throttle cables; inspect them on a regular basis, any sign of cable wear... replace immediately.

sthorp said:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Electronic throttle does not make much sense (yet)

The electronic throttle is kind of "why bother" issue. The placement of the sensor on the bars is either going to be in the switch housing (overcrowded already) or inside the bar like the hidden cable throttles. Both places are asking for trouble if you want to change bars.

Then the concept is that the sensor up top tells the ECM where the thottle is supposed to be. A servo is then told how much to open the throttle. Well on cars, that is a long distance compared to the approx. 3 feet that bike throttle cables run. So if there is a mechanical component (the servo) moving the throttle plate, then why not leave it cable operated? It is mechanical all the way to my wrist. Less likely my wrist to misread the signal than the sensors.

Wait two years for them to work out the bugs is what I say.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
Having the throttle by wire system helps with the efficiency of the emissions system. Remember the EPA is putting serious pressure on Harley, like it or not, it is what it is. I suspect next year it will be on all models.

I put new grips on mine and only had two non-heated options from Harley. I doubt if there are any on the aftermarket yet. The clutch side changes just like always. The throttle side is easier; you just remove the housings and slide it off. You will find the rheostat in the end of the handle bar for the throttle; the grips have splines at the bottom that notch’s together with the ones on the rheostat. So basically you just slide the new one on.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
I have right at 1K miles on my '08 Ultra Classic. I personally think the fly by wire throttle is a great addition. The response is smooth as glass. No problems so far.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
R-RatedCustoms said:
The electronic throttle is kind of "why bother" issue. The placement of the sensor on the bars is either going to be in the switch housing (overcrowded already) or inside the bar like the hidden cable throttles. Both places are asking for trouble if you want to change bars.

Then the concept is that the sensor up top tells the ECM where the thottle is supposed to be. A servo is then told how much to open the throttle. Well on cars, that is a long distance compared to the approx. 3 feet that bike throttle cables run. So if there is a mechanical component (the servo) moving the throttle plate, then why not leave it cable operated? It is mechanical all the way to my wrist. Less likely my wrist to misread the signal than the sensors.

Wait two years for them to work out the bugs is what I say.
The FBW throttle is a component to 'package ' the electronics of the bike in an optimum way. The ABS unit had to move from the saddle bag to the location where the ECM and the cruise controller used to be. The new ECM integrated the CC for space reasons and therefore required the FBW throttle to make everything work. Floorspace for electronic components is a sought after commodity on a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts