V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I've got the big sucker aircleaner, Thundermax, And D&D FatCat 2:1 with quiet baffle. I still want more power. What would be the logical next step and about how much will it cost? I don't want to loose reliability. Sometimes ride 2 up, touring. What would you do next and why?
:huh:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well ported heads and maybe bump up the size. Add a cam. If you are doing heads I would look at a increase in size. Not sure if you saw the post but we sent out a 107 kit with a 525 cam and ported heads. Bike is making 124 tq. At 9.9.1 compression. Now that is a bagger kit. Great power and still a very mild kit.

If you only had to change one thing, and money is the issue than a cam would be the next step.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What cam if thats all I want to do next? Is gear drive a option for the 07?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of gear driven cam? Can I install the cam myself? Special tools required ?

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
If you are only going to add a cam and you are staying chain drive then you could use a SE 204 or a andrews 26. Now if you plan on other upgrades in the future then I would go gear drive and choose a cam that may be abit larger but use a advance key to alter that cam until you do the upgrades. Really you need to plan out your game plan and work from there. The gear drive can make noise if your pinion shaft on the crank is not true. I do not think that there is a downside to the gear drive. But that is my opinion. If you have a bad pinion shaft that is something that needs to be addressed anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
I wouldn't go with gears in the stock cam plate but if I were to change to a billet plate with bearings I would go gear with the RR525 cam. If I were to leaving the stock cam plate in or using the SE I would probably use the new 54 cam from Andrews. There are many good cam choices out there but I like the 525 because of how they work with more up grades like raising the compression and head work.
Andrews told me that the maximum pinion shaft run out for the gear drive cams in the aluminum plate (no bearings) was .002" and the factory now has a limit of .010". What's wrong with this?

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is this pinion shaft. Is it the shaft on one end of the crank or the other?
.010" runout sounds rediculous and .002" doesn't seem that good to me either if were talking about the end of the crankshaft running in some sort of bearing. Is this why I hear of welding the crank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts