V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this problem? At low speed, I have a high pitched squeek in the rear of my 07 Road King standard. It goes away at about 15 mph. Sounds like metal to metal contact. I had the isolated drive sprocket put on the bike recently which works great by the way. The bearings are sealed so I don't think its a bearing nosie. It only happens when the bike is moving so it is rotational in nature. Could the belt tension be causing a high pitched squeek?

Drivin me crazy in Cleveland

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Gently apply the rear brake when it squeals. If it goes away you pads are in slight contact with the rotor. Pull pads, clean the caliper etc., put some high temp grease on the pad pins and reassemble.

If it doesn't go away, I am afraid that there is no other option than going fuggin' nutz............

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I had a rear squeek that drove me NUTS!! It was the tour pak quick release mount rubbing on the license plate frame.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I have found two things that make noise at the rear of my bike (FLHR). If I wash the bike the rear muffler hangers (rubber) will make noise, but a shot of spray silicone spray will take care of it. The other is the drive belt would rub the outside of the rear wheel sprocket, because the belt wasn't perfectly cut straight. It had an area that was slightly wider than the rest of the belt. I cured that when I went with the IDS system, as the belt runs in the middle of the pulley now.

Thorns

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thorns:

Thanks. I will give the muffler hangers a shot of silicone. I have the IDS also so my situation should be the same as yours regarding the belt.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Sometimes the belt on the pulley will make some noise, check to see if the belt is centered in the pulley or if it is rubbing on the side. The tension can cause noise too. Do you have the stock pulley on or a chrome one? I find chrome pulleys tend to squeak with the belts for a while, usually goes away after they break in better.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VTwinJaxFL:

I have the new IDS sprocket which is not a chrome sprocket. I am going to put the rear tire in the air and spin the wheel to see if I can duplicate the squeek. I am thinking it is the rear brake pads/caliper or the drive belt, either tension too tight or it's off center.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I didn't have what I would call a squeak...

... it was more of a high-pitched whine. It went away when I started leaving my wife at home. :hystria:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts