V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've just purchased an 07 Road King Custom after spending the last 3 years on a Glide, love the look of my bike but I'm taking a fair old buffeting around my ears, I think the little cromed upstand on top of the nacelle is a little too effective at deflecting the wind in to my face! I'm enquiring if any of you have removed it or if the purchase of a small screen ( I like the look of the one that comes with the SE road king) will make any discernible difference. I rode the demo bike with the standard screen on and i wasn't too keen on that, to be honest i think it was too tall and that too seemed to cause turbulence around my head. My lass who refuses to ride her heritage with a screen on in any weather thinks I've just gone soft in my old age! Any ideas or comments gratefully received. thanks, Mark

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm 5'8" and use a Clearview tinted screen in the 17" with a recurve. Works great, very happy with the overall package.

I've never tried one of the really small screens, but it might be worth trying to pick one up on e-bay. At least, if you don't like it, you could use the hardware on the Clearview screen, since those don't come with hardware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim, I'm in England so we don't get too many parts on ebay compared to the states, that said I'm coming to florida in a couple of weeks on holiday and hopefully I'll be able to sort out a screen whilst I'm there, are the clearview screens available from main dealers or is it an internet purchase? Harley parts in the UK are twice the price of the USA, I'll be like a kid in a candy shop when I'm there! regards, Mark

·
FNG
320 Posts
having my flhrs for 6k miles now.... I can tell you without doubt that that dam "duck bill" sucks.

Even with a wind shield on the air channels right up the deflector and into the gap between the shield and the light assembly and right into my friggin face / head

Removing it is your best bet. I have the same exact problem with mine and have decided it will come off this winter.

Lots of FLHRS owners have removed them here on vtwin so im sure you can search for a thread on what exactly you need to remove it.

good luck
d.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link Jim, dmize I'd sort of resigned myself to the fact that the 'duck bill' may have to come off, if it still channels the wind with a screen on, thats gonna be sooner rather than later!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
That tiny screen does very little. you need one that is wider and at least 15" above the nacelle.
That is my $.02

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
After fighting winds on the higway I bought the HD windscreen with the quick detachible mounts. It clears the duck bill and doesn't give me the same pain in the neck.

Scourge

·
Registered
443 Posts
Here's some part#'s I researched a while back to do away with the duck-bill on the FLHRS. I havn't done it yet, so double check the #'s.

67866-03 handlebar clamp cover

67868-03 trim piece

I ran the #'s through Zanotti's(a 20% off dealer) and they ran about $85 shipped as I recall.

If you're coming stateside, you may want to pre-order at a dealer near where you'll be visiting, as I doubt these will be 'on the shelf' items. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As a former tech, another issue I've seen with the "duck bill", is that when combined with a windshield, you end up with an annoying whistle. The wind is forced over the nacell, then under the gap in the windshield... then UP the duck bill. The duck bill acts as a venturi (speeds up airflow as in carb). Result is a very noticeable whistle. Had several customers complain something wrong with their bike... told them to take windshield off and NO NOISE. Several converted to regular RK trim.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My "duck bill" and windshield combo work just fine. With the shield on if you put hand just at the top of the "duck bill" while riding you'll feel that that thing does almost nothing with respect to redirecting wind.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I have an '05 custom . The chrome shield directed the wind into my face even with a windshield on so I removed it and replaced the cover. I also run the smaller windscreen (I think it's 15") and love it. However, helmets with a visor will give you head shake. I have a carbon fiber 1/2 helmet and have no issues with this setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here's some part#'s I researched a while back to do away with the duck-bill on the FLHRS. I havn't done it yet, so double check the #'s.

67866-03 handlebar clamp cover

67868-03 trim piece

I ran the #'s through Zanotti's(a 20% off dealer) and they ran about $85 shipped as I recall.

snip
Thanks for posting thesed part numbers, I have been looking for them. I just wanted to get rid of the duck bill because
it is FUGLY!
Peace
Rags

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got an 06 Road King Custom with the duck bill and the HD standard height wind screen. No whistle and no wind problem. I am 5'10". As an aside, I can see it now..... in 15 to 20 years a RKC with the duck bill is going to be a real collectors item since so many are getting tossed. Replace it? Maybe. Just don't throw it away. :)

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I have a 2005 Custom and have not experienced quite the same wind issues mentioned above. I did install early on the Harley wind deflector that installs under the triple tree. It looks like a small frisbee cut in half so the curved edge points down and deflects the air flow below the gas tank. It seemed to help with my lighter jackets being pushed up into my throat.

It a pretty inexpensive chrome part that might be worth a try.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have that annoying whistle, but its there with or without the shield. I also got rid of the duck bill. still have the whistle, I think it is the headlight visor ring I added causing all my noise.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I only experienced the whistle after installing the 'frenched' headlight trim ring. Placed a little foam inside the ring and whistle gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts