V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The service manager from our dealership came to our chapter meeting last night for a little Q&A session. Among many topics that were submitted to him to comment on the most requested was "what about a water cooled bagger?"
He said that he had spoken with one of Harley's engineer/reps while he was in town to take care of some business at his dealership. The rep more less told him that yes you could say we have something in development that is not along the "traditional" lines that will be a water cooled touring model. The new touring model will be based on the Vrod platform/family and will have a fairing and saddlebags. That was all that was said.

Also coming down the pipe for this year we will probably see hydraulic cam chain tensioners across the Softail and Touring lines. The rep really didn't give him a straight answer of course.

One last thing that really struck a sour chord with me was when the service manager brought up the high failure rate of cam chain tensioners they have been seeing lately. Coming from him this was a total shock. This was the same guy that came to our meeting back in October for a Q&A session telling us that there was not a rash of cam tensioner failures coming through their shop that he was aware of. Weird how things can change in 5 months. Anyway they are going to make inspecting the tensioners part of their 30k service, but get this: if they find them worn out, they are considered a wear item and will not be warranted. BUT!, if they should grind up, fail and cause engine damage it WILL be covered under the factory and or extended warranty. Now is it me, or is that just a totally fukked up , ass backwards way of providing customer service and product support??? Basically if you don't want to drop a dime on tensioners, just let them go and destroy the engine and HD will pick up the tab. Fuggin' rediculous!!

Anyway, don't flame me for starting rumors on whats coming for 07', I'm just passing the buck for anyone who cares to hear about it.
 

·
Infrequent Poster
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
Thanks for sharing the info, about time we got some material to work with for rumors around here!
 

·
Just Like to Ride
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
timbo said:
The new touring model will be based on the Vrod platform/family and will have a fairing and saddlebags. That was all that was said.
Not my idea of a touring bike unless they rework the frame.

timbo said:
Anyway they are going to make inspecting the tensioners part of their 30k service, but get this: if they find them worn out, they are considered a wear item and will not be warranted. BUT!, if they should grind up, fail and cause engine damage it WILL be covered under the factory and or extended warranty. Now is it me, or is that just a totally fukked up , ass backwards way of providing customer service and product support??? Basically if you don't want to drop a dime on tensioners, just let them go and destroy the engine and HD will pick up the tab. Fuggin' rediculous!!
Well, see. The dealer can make H-D eat cost of engine damage under warranty. H-D is betting on you getting rid of bike prior to this happening and their being no warranty in effect for next buyer. Also, if H-D said replace if needed, how much you want to bet that every time they are inspected at 30K miles, they will get replaced? While it's apart, why not replace?

Oh, yeah, thanks again for the rumors to help us during the winter. :yawn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,992 Posts
Unome said:
Not my idea of a touring bike unless they rework the frame.
Mine either but it could be along the lines of Honda's ST1300 or the Kawi Concourse. Might be a decent seller for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
A water cooled bagger will be a big hit if it has more power. Also it will simplify all the EPA regs coming down the line. I picture it looking more like BMW with a soft cushy ride. Who knows. I am keeping my 05 Ultra and when I wear it out in 25 years I will be to old to ride anymore. It is about time they made some big changes though. The times they are a changin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Thanks for the info. This cam chain thing is no suprise . The motor company acts like they are in the accessory business, not the motorcycle business. If you are going to keep your bike you had better replace it with a gear drive before it takes out your motor. (This happens when you are usually far away from home)
Cheers S.%[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
...don't know about you guys but one of the reasons I love Harley's is that the styling is almost timeless....is there really a need for a water cooled bike? They already have the V-rod...and when I was in TX they couldn't GIVE those things away...I like the old school aircooled V-twin...just my .02.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Not to start the same old stuff about the V Rod, but the styling is love it or leave it. I love it. But what is better is the engine. I agree the engine is better off in a sport touring bike. I love the air cooled bikes as well, but I'll be first in line for a Revolution powered tourer. Increase the engine size, add a sixth gear, fairing, bags and get rid of the forward controls.
I own a V Rod, spent lots of time on a RK Classic. Would like to have both, but not enough $$ for that.
 

·
Restless
Joined
·
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I agree it's purely speculation right now as to what the water cooled tourer would look like. I would like to think that although a member of the Vrod family, it will not just be a Vrod with a fairing slapped on it and touring bags like you've seen from that modifier company on the net that I can't recall right now. I think Harley has better taste than that. I think or am hoping for a hydroformed style frame like the Vrod, but have it different in it's asthetics, lines and design.

Who really knows what will come of it. But I think it would be cool to have something comparable to a Yamaha FJR 1300, or BMW K1200GT. I could be wrong but I think the market would support it. I think initially it would start off as a niche product. But considering the path of the EPA in the next few years, those that want street legal power and performance without a whole lot of hassle or concern might have a viable and attractive alternative to the European and Japanese models. I'm going to be open minded on it and give em a chance.
 

·
Lazy 98
Joined
·
355 Posts
Whew!

My gear drive's in the mail. One of the biggest reasons I stayed with HD is the simplicity in looks and function of the air cooled engine. I just can't wrap my brain around radiator problems, coolant, and thermostats on a motorcycle! That's for cars...
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
Well if you slap that water cooled motor in a standard looking bagger, make it a black and chrome motor with the right accents, most people, not H-D riders, could not tell the difference. Hide the radiator behind the crash bars and lowers and it goes away also.+SMSH+ Might make for a nice Ultra.:bleh:
Get ready it's a comin'.
How's that for a rumor.:dunno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
456 Posts
Most people can't tell the difference between HD and a metric anyway.

LittleBear said:
Well if you slap that water cooled motor in a standard looking bagger, make it a black and chrome motor with the right accents, most people, not H-D riders, could not tell the difference. Hide the radiator behind the crash bars and lowers and it goes away also.+SMSH+ Might make for a nice Ultra.:bleh:
Get ready it's a comin'.
How's that for a rumor.:dunno:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,151 Posts
Harley will likely carry the Dyna changes to other lines...new cam tensioner system, oil pump, 6 speed, etc.

Might see a 113" or 120" SE bike. Also, since the Fatty and Vrod have been SE bikes for 2 years, I would expect another Softail SE bike and probably a Sporty to celebrate the 50 years of nonstop production and to spur sales. The Sporty has been the most succesful model EVER for any motorcycle company and I can't see HD letting that slip by without some major marketing. The other Softail SE bike will probably be one of the 200 mm bobtailed bikes...but we'll just have to see. They might decide to go back to the Dyna line.

I think at some point we will see 95" being an option from the factory on some bikes...probably Touring. This is a way to increase revenue just like security and wheel options. They would sell a lot of them at $500.

I think the Fatboy will likely see a 200mm standard for 07 models. The fender, frame, wheels and everything is in place as far as tooling. I think they decided to wait a year because of not wanting to compete with SE sales.

We might see a Touring bike with a Revolution motor. They would likely retune it to move the torque band down in the RPMs, change the frame, and add traditional styling for the rest of package. The concept of asthetically integrating the radiator into the lowers might just work...one of the best ideas I have heard on this front.

Finally, I think we will continue to see a push in the racing marketing. HD is fully committed to racing again and they are having tremendous success. I don't know exactly how they will capitalize and expand this on the marketing and product side but you can bet that they will. The Destroyer is a good example of this. My dealer told me the demand for the Destroyer was 3 times what HD was building. We'll see...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,981 Posts
The speculation begins! 5 month countdown for the new models.
Stratplexi's prdicts seem pretty reasonable.
I for one hope they hold off for a few years on the revolution bagger! I only have a few years of riding left and don't really want to have to buy a new bike but if the revo bagger came out, especially if it had ABS, I'd be buying!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Yes the water cooled bagger is coming and if HD is smart they will be set up like the traditional baggers, heck they are probably already test riding the proto ones as we type.
There's a 30K mile service?
My '06 shop touring manual only goes to 25K in the service interval menu.
Does this mean I just can't stop changing oil and other stuff after 25 K?

I know better, but it sure seemed lame to me that it didn't go beyond 25K in their own manual.
The guys that drive the cars in my fleet think that when the odometer gets to replacement mileage of 100K that I don't have to work on them anymore till the replacement comes in, so they don't bring them in for the 5K services.
Bunch of kids!!!
 

·
Harley Fanatic
Joined
·
1,058 Posts
Stratplexi said:
Harley will likely carry the Dyna changes to other lines...new cam tensioner system, oil pump, 6 speed, etc.

Might see a 113" or 120" SE bike. Also, since the Fatty and Vrod have been SE bikes for 2 years, I would expect another Softail SE bike and probably a Sporty to celebrate the 50 years of nonstop production and to spur sales. The Sporty has been the most succesful model EVER for any motorcycle company and I can't see HD letting that slip by without some major marketing. The other Softail SE bike will probably be one of the 200 mm bobtailed bikes...but we'll just have to see. They might decide to go back to the Dyna line.

I think at some point we will see 95" being an option from the factory on some bikes...probably Touring. This is a way to increase revenue just like security and wheel options. They would sell a lot of them at $500.

I think the Fatboy will likely see a 200mm standard for 07 models. The fender, frame, wheels and everything is in place as far as tooling. I think they decided to wait a year because of not wanting to compete with SE sales.

We might see a Touring bike with a Revolution motor. They would likely retune it to move the torque band down in the RPMs, change the frame, and add traditional styling for the rest of package. The concept of asthetically integrating the radiator into the lowers might just work...one of the best ideas I have heard on this front.

Finally, I think we will continue to see a push in the racing marketing. HD is fully committed to racing again and they are having tremendous success. I don't know exactly how they will capitalize and expand this on the marketing and product side but you can bet that they will. The Destroyer is a good example of this. My dealer told me the demand for the Destroyer was 3 times what HD was building. We'll see...
Boy, do we think alike! Think you got it pegged there, Stratplexi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
IMHO anyone including a dealer, salesmen, district rep etc that tells you what is coming in 2007 is just guessing. Given how secretive Harley has been in the past about new products and new models it's unlikely they are going to let the cat out of the bag early this year. A lot of what is being speculated here may actually come about but I doubt Harley has said anything yet. Now if they do come out with a water cooled bagger I would like to see it in an Electra Glide and designed to replicate the current TC air cooled engine. In other words I want it to keep the look and sound of an air cooled TC engine but be water cooled.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
21,644 Posts
Saw suzuki cruiser with a radiator, you actually had to look to see it. I think HD could come up with something that look cool. HD strength is cosmetics.

I'd like to see a touring bike, with power right out of the box. Just throw pipes, remap, ac and be done with it.

I'd still keep my bike. But would seriously consier one in a few years. Driving a water cooled would make you a rebel.
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top