V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 07 Ultra 103 ( mild build ) is running well with good PC III tune. 95/102 build is 103ci - 9.75cr - .040 squish, .004 in hole, .036hg, [email protected] - street port heads 87.5cc -andrews 31h cam - cast flat top - adj. push rods - se/ac -D&D Fatcat QB - tq80 @ 2200 - 100 @ 2600 & holds to 5100 then falls off. AFR 13.0 - 13.5. [email protected] 5100 holds to 6000 then falls off. i am very pleased with results, runs well for my purposes 2 up touring 91 octane if i have no choise ( with no ping ) & starts easy and runs cool, Jagg oil cooler helps.If i can get this scanned and posted i will do so. Yes, i know it's a bit soft, but thats what i want for now,good power, easy on parts, no issues. over a period of time, Tote was a huge help, as well as Steve @GMR. THANKS A BUNCH GUYS. i'm sure sooner or later this engine will not be this soft, i'll step on it a bit.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I ran the 31G on my 95" , very strong cam from idle up. Very similar numbers ( 98/101) Your going to Love it. Congrats on the build!

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ping ping

ping was a slight problem in 6th gear 2 up with the SE204 cam 34* int. close & SERT tune, even after retune. with the load on engine with 2.79 ratio i thought to back off CCP by cam change with same lift & dur. but later int. close, 31H , 46*. a little better but not solved. got PC III , retuned, problem solved. timing was most of the problem 2K -3k. now that i got to the real issue, i may use the 4* key i have and get a little bit of what i lost back, that might just be perfect for me. i still think the 2.79 ratio is too tall, they should have left the 70 tooth on rear pully, like 06 Dyna. 2.95 ratio. I didn't think the 37 would be enough of a change to help. the 31 is a bit soft, but it's safe for my purposes JMHO

·
Registered
746 Posts
thedriver said:
ping was a slight problem in 6th gear 2 up with the SE204 cam 34* int. close & SERT tune, even after retune. with the load on engine with 2.79 ratio i thought to back off CCP by cam change with same lift & dur. but later int. close, 31H , 46*. a little better but not solved. got PC III , retuned, problem solved. timing was most of the problem 2K -3k. now that i got to the real issue, i may use the 4* key i have and get a little bit of what i lost back, that might just be perfect for me. i still think the 2.79 ratio is too tall, they should have left the 70 tooth on rear pully, like 06 Dyna. 2.95 ratio. I didn't think the 37 would be enough of a change to help. the 31 is a bit soft, but it's safe for my purposes JMHO
I run it with 10.3 static and I really like it. I agree the gearing SUCKS I have gone back and forth with the 30 tooth sprocket from Evo for a 3.15 gearing. I have had 0 ping issues with the 31 I think with a 4 degree key it will get you right there for that cam. Mine pulls from about 2400 up with the pipes I have and I hope to get it about 2100 with the RB pipe on the way

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's the tune

i wish i would have got the PCIII first, but i just didn't think it was a tune issue, after 2 tunes. because the SE204 cam ran great, it just needed to be tuned properly, ( less timing ) now i've got a situation, 31h (9.75 soft )that runs good, but can run much better at 10.0 - 10.5cr . 4* key smart move for now. i can allways put more wind in it later on when it needs freshened up. for now it rolls down the big road all day long in 6th gear 65 - 80mph 2 up loaded down, no ping on 91 - 92 octane if nessessary, oil temp around 200.i realy should be happy. i just don't like throwing good money after bad. live and learn. IT'S THE TUNE !!! :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
thedriver said:
for now it rolls down the big road all day long in 6th gear 65 - 80mph 2 up loaded down, no ping on 91 - 92 octane if nessessary, oil temp around 200.i realy should be happy. :)
Bottom line is it runs good, and cool..mine still runs hot 225-235 with cooler

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I was running Cometic 0.030 head gaskets , and with the SE heads compression was 10.2:1 , both Andrews and GMR recommended the 31, as the 37 is known to ping and detonate at that compression.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
That was months ago and today Andrews has a new cam that uses a better aproach IMO to get a wide torque band and not end up with a ping monster. Their new weapon the TW54. Perfect in the low 10 CR and more reasonable and customary LSA. The TW31 is a blower cam that just so happens to reduce the possibility of ping by juggling the LSA wider, less overlap. It is a retimed TW37. I would prefer the TW37 with a little less compression myself rather than look at a cam to crutch the problem. When you look at comparasions of dynos of TW37 and TW31 engines all I see when comparing apples to apples is a wider lower torque band. Not more power. So my point you gave up, sacraficed, TQ and gained nothing really back in return.

·
Registered
746 Posts
nw_guy4_fun said:
That was months ago and today Andrews has a new cam that uses a better aproach IMO to get a wide torque band and not end up with a ping monster. Their new weapon the TW54. Perfect in the low 10 CR and more reasonable and customary LSA. The TW31 is a blower cam that just so happens to reduce the possibility of ping by juggling the LSA wider, less overlap. It is a retimed TW37. I would prefer the TW37 with a little less compression myself rather than look at a cam to crutch the problem. When you look at comparasions of dynos of TW37 and TW31 engines all I see when comparing apples to apples is a wider lower torque band. Not more power. So my point you gave up, sacraficed, TQ and gained nothing really back in return.
With a BB 103 and stock heads you don't have many mild cam options..your stock heads and a .030 Head gasket gets you on the upper edge of the 37 right out of the box...9.7-8 + and if you need to have the heads cut your higher.. I had no desire to run a 55 the TQ curve started to high for me. I know there are other vender's but I was looking at Andrews cuz a set if sticks is 219 to my door. The 54 looks interesting but a 39 deg int close I think would ping here in the summer with the crap gas we get and the heat

I read that the intake close was changed to 42 degrees..Hmmmmmmm maybe this might be something to try

·
Do the math, first !!
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i prefer to call it trying to solve a problem, if you're not sure where it is, and use what info you have, you've got to try something. i used the 31h for reasons i explaned, not looking for more power, and with the PC III and a proper tune. problem solved. good runing 2 up loaded, 100+tq 2600 to 5100, oil temp 200*, no ping, no crutch. no matter what you do there is allways more power to be had, if thats what you are looking for. i was looking for good touring power, reliable, cool, easy on parts. i could have done it a thousand other ways. i chose this way, could have done a bit better,but i'm happy, and i learned a bunch.i gained alot compared to a possible broken engine, from ping, mistune, or too much ccp. there is much more load on an engine with that tall 2.79 ratio, that does not help anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts