V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 07 deuce and I hate that ugly afterthought plate holder at the end of the fender. I want to put on a side plate holder. Anybody do this themselves? How do you run the wiring? and do I just cut off the plastic piece at the bottom of the fender holding th plate?

·
Registered
75 Posts
stock s--------

yo guzzigreg
cut the tag bracket off
question which side mount are you looking at ? swing arm or primary cover?
are you running a light conversion that is a great place to tap wiring ..

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
I put the Kuryakyn (w/out brake light) curved one one. Initially I removed the entire old license plate mount then decided I didn't want the brake light wires and such exposed to the rear tire and anything it kicks up. I chopped off the section of the mount that's visible below the fender and reinstalled. Now the wires are tucked nicely and somewhat protected better. Ran the wires along the swingarm and up under the seat. The Kuryakyn kit comes with connectors that allow you to patch into your existing wiring. I tied them into the wiring for the two rear lights that lit up the old plate mount. The H-D service manual has all the wiring diagrams in the back so I knew which wires were which. Only downside for me is I think Kuryakyn comes with really crappy hardware. Their stuff is easy to strip IMHO.

·
Registered
75 Posts
yes hardware is an issue

I did about the same on my softail custom I also used the same bracket
love the look with out tag blocking tire.
wiring used a harley light conversion but tricked it a little moved it over brake light

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking of the primary mount, the look is real clean. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm thinking the swingarm mount might be a bit easier though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The derby cover fits the primary cover diferently on the '07. It is slightly recessed into the primary cover. If you use a primary mount license plate holder it likely does not accomidate this recess.

I installed one of these and needed to mill a grove into the mounting face ofthe license plate holder to allow it to seat in the same manner as the derby cover.

Look closely at a primary without the inspection plate and one which does have the inspection plate. You will notice how the derby cover fits slightly diferently.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got a Pro-0ne Chrome Derby mount 5 Hole with LED Brake light for sale if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've got a Pro-0ne Chrome Derby mount 5 Hole with LED Brake light for sale if anyone is interested.

Actually for sale to anyone cheap ...except littleJohnson. Hot head Pr*ck. Let me guess, you are 5 foot 3, a drunk and like to beat on women. Tough talk on a keyboard loser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts