V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just became a new member and have been watching some of the questions and comments. Excellent comments! Now I need a little help, I have a new 06 Ultra Classic Fire Fighter Special with only 109 miles on it. I rode in a Christmas parade this weekend which was only a 1/2 mile ride, noticed the bike was warm from the exhaust but no indicator light came on during the short ride. When I got back home I noticed that I have a small oil leak on the two bottom screws near the center of the primary case ( gasket maybe ). Is this common for a new bike? This is my first HD, have had twelve metric brands but finally saw the light!

H

·
0 Posts
It's very uncommon. There are a couple possibilities I can think of:

1) primary drain plug
2) primary cover gasket
3) clutch cover (derby cover) gasket or primary inspection cover gasket

If you can look carefully, and find the exact source of the oil it will help a lot.

Of course with that low mileage, you should have the dealer fix it, but it helps if you can tell them exactly where it's leaking from.

Harris

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Sounds like you're talkiing about primary chain inspection cover (funny square shape, has 4 screws?). At PDI, tech goes in and checks the primary chain (at least we do, contrary to what 06 setup manual says). If it wasn't tightened properly, it may leak around there.

You can try tightening it yourself, may keep leaking though. Take it back and show them, they should fix it no problem.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Hotwater said:
I noticed that I have a small oil leak on the two bottom screws near the center of the primary case (
look under the bike from the other side to see if there's any oil running down from the back side. the shaft seal was leaking on mine at a couple hundred miles.

·
Live Now - Go For It
89 Posts
If your Primary is leaking it's a blessing in disguise as now you can get the Chrome Inner Primary from Harley-Davidson Part # 60739-01 - $269.95 and the Mo Co can pay the labor estimate about 4 hours labor. Take advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My '05 Ultra developed an oil leak with only 3300 miles. The problem was porous engine cases. The Motor Company replaced the cases under warranty. I don't care what anybody says, but a problem of this type simply should not happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts