V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody had problems with there cruise control shutting off. While on a ride it happened to me twice. Pretty much scaring the crap out of me.
I have not gone harley yet just want to hear some feedback for some ammo if any.

Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
82 Posts
One thing that happens is if you shut the throttle at all the cruise will go off. Just resting your hand on the throttle will occasionally shut it off. If it has only gone off twice I would not be too concerned. I just finished a 2000 mile ride in 4 days, 90% on cruise control, and mine (2006 FLTR) shut off quite a few times. The only way you could avoid it is to ride with your hand off the grip all the time- not a good idea for obvious reasons. It really is no big deal- but it does startle you a little. Cruise control is an absolute MUST HAVE for me and I have think the Harley CC is an excellent and well-thought out unit.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
No problems with my CC on my '06 RG so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an 05 Ultra. I also noticed with my hand on the grip it inhibited the cruise so I rested it on top of the switch housing. I'm here to tell ya if ya hit the OFF button it will act just like the cruise shut off. ;)

Jerry

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm glad to see this thread. I thought it was just me. Sure does make you wake up when it kicks out. I've been trying to find a common instance when it cuts out but I've not been able to isolate yet. Going up a hill, hand on grip etc. HD shop thought my bad motor mount was causing the problem. But it's continued after they replaced.

Greg

·
Registered
622 Posts
I haven't had a problem w/ it shutting off if my hand in on the throttle. My cc did have problems of shutting off, not setting, and then finally quit working on a long trip. It was found to be a bad switch. The switch and wiring loom had to be replaced, good thing it was under warranty.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
I too had issues with the switch, and was able to repair it (by pulling on the stem!).

Resting your hand on the throttle shouldn't effect the cruise. My inline throttle cable switch requires pressure to make it disengage, and then there's a felt 'click'. If your idle cable is too tight that could cause it to inadvertantly trip.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm getting cruise control on my 08 FLHR. Anyone have any comments on how the HD cruise control is working out with the new throttle?

·
Registered
95 Posts
my 06 Ultra does it when the cruise is set around 81-82mph, I believe theres a automatic shut off when it reaches around 85mph

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
zoo said:
I'm getting cruise control on my 08 FLHR. Anyone have any comments on how the HD cruise control is working out with the new throttle?
I've been using mine quite a bit lately and have not have any problems at all.It works exactly as I expect it to, and has never shut off unexpectedly.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Jeff N said:
Has anybody had problems with there cruise control shutting off. While on a ride it happened to me twice. Pretty much scaring the crap out of me.
I have not gone harley yet just want to hear some feedback for some ammo if any.

Thanks Jeff

You need to do a cable lash initialization process as shown in the service manual. Either do it yourself or go to the dealer. It's a full page in the manual. (2004 manual in my case, section 8, page 101) It will cure your problem. Your idle cable, the one with the cruise control switch, is out of adjustment.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Is this the procedure of which you speak?

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the left cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Jeff N said:
Has anybody had problems with there cruise control shutting off. While on a ride it happened to me twice. Pretty much scaring the crap out of me. I have not gone harley yet just want to hear some feedback for some ammo if any. Thanks Jeff
One thing we've found with a little bit older bikes is the speed sensor getting dirty or "fuzzy". Pull the sensor out, on top of the transmission (one allen bolt), and see if it's gone "fuzzy" on ya. It's magnetic and picks up all kinds of metal shavings from within the transmission. Gets clogged up and can not read properly. If your speed drops, because the sensor can't read, the CC will shut off.

o~\o

·
Registered
131 Posts
My '03 RG started disengaging itself, so I did the cable lash, adjusted the cables again, etc. In the end, I unplugged the switch on the idle cable, works like a charm.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
zoo said:
I just finished 2300 miles on my Ultra using CC about 80% of the time.

It's a thing of beauty! The throttle rolls back to closed position and all you have to do is steer. Roll the RPM up manually about 10% it kicks out, if you keep it under it just goes back to the preset. I just used the control switch to accelerate/decelerate and then just reset the speed if I wanted or let it return to where it was.

I was amazed by the amount of grip strength it takes to take over after kicking it out. I think the muscles get used to not holding the pressure after a given time, I don't even think about it around town.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
Black Magic said:
Is this the procedure of which you speak?

1.) With the Ignition off, push the right cruise switch to RESUME and hold it there.

2.) Push the left cruise on/off button to ON.

3.) Turn on the ignition switch and crank the engine. The GREEN ENGAGED light will illuminate for three seconds and go out. When it goes out, release the RESUME switch.

4.) With the bike still running, push the right cruise switch to RESUME again and hold it while the unit pulls in the slack in the cable. When the engine revs up a bit and the green light goes out again, release the RESUME button and turn the ignition switch off.
Yes, I thnk that's it but that's shorter than the book.

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
newultraclassic said:
You need to do a cable lash initialization process as shown in the service manual. Either do it yourself or go to the dealer. It's a full page in the manual. (2004 manual in my case, section 8, page 101) It will cure your problem. Your idle cable, the one with the cruise control switch, is out of adjustment.
Running the cable lash procedure will not affect the idle cable being out of adjustment. The cable lash initialization only adjusts the cable running from the cruise module to the throttle valve on the carb or EFI.

I do agree it is probably just the idle cable set too tight. Adjust the throttle cables per the service manual instructions, or simply loosen the idle cable 1/2 a turn and see if the problem goes away. The idle cable is the one closest to the rider.

I had a problem with my CC disengaging and it was caused by the roll off switch connectors rubbing against the frame/neck area and shorting out. I was unable to re-engage the cruise until I pulled on the wires in front of the tank on the right side, then I knew where the problem was.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
The Cruise Control Roll-Off Switch IS part of the idle cable. Therefore, when the cable lash initialization procedure is done correctly the idle cable will be set properly

·
repeat offender
691 Posts
newultraclassic said:
The Cruise Control Roll-Off Switch IS part of the idle cable. Therefore, when the cable lash initialization procedure is done correctly the idle cable will be set properly
I agree with the first part, yes the roll off switch is part of the idle cable. I believe your second sentence is incorrect- The cable lash initialization has nothing to do with the idle or throttle cables. There are 3 cables on the CC system, Throttle, Idle, and the cable that runs from the CC module to the Throttle Body. The cable from the CC module is the only thing being adjusted during the cable lash initialization.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts