293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some advice wanted here.
planning on 06 FLHXI build.
1550 kit boring done by Dealer, SE forged pistons with 9.6 CR,
SERT, SE high flow with Arlen Ness replacement filter, V&H Pro
pipes, Dewey's street pro heads with the Andrews 37G and S&S
gears. Cometic HG. to be dyno tuned in Frederick MD. Very good
at tuning but they said didn't normally use Andrews cams.
wanted to use S&S 570's which Dewey said was too much cam.
If all is well should get 109 TQ and near 100 HP. :woohoo:
Opinions and comments please.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
SEDELUXE05 said:
:dunno: well if dewey said it was to much cam i would have to beleive him
i bet you dewey forgot more about tuning than that guy knows.
and he sure knows his heads.
Before you go with the dealers S.E. 95 kit, talk to Dewey. You might save some money by going with a Wiseco kit (better than the S.E.s from where I stand) and have Dewey bore your jugs. Dewey can tell you why the Wiseco set is a better build, sorry I'm not techie enough to explain. Also, Dewey can sell you a Andrews gear drive kit and cams for cheap if he does your heads.

Now about the 37G... it is a perfect cam to go with Dewey's heads and it is a proven performer... go look at the dynos on his web site if you need proof. As said earlier, if Dewey says the 570's are too much than you might want to listen to him... he was grinding heads back in the stone age. Most tuners that don't understand how Dewey's heads flow won't believe a 37G can hit those numbers. I've already found this out the hard way. But if you get an open minded tuner that knows what He's doing on a dyno and can adjust the Pro Pipe baffles as needed and get the PCIII or SERT dialed in correctly, it is possible to hit those numbers. if you want more power or pickup after the build. swap the primary gears out to 3.37 gearing and you'll be doing wheelies off the line on that Glide.

Talk to Dewey before you go any further, He's a straight shooter and unlike the dealer he won't screw ya.

Good luck!

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
rpbrock said:
Before you go with the dealers S.E. 95 kit, talk to Dewey. You might save some money by going with a Wiseco kit (better than the S.E.s from where I stand) and have Dewey bore your jugs. Dewey can tell you why the Wiseco set is a better build, sorry I'm not techie enough to explain. Also, Dewey can sell you a Andrews gear drive kit and cams for cheap if he does your heads.

Talk to Dewey before you go any further, He's a straight shooter and unlike the dealer he won't screw ya.

Good luck!
I spoke to Dewey a couple of days ago and his recommendation was the Screamin' Eagle jugs and Wiseco pistons. He told me that he really doesn't like to or have time to bore cylinders and the SE jugs have a fantastic hone and he's yet to see a set that had unacceptable tolerances for either bore size or roundness. He also said the Wiseco pistons are a perfect drop in for every set of jugs he's checked. So if you buy your jugs from a discount Harley dealer you'll only be putting out 50-75 bucks more than having yours bored. You can always get some of that back by selling them to someone else that needs a set to bore.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
jasilva said:
I spoke to Dewey a couple of days ago and his recommendation was the Screamin' Eagle jugs and Wiseco pistons. He told me that he really doesn't like to or have time to bore cylinders and the SE jugs have a fantastic hone and he's yet to see a set that had unacceptable tolerances for either bore size or roundness. He also said the Wiseco pistons are a perfect drop in for every set of jugs he's checked. So if you buy your jugs from a discount Harley dealer you'll only be putting out 50-75 bucks more than having yours bored. You can always get some of that back by selling them to someone else that needs a set to bore.

Joe
Boring out the jugs cuts into his drinking time....
Wiseco's and S.E. jugs... that will work fine!!!

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
@gree: Virtually ALL the guru's on here (there must be a millenium of experience between 'em!!!) are sold on the performance of the "37" for your build...I'm taking their advice as well....

·
Registered
780 Posts
All the S.E. jugs that I have checked were within .0002 round a taper. They will measure 3.875 and Wisecos {standard} will measure 3.8725 that is .0025 clearance. Perfect !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts