V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have done a lot of reading and there is a lot of opinions out there. I have not done a lot of upgrading, but here are my plans and concerns:

Windshield: Went from the stock 4" to the HD Dark Smoke 6 1/2", wind went from hitting me in the eyes to hiting me in the forehead, not bad untill I put on a helmet then it is real annoying. Think I need to go to the 9", need sugestions, preferably dark smoke.

Seat: Stock seat sucks, considering Mustang or Corbin solo w/passenger pillon. Other than price what is the main diferences, do either or both put you further back on the bike? I am 5'6" and do not need to be any further back fom the bars than I am now. Speaking of which, has any one had experience with the REACH Pull back bars offered by Harley. I really need to relieve some arm and back strain. I hope this can be accomplished by getting the bars closer to me.

Exhaust: I just purchased a set of V&H Basic slip ons. Here is what I plan to do without getting too complicated or spending too much. I plan to go with the K&N air filter and the V&H FuelPak. I expect a better sound with slightly better performance. I know the FuelPak limits me to sticking with V&H, but thats OK.

I probably sound like a rookie, that's because I am. Your experience is helpful, because money doesn't grow on trees. Making the right choice the first time is the best time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
StreetBill said:
Windshield: Went from the stock 4" to the HD Dark Smoke 6 1/2"
I agree! I probably will go to the 6 1/2"... I tried the highest dark smoke windshield and it is hard to ride at night... I wont do that...


StreetBill said:
Seat: Stock seat sucks,
I found it quite confortable for the driver... not as confortable for the passenger... I'm going to bay a small sissy bar


StreetBill said:
has any one had experience with the REACH Pull back bars offered by Harley. I really need to relieve some arm and back strain. I hope this can be accomplished by getting the bars closer to me.
I'm waiting for someone that lets me try this bar so that I can compare to mani and decide which one is the best... however I feel confortable with stock one so that I wonto probably need it...


StreetBill said:
Exhaust: I just purchased a set of V&H Basic slip ons.
No mods on my SG right now... I'll upgrade to stage 1 A/C & remap and a better-sound mufflers as soon as I'll service it. Maybe SE will be enough...

ciao...

F
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
108 Posts
I have done th 6 1/2 and I am also going to go with the 9 for the winter and then probobly back to the 6 1/2 in the summer. I put the screamin eagle pipes on mine with the download and air cleaner. When I get some more money I am going to go with the sert and have it dynoed. I love this bike and plan on having it for a long time so i am going to try to get it running as good as I can and hopefully keep it that way. i am also considering a seat for mine for longer rides. I was leaning towards HD's sundowner for the street glide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
things I have changed on mine are, went to the 95" stage II engine upgrade with race tuner, installed samson rolling thunder ovals pipes, installed the rear pasenger back rest (quick detachable) installed the smoked lens kit. Its now winter up here in canada and bike is in the shop for winter, so things I am doing to it over the winter are front lowering kit, black front lower forks and upper sleeves and bottom fairing trim, changing the seat (not sure to what yet) installing progessive shocks on the rear, going with the skull collection on everything I can, painting the inner fairing vivid black to match bike. and if I can afford it might have some head work done also.

FLHX vivid black
95" stage II
SE race tuner
samson ovals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
I had the same problem with the windshield. I wound up getting the 8 inch sunglass grey from fastaire.com. They have a 9 inch as well. Couldn't be happier with it for the price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Ebay has multiple posts for Dark tinted windhields for 'Glides in all different sizes with pics of each one installed on the bike, so you can get a visual. They have them from 4" to 12" in 2" increments I think.

For the seat, I also did not want to be further from the bars, I definitly wanted more back support and wanted a solo with a removable pillion. And I didn't want a seat that made me sit an inch higher, like the Mustang, etc.

I liked the Stock Bars Hight and Pull back and had my highway pegs exactly where I wanted them, so I knew what I really needed was a seat that could be made to fit me the way I wanted it to and not an "off the shelf" seat.

I went with the Monterey from Lepera. They sent it to me with no cover on it and I got to mount it on the bike and then draw on it to modify it to fit me exactly where I wanted to be on the bike for my arms, neck and legs.

They did a great job on the mods, sent it out to me again with no cover on it so I could test it and make sure it was what I wanted. I gave the ok and then they put the cover on it and sent it back out to me.

Lepera definitly hooked me up, it fits me perfectly and the fit and finish are great.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,321 Posts
Bought my black cherry SG last Thursday, and have 900 miles on it. Just did a 500 mile road trip from Baltimore to Vagina Beach and back. The windscreen is too short, but looks too cool to change...I'll live with it. The seat was excellent for me. I put on Bubs True Duals, the stage 1 EFI air cleaner, and a Race Tuner kit.

KK

1898 FXR Corbin "Warbird" Custom
2004 Sportster 1200R
2006 Street Glide


StreetBill said:
OK, I have done a lot of reading and there is a lot of opinions out there. I have not done a lot of upgrading, but here are my plans and concerns:

Windshield: Went from the stock 4" to the HD Dark Smoke 6 1/2", wind went from hitting me in the eyes to hiting me in the forehead, not bad untill I put on a helmet then it is real annoying. Think I need to go to the 9", need sugestions, preferably dark smoke.

Seat: Stock seat sucks, considering Mustang or Corbin solo w/passenger pillon. Other than price what is the main diferences, do either or both put you further back on the bike? I am 5'6" and do not need to be any further back fom the bars than I am now. Speaking of which, has any one had experience with the REACH Pull back bars offered by Harley. I really need to relieve some arm and back strain. I hope this can be accomplished by getting the bars closer to me.

Exhaust: I just purchased a set of V&H Basic slip ons. Here is what I plan to do without getting too complicated or spending too much. I plan to go with the K&N air filter and the V&H FuelPak. I expect a better sound with slightly better performance. I know the FuelPak limits me to sticking with V&H, but thats OK.

I probably sound like a rookie, that's because I am. Your experience is helpful, because money doesn't grow on trees. Making the right choice the first time is the best time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
StreetBill said:
OK, I have done a lot of reading and there is a lot of opinions out there. I have not done a lot of upgrading, but here are my plans and concerns:

Windshield: Went from the stock 4" to the HD Dark Smoke 6 1/2", wind went from hitting me in the eyes to hiting me in the forehead, not bad untill I put on a helmet then it is real annoying. Think I need to go to the 9", need sugestions, preferably dark smoke.

*-I went with the 9 1/2 inch Harley light tint windshield & matching fairing air deflectors. Now I have a relatively "calm" pocket of air from my knees to the top of my helmet.

Seat: Stock seat sucks, considering Mustang or Corbin solo w/passenger pillon. Other than price what is the main diferences, do either or both put you further back on the bike? I am 5'6" and do not need to be any further back fom the bars than I am now. Speaking of which, has any one had experience with the REACH Pull back bars offered by Harley. I really need to relieve some arm and back strain. I hope this can be accomplished by getting the bars closer to me.

*-Repaced stock seat with the Sundowner touring saddle and matching backrest. Very comfortable for both myself and my wife. Haven't changed out my handlebars.

Exhaust: I just purchased a set of V&H Basic slip ons. Here is what I plan to do without getting too complicated or spending too much. I plan to go with the K&N air filter and the V&H FuelPak. I expect a better sound with slightly better performance. I know the FuelPak limits me to sticking with V&H, but thats OK.

*-Stock engine/exhaust here (I'm not a "power junkie")

I probably sound like a rookie, that's because I am. Your experience is helpful, because money doesn't grow on trees. Making the right choice the first time is the best time.
Also, if you find the lowered air shocks are not to your liking, try Progessive 440's.

regards
 

·
Just Above Idle
Joined
·
108 Posts
Note, I went with the Corbin hollywood solo designed for the Electra Glide CVO, the tank is the same and the saddle fits perfectly however it drops your seat hight aprox 2". Very nice if your shorter or in my case like to feel in the bike rather than over it. Also, regardless of what Corbin tells you the pillions fit great with this model.
Good Luck! Zen
http://www.corbin.com/harley/baggers/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
The Corbins are great once broken in , I'd go with a back rest , they are adjustable and reduce the back fatigue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Bought my Street Glide in early October.
Put SE slip ons, SE air cleaner, with 1550 download.
New X2 grips
Put the 9" shield on.
Now have the 3 bag unit for the dash for extras behind that new shield.
Have highway pegs but not yet mounted.
Put the passenger backrest (quick detatch) on.
And of course I have my battery tender plug mounted to the battery as on all my HDs
Looking into the Sundowner Seat for the Street Glide for more long distance comfort.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top