V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to install the low rider chrome console and guages on a streeter? I gotta swap the wrinkle console and was wondering whether it has been done/possible.

Thx

·
Part Time Hero (Retired)
208 Posts
DD,

Fitting the chrome console shouldn't be a problem, the Low Rider and Street Bob have the same gas tank..... "however, comma" installing a tach could be a problem.

When I bought my Street Bob, I asked the dealer to install a tachometer; couldn't be done because there is no electrical hook up for one. I asked why; a tach is a pretty simple instrument, should require no more than 3 wires: power, ground, and an impulse wire to the coil..... I was told the H-D tachs get their input from the ECM, and the Street Bob wiring harness doesn't include a tach connector :huh: uh...okay....but it's just a "dressed down" Low Rider... I was also told that when the Sportsters were changed in 2004, there was intially no tach connection on for the bikes that didn't come stock with one....but the MoCo came out with a tach to fit them about a year later....

Hopefully someone with a better understanding of this will weigh in here and correct any misrepresentations I may have made...just repeating what I think I was told..

Good luck with your project! If you work it out, post pics!!! And let us know how you did it!

JD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think that I need to get an electrical manual and see where the connector location is. I can't imagine that HD makes 2 different ECMs - 1 for LRider and another for a Street Bob that will not be there in 2007 lineup. What apparently is not possible is installing the WideGlide Console on the street bob due to the wiring harnesses being different (key location diff so logical that there are 2 different wiring harnesses). Should be getting the beastie in January - will keep up the pressure on the dealer for more info.

·
Part Time Hero (Retired)
208 Posts
Dingo,

The Wide Glide gas tank is a different shape, so I don't think the console would fit any way .....

The Street Bob is just a Low Rider with a different console/seat/handle bar set up (at least to my untrained eye). I can't see why any of the wiring harnesses or electrical connections would be different...but that's the explanation I got from the dealer. I haven't ordered the service manuals yet, but I can't see why there wouldn't be a tach connection..... anyway, post up if you learn anything new from your dealer!

JD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Not in 2007 lineup" - I read this somewhere in the forum that the Street Bob replaced the "Sport" and that another one will replace it for 2007. This may not be true but it does make sense as it adds a fresh wind into the dyna series.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
I thought I got this photo from this forum, but now I cant find anything on it..
If anyone remembers this thread please post...

Couldn't insert photo but it was a Street Bob that had a tach monted in tank console as usuall.I remember he said it was pretty easy except for cuttinf the hole and running wires.. But he didnt say anthing about hookup problems..
I'll try later to insert photo
Thx

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Suuper thx eh! if the upload doesn't work could you send it to me directly at

d.huisman at tiscali.it

- it must be possible!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
I just looked in my 05 Low Rider service manual, and it shows the ECM has an output for a tach at the #3 position. Shouldn't be to difficult to add a factory wire terminal through the ECM terminal connector, and run the wire. If I was you, I would find out why the H-D dealer said it couldn't be done. If fact, I would call another H-D dealer and ask. I wouldn't think H-D would have a different ECM on a Street Bob.

Thorns

·
Part Time Hero (Retired)
208 Posts
RonnR

Thanks for the photo!!

JD

·
Part Time Hero (Retired)
208 Posts
Thorns,

Thanks for the info. When I get my service manuals, I will do the install myself.

JD

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Starting in 2004, they quit running the wire in the harness from the ECM up to the dash for the tach impulse on models that don't come with Tachs. I guess it saves them $.00002 per unit sold. But, the newer tach kits for 04 and later bikes come with the wire and pin to be inserted into the ECM connector and run up to the dash. Tell your dealer to pull up one of the tach kits on the computer, and print out the instructions. They give details on how to run that wire.

·
Part Time Hero (Retired)
208 Posts
AustinFXDWG said:
Starting in 2004, they quit running the wire in the harness from the ECM up to the dash for the tach impulse on models that don't come with Tachs. I guess it saves them $.00002 per unit sold. But, the newer tach kits for 04 and later bikes come with the wire and pin to be inserted into the ECM connector and run up to the dash. Tell your dealer to pull up one of the tach kits on the computer, and print out the instructions. They give details on how to run that wire.

Thanks AustinFXDWG! :bowdwn:

JD

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thx RonnR; fr8dog and Austin! Am going Saturday to the dealer as they have a hard time answering emails..........gonna confront them and see what the price tag is for the tach with Lowrider console versus a chrome console for my Streeter....this may not be cheap as my dealer is in Vienna Austria so there is the European duty as well to the normal st(d)ealer list price

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
It all been done before.........

Thorns said:
I just looked in my 05 Low Rider service manual, and it shows the ECM has an output for a tach at the #3 position. Shouldn't be to difficult to add a factory wire terminal through the ECM terminal connector, and run the wire. If I was you, I would find out why the H-D dealer said it couldn't be done. If fact, I would call another H-D dealer and ask. I wouldn't think H-D would have a different ECM on a Street Bob.

Thorns
You guys need to get out of the Dyna section once in awhile :) it's all there, pictures & part numbers

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61485

1 - 16 of 16 Posts