V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My bike is an 06 Streeb Bob, stock with SE aircleaner, Cycle Shack slip ons, stage 1 ECU flash, 7000 miles, run on 93 / 91 octane gas since day one. So far no signs of lean condition, no popping, farting through aircleaner, no excessive heat. Runs great with only the slightest hint of hesitation when rolling at moderate to slow speeds with the throttle just barely off the peg (and that may be my imagination).

Now all of a sudden I get this tinkling noise under acceleration coming from the tank/ engine (hard to pinpoint when riding). I let her warm up, go for a couple of miles and get on her- no noise. Only happens when the engine is really warm and only under load. Depending on how hard I get on her it´s more or less audible. Outside Air Temperatures fairly moderate- between 70 and 85 °F. There doesn´t seem to be any noticable loss of power and drivability is perfectly normal otherwise- no stumbling or hesitation or anything.
I´ve checked everything accessible to make sure the sound isn´t coming from a loose fastener, gas cap or heat shield or any such thing. Also, I do know the mechanical noises coming from the valve train and I don´t think it´s anything coming from there.

From all I´ve heard and read here on the forum I would think I´m dealing with pinging / spark knock / detonation. Some circumstances don´t make sense to me (the layman) though, so let me hit you with a couple of questions:

Why pinging now? The bike was doing fine in its current setup in anything from sea level to 7000 feet in temps from just above freezing to well over 100° F one and two up.

"Bad" or contaminated gas? Like I said, I always used 91 octane or better, usually get top tier gas but have gassed up at mom and pop gas stations without ill effects. Since I first noticed the pinging I have added about 3 gal to the 5 gal tank 3 times with the pinging unchanged if not worse (that of course may be my paranoia...) Shouldn´t sub standard (octane-wise) gas have been diluted out by now?

Could contaminants be causing this problem? Could such contaminants cause permanent damage to sensors / injectors / plugs that would cause pinging even after the dirty gas was washed out?

I usually ride for a between a week and 3 weeks, then store the bike for up to 4 months- usually less. I always add the recommended amount of StaBil fuel stabilizer before storing the bike. Could the StaBil be causing the pinging or some form of build up that could lead to it?

I am unfortunately back in Germany where I can´t play with the bike. I would like to know what I´m dealing with as far as possible, so I can schedule shop time for my next stay in Alabama if necessary. Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Sponk

·
Registered
798 Posts
Could be as simple as bad gas. Dump the current gas (use for lawnmower) put in some fresh stuff and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
I would start by changing out the plugs, buddies bike started pinging a bit (05 WG) and it was as simple as some carbon builup on the plug causing a hot spot, you may also have carbon buildup in the combustion chamber causing sharp little edges and hot spots that could cause the fuel mixture to pre ignite. I have seen various posts here on how to get rid of the carbon, some guys run a little Marvel mystery oil in a tank of gas, others mist water into the a/c while the bike is running. The only other thing I could think of would be a possible intake leak, easy enough to check for that.

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi!

It´s been a while, but I thought I´d warm up my own old thread iso starting a new one.

Since I last posted I have religiously gassed up only on 93 octane, only at gas stations that have a seperate hose for premium etc.
I have ridden the bike in winter with temps barely touching 70 and wasn´t getting any ping. I was very reluctant to really "get on it" though, and usually I don´t anyway, so I wasn´t really testing the bike for it.

Recently then, I was riding in the Smokies, and was having some fun with the bike on the Dragon etc. (temps in the 90s) when lo and behold that faint "tinkling" sound was back (still there), typically accellerating out of turns uphill, more or less full throttle. The ping was a lot less obvious and harder to provoke than when I first noticed it last year, but it´s definitely there.

For the stated reasons I don´t think it´s a "bad gas" issue, even though that might have aggravated it last year. Now my dealer tech says they looked at the plugs and think it is running lean- the remedy being a SERT and a dyno tune for $700...

My questions are:
Can this really be a lean condition? The bike has a stage 1 ECU flash, shouldn´t that make it sufficiently rich? Also, as I have said before, there are no ridability issues that would lead me to think of a lean condition.

How much damage will this kind of detonation cause?
$700 bucks seem like a lot to get rid of something I rarely experience. Will a SERT and a dyno tune really get rid of this problem anyway?

Octane boosters- Do they work? I´ve read in several posts that some think they do, others say they mess up the O2 sensors...

I have the original 8° injectors. Would 25° injectors help?

Finally, is there any chance this is not detonation? When I describe the sound and the conditions under which it appears, everybody says "Ping" right away, but my description "like a small necklace chain tinkling away inside the tank" or "as if there was a hole in a fuel line causing a thin, high pressure stream of gas hitting the inside of the tank" would fit just that (a hole in the fuel line), too, wouldn´t it?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!
Sponk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sponk,

Is the pinging kind of screaching sound, almost like a chirp. The reason I ask is have a 07 that did the same thing. I checked the plugs, engine temp, exhuast (gaskets, bolts, etc.). Came to find out it was my voltage regulator make the noise as I was putting the bike under load. $99 bucks to replace...good as new. Not sure if you pinging is the same as mine was but it's an easy check and cheap to fix if that is what it is...

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Sponk

Having never seen or heard your bike I am 100% certain that it is the HD ping. More pronounced when ambient air and bike are HOT and bike under load. And, it is primarily caused by a lean condition set by the factory ie, too much advance in the timing.

A SERT and proper tune (adjusting timing and air/fuel ratio) can eliminate the ping. All the flash at the dealer does is relieve you of $150. The majority of HDs on the road have this same lean condition and it doesn't appear to be causing any problems. Your dilemma is whether or not to spend the big $ to eleiminate Mr Ping

I doubt that fuel additives will help cause that doesn't adjust air/fuel or timing.

FYI, Tuning the sert eliminated the ping on my 06 Ultra.

Bwana01

·
Seasonably Uncool
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sponk

A SERT and proper tune (adjusting timing and air/fuel ratio) can eliminate the ping. All the flash at the dealer does is relieve you of $150. The majority of HDs on the road have this same lean condition and it doesn't appear to be causing any problems. Your dilemma is whether or not to spend the big $ to eleiminate Mr Ping

Bwana01
I´m wondering why the Stage 1 flash wouldn´t make the mixture rich enough and set the timing voodoo right...

Well, I guess I´ll be getting a dyno tune sometime this winter and it had better work! ;)

Sponk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts