V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Let me just start off with saying that, if it weren't for the Street Bob, I would not have purchased a Harley and would have just purchased a basic street bike. I did not want to get caught up in the aftermarket. The Bob fulfilled all my Harley requirements:

• Not a Sportster
  • Non-pretentious
  • Was not begging for chrome upgrades
  • Looks best without them (in denim black), IMHO
  • Pretty good price for a bike I'll be happy with for life
I rode the bike home in rush hour traffic having to make a hard right turn out of the dealership. It was the first bike I'd ridden in almost 15 years and was more than twice the size of anything I'd ridden prior. Rode like a dream. Easy clutch and responded nicely. The mini apes feel great and I can get by on the mid controls. Forwards will be necessary if you're 6'0 or taller. The EFI makes for easy starts and I'm happy to have that over a carb. Since I'm still breaking it in, I haven't realized the pros/cons of the 6 speed tranny yet.

Although the handlebars do a heavy vibration when idling on the jiffy, I don't feel a thing when riding. Smooth as silk. Rubber mounts are a good thing.

The Bob is targeting a different niche. I happen to be in that niche (I don't want a shiny bike). If you're in it too, you'll like it.

Whiff

·
Registered
124 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
Let me just start off with saying that, if it weren't for the Street Bob, I would not have purchased a Harley and would have just purchased a basic street bike. I did not want to get caught up in the aftermarket. The Bob fulfilled all my Harley requirements:

• Not a Sportster
  • Non-pretentious
  • Was not begging for chrome upgrades
  • Looks best without them (in denim black), IMHO
  • Pretty good price for a bike I'll be happy with for life
I rode the bike home in rush hour traffic having to make a hard right turn out of the dealership. It was the first bike I'd ridden in almost 15 years and was more than twice the size of anything I'd ridden prior. Rode like a dream. Easy clutch and responded nicely. The mini apes feel great and I can get by on the mid controls. Forwards will be necessary if you're 6'0 or taller. The EFI makes for easy starts and I'm happy to have that over a carb. Since I'm still breaking it in, I haven't realized the pros/cons of the 6 speed tranny yet.

Although the handlebars do a heavy vibration when idling on the jiffy, I don't feel a thing when riding. Smooth as silk. Rubber mounts are a good thing.

The Bob is targeting a different niche. I happen to be in that niche (I don't want a shiny bike). If you're in it too, you'll like it.

Whiff
Concur with above! I too have a Denim 'Bob" as my first Harley and couldn't have said it better. However, at 6'1'' I'm comfortable, perhaps because all I have ridden is motocross and desert bikes.~!Awesome!

·
This space for rent
221 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I've ridden 2 and I have to say they were the most fun I've has on the street in 20 years. I think I would opt for forward controls , and perhaps a different seat , but it's a great ride

·
Premium Member
33 Posts

Not a Sportster
Non-pretentious
Was not begging for chrome upgrades
Looks best without them (in denim black), IMHO
Pretty good price for a bike I'll be happy with for life
Whiffleboy couldn't have said it better. Mine is vivid black, added passenger seat because it was the cheapest choice for a place to strap a bag for an overnighter. Also added the adjustable (2 position) highway bars to stretch out. Personally I like have the mids and highway bars so I can move around. This bike is feels very planted on the road, confidence inspiring. I will have this bike a long time. A definite keeper.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Topsail said:
Take away the EFI and 02 sensors and it would be a great bike.
Come on now....do you really want a carb on your car too! I do agree with the no O2 sensor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Topsail said:
Take away the EFI and 02 sensors and it would be a great bike.
Once the MOCO gets the bugs out you'll be singing a different tune. No more downloading different MAPS that may or may not work. The O2 sensor is vital to monitor the engines F/A ratio.

Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
While I do sorta like the Street Bob (Im not in the niche of going wild over flat black parts).....

.....I wonder why "Not A Sportster" was a requirement?

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
While I do sorta like the Street Bob (Im not in the niche of going wild over flat black parts).....

.....I wonder why "Not A Sportster" was a requirement?
First of all, I'm not Sportster bashing so I don't want to come across that way. They're great bikes...just not what I'm looking for in a Harley.

A Harley was going to be a one-shot deal for me. If I were going to get one it would have to be one that I'd be happy with for many, many years. I don't think a Sportster would've done that for me. So if a Sportster were to be the only call, I would have just saved my money, bought something different, and addressed the Harley at some other time in my future.

Although I'm not really a chrome guy, I also realize how dull stock Harleys can look. Especially riding up against all the chromed-out customs. The only way I could've afforded a big bike was to get it stock. I don't think I would've been happy with that either. A Sportster would've been about the only Harley I could've afforded and still upgraded it to look better than stock. Again, see above.

The Street Bob looks great stock, IMHO. Kind of an anti-chrome design, if you ask me. It's a fresh alternative to the chrome look. It was a big bike and in my price range. Perfect match.

Whiff

·
Registered
537 Posts
With EFI you get what you get.

If you want to be able to make true performance upgrades, carb is the only way to fly imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts