V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback, just rode home on my brand new Sportster 1200 Custom and the engine seemed to backfire quite a bit and lerch for no apparent reason.

It was pretty cold, low 40's but my ride home was 50 miles and the engine was certainly warmed up by the end of the ride but it did this throughout the entire trip.

Not sure if it was set up incorrectly, the cold, not broken in yet or just part of the package.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
was the enricher used and then pushed in when warmed up. I've rode my wifes 05 1200C and I thought it was a bit ruff running, although I found it likes for you to get on the throttle and not baby it. runs much better when you feed it some gas.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Unless I am wrong Sportsers are evos. Correct?
My first guess is temp, bikes stock are pretty lean. That being said is it your first HD? When I first got mine I thought it was going to explode.

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
berserker said:
Unless I am wrong Sportsers are evos. Correct?
My first guess is temp, bikes stock are pretty lean. That being said is it your first HD? When I first got mine I thought it was going to explode.
That last sentence made me crack up. I was the same way. It's like WTF, they forgot to put oil in it.

·
Lazy 98
355 Posts
My first question to the dealer when I got my first HD was "Is there something loose, or are those just normal Harley noises?"{salute(

·
Registered
297 Posts
The bike comes from the factory very lean to meet EPA specs. Cold air is denser and contains more oxygen, therefore the bike is even leaner. Normal stuff. You can rejet the carb, along with a few other modifications, and make it run much better...........Bill

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
nauipro said:
The bike comes from the factory very lean to meet EPA specs. Cold air is denser and contains more oxygen, therefore the bike is even leaner. Normal stuff. You can rejet the carb, along with a few other modifications, and make it run much better...........Bill

If it is a CV carb, I would siggest changing the mid jet to one size larger. I'm guessing here but it probably has a #42 and needs a #45. The main jet is not the problem. You will also probably have to open the cap under the idle jet and open that to about two turns or so.

They are set that way with carbs at the factory.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I logged quite a few miles on an 04' 1200R in all sorts of weather, from the mid-teens to warm but raining sooo hard I had to empty my turn signals when I got home. The bike always ran very smoothly with only the occaisional sneeze. Follow the manual's direction for use of the enricher. You might want to check for air leaks and check the plugs. Ultimately, the dealer should make sure you're happy with the bike. If you get in rejetting and such you'll find it's a breeze and can be done in about 5-10 minutes once you know what your doing. That's a realy nice bike, enjoy.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Ummmm, you post a question about a Sportster in the twin cam forum?
Mod's, let's move this where it belongs.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've had my 1200R for a week now. It's a great bike and handles better then I thought it would but whats up with all that noise? It's a used 04 with 18K miles and wonder if it needs an overhaul or something. Once it warms up it runs ok but even when warm its kind of slow from a standing start. I have to rev it up a bit to get it moving.

Is there a way to tell if the carbs have been jetted? Or if any mods have been done? The dealer couldn't say cause it wasn't purchased from a HD dealer. I picked it up from a Triumph dealership where they didn't seem to like having it on their lot.

The engine has a broken whining sound from the left side when I let off the throttle also. When idling you can hear the occasional chain slap somewhere in the engine. Standing behind the bike the exhaust sounds nice but you can't hear anything other then mechanical engine noises when riding the thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts