V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I went adn purchased the SERT for my Roadglide...Are there "base" maps pre configured for a Roadglide with SE Air Cleaner/SE Pro II slip on's...I ma in no shape form or fashion a gear head and I understand all the things associated with the fine tuning of SERT however, with no real world experience, no dynodon't won't to FUBAR my new 06 Roadglide (FLTRI)....

Are there default maps that come with the purchase of a SERT to allow a newbie a clean install?

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Not to be a party pooper, but the base maps are essentially the dealer downloads. $200-300 for a dyno tune will be the best money you've spent on your bike. IF you have somebody local who knows a SERT from a hole in the ground.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Joe I would recommend not purchasing anything unless you are going to get the benefit of the unit by allowing a qualified experienced tuner use the tool you are speaking of buying to create a custom map for your bike. There is a generic map already on the SERT for an '06 touring bike with 1450 motor, SE aircleaner and the SE touring mufflers p/n 65115-98B (but don't think these are the same as the ones you have). This map is file # 141NR001-A0.MT6.

Find the best tuner in your area and if he likes power commander go that route or if he likes SERT go that route, after all it is just a tool that they can use to tune your bike, nothing more.

Hope this helps. Send me a pm and I will chat with you some more about it.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Megaglide, I appreciate the info....No party pooping going on here...Just looking for valuable information...So if I drop $500 for the SERT and then another $200-$300 bucks I will have a "screaming mimi" Roadglide that will not hesitate and die at red lights? No popping on decel, or any other anomally(sp)????

How do I find an "experienced" SERT tech or Power commander tech? I am sure if I asked any dealer they are going to say "sure we've done hundreds of them; come on in and we'll fix you right up" #@SasF#

Roadglider PM on the way!!! Thanks!!!:bowdwn:

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Ask here for a proven tuner in your area. You aren't gonna get 100/100 w/ Stage I, but the difference will be noticable.

·
Banned
48 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Not to be a party pooper, but the base maps are essentially the dealer downloads. .
Sorry - you're wrong here. The SERT mars ARE different than the downloads the dealer loads. For example, there is no map the dealer can load for a 1450 with a/c and pipes - look in the book - all the street legal maps are for O/E mufflers. Now, the SERT maps ARE set to run with ac/ and mufflers, and YES there is a base map in the SERT for that.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Harleyguy1998 said:
Sorry - you're wrong here. The SERT mars ARE different than the downloads the dealer loads. For example, there is no map the dealer can load for a 1450 with a/c and pipes - look in the book - all the street legal maps are for O/E mufflers. Now, the SERT maps ARE set to run with ac/ and mufflers, and YES there is a base map in the SERT for that.
That blur that just flashed by to your left there?
Didn't see it?
That's OK, it was only my point.
No matter the configurations they offer, they ALL pale in comparison to a dyno tune. They are generic and don't get the most your bike has to offer, just like the downloads at the dealer.

·
Banned
48 Posts
MegaGlide said:
That blur that just flashed by to your left there?
Didn't see it?
That's OK, it was only my point.
No matter the configurations they offer, they ALL pale in comparison to a dyno tune. They are generic and don't get the most your bike has to offer, just like the downloads at the dealer.
Your blur was going too fast in the wrong direction. The Stage 1 map on the Tuner is awesome and works great with the parts it is designed for. But, as I learned long ago, arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics. Even if you win, you're still retarded. So, after trying to lead a horse to water, I've said my peace.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Harleyguy1998 said:
So who wins?:hmmm:
One word of advice, you might want to hang around and read some post so you learn who on this forum knows what they are talking about and who is blowing smoke before you try and correct them, its like bringing a knife to a gun fight. You'll find there are several folks who provide a valuable pool of knowledge and information, their input can save you bucks and grief.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
The maps in the SERT are different than the 06 downloads...the down loads are for a/c and cat muflers. the SERT maps are for a/c and open (no cats) slipons. But the target a/f ratios are too lean and the mid range VE's are also.
So who's side am I on ???
the canned map as is wont hurt the bike...but it can be changed to make it much better.....Alright!! so who's side am I on anyway !!
SH*T..now I'm arguing with myself.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
joeschmoe said:
If I went adn purchased the SERT for my Roadglide...Are there "base" maps pre configured for a Roadglide with SE Air Cleaner/SE Pro II slip on's...I ma in no shape form or fashion a gear head and I understand all the things associated with the fine tuning of SERT however, with no real world experience, no dynodon't won't to FUBAR my new 06 Roadglide (FLTRI)....
Are there default maps that come with the purchase of a SERT to allow a newbie a clean install?
I'm no expert and I'm not disagreeing with anyone in this thread. All I have is my experience with my '06 Dyna. I bought some SEII slip ons and ran them with the stock AC and stock EFI config. Everyone said this would work fine. Well it did work, but I felt like performance was lacking vs the stock pipes. I was like you, reading threads and wondering if I needed a SERT or a DFO or a PCIII. I stopped by the dealer and on the spur of the moment, decided to get the stage I download installed. I figured it was quick, cheap and easy. Took 15 minutes and the bike runs fantastic. It has loads more power and sounds great all the way through the RPM range. The wrench at the dealer told me it might run a little rich until I add the SE AC, but it wouldn't hurt anything. It runs perfect now and I'm ordering the SE AC this week.

The point is - yes, the SERT is a great tool. If you want maximum performance, and money is no issue, then buy the SERT and get a dyno tuner to create a map. If you plan to do other engine mods, then buy the SERT. But if all you want is SEII slipons and an SE AC and your goal is a nice sounding, good running bike, then the Stage I download will work just fine.

I'm going to add the SE AC and leave it at that. The SERT would probably get me a couple more horsepower, but it's not worth the money to me. I'm happy with the power I've got. The main thing for me was to get the stock mufflers off there and make the bike sound like a Harley.

One other thing to think about - Keep in mind that you've got an '06 bike. If you buy the SERT and start installing your own maps, and tinkering with the EFI, then later have an engine prob, HD is probably going to try and void your warranty on your powertrain. If you let the dealer do a download, you don't have that problem. If you want to tinker, you can add a DFO (or similar device) and then simply remove it before taking it in for warranty work.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JamieWG said:
It has loads more power and sounds great all the way through the RPM range. The wrench at the dealer told me it might run a little rich until I add the SE AC, but it wouldn't hurt anything. It runs perfect now and I'm ordering the SE AC this week.

But if all you want is SEII slipons and an SE AC and your goal is a nice sounding, good running bike, then the Stage I download will work just fine.

I'm going to add the SE AC and leave it at that. The SERT would probably get me a couple more horsepower, but it's not worth the money to me. I'm happy with the power I've got. The main thing for me was to get the stock mufflers off there and make the bike sound like a Harley.

One other thing to think about - Keep in mind that you've got an '06 bike. If you buy the SERT and start installing your own maps, and tinkering with the EFI, then later have an engine prob, HD is probably going to try and void your warranty on your powertrain. If you let the dealer do a download, you don't have that problem. If you want to tinker, you can add a DFO (or similar device) and then simply remove it before taking it in for warranty work.

That is all I am doing to my ride other than adding some chrome....No more engine mods!!! I just wanted to get some additional throttle response and a "TRUE" Harley sound...The stock pipes were just to quiet!!!:wootdnc:

Unfortunately, I have to watch every penny and the price alone for the SERT is something I just don't want to do let alone screw up my warranty!!!

·
?????
3,531 Posts
JamieWG said:
I'm no expert and I'm not disagreeing with anyone in this thread. All I have is my experience with my '06 Dyna. I bought some SEII slip ons and ran them with the stock AC and stock EFI config. Everyone said this ) and then simply remove it before taking it in for warranty work.
The 06 Dyna is apples and oranges compaired to the other EFI bikes. I believe that you can get away with more on the Dyna's because they have an O2 sensor. The 02 sensor equiped bikes correct the AFR differently than the non O2 sensor equipped bikes.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
msocko3 said:
The 06 Dyna is apples and oranges compaired to the other EFI bikes. I believe that you can get away with more on the Dyna's because they have an O2 sensor. The 02 sensor equiped bikes correct the AFR differently than the non O2 sensor equipped bikes.
True, the bikes are different. But the guy only wants an SE AC and SE II pipes. The stage one download gets the job done 99.9% of the time with these parts. The SERT is a great tool, but there are thousands of bikes, just like his, out there running this combo with the download and having no problems, no?

·
?????
3,531 Posts
JamieWG said:
True, the bikes are different. But the guy only wants an SE AC and SE II pipes. The stage one download gets the job done 99.9% of the time with these parts. The SERT is a great tool, but there are thousands of bikes, just like his, out there running this combo with the download and having no problems, no?
Sure there are plenty older model bikes like that, I don't know how many 06's that there are. The 06 is the 1st model year with the catalyst muffler, going from the cat equipped muffler to a performance muffler is like trying to take a dump through a straw vs a 1" pipe. Adding the air filter will also increase breathing ability which means you are now able to move more air into the engine, yet you haven't added any more fuel to go with it. A person doesn't have to use the SERT, there are other options to add fuel such as DFO and Power Commander to name a couple. I can speak with 1st hand knowledge what happens when you roach your engine by making changes without adding enough fuel to go along with the changes. I decided to put V&H dresser duals on my 05 EG Classic with the SE Stage 1 air filter and SE 1 piece performance mufflers without making any changes to the map. One 94 deg day I was climbing a hill when I ran into a lean condition which started pre ignition. I went home and added fuel to the map with the SERT and solved the problem, so I thought. I had the bike at the dealer for an unrelated issue, they had to pull the spark plugs and when they did there was little balls of aluminum on them. They started poking around and when the MoCo found out that I messed with the map and exhaust I was responsible for paying the tab for any damages. It turned out that the aluminum was from the heads, there where little pock marks when they pulled them to install the Stage 2 kit that I decided to have them install. With a new bike you become the warranty if you make changes that the dealer won't buy into. Its like buying a new Chevy truck and putting a blower on it to boost the power and then kicking the rods out of the engine. Our friend Mr Goodwrench won't be footing the repair bill on that one because the truck didn't come with a blower from the factory.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
msocko3 said:
Sure there are plenty older model bikes like that, I don't know how many 06's that there are. The 06 is the 1st model year with the catalyst muffler, going from the cat equipped muffler to a performance muffler is like trying to take a dump through a straw vs a 1" pipe.
Ahhh, okay, I see your point. I suppose the dealer should know what's best then. If it were me, I'd ask them and see what they say. If he needs a SERT, then they should know. If the Stage I download is sufficient, they ought to know. If they don't know, it's easy enough to call several dealers or even the moco itself.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
JamieWG said:
Ahhh, okay, I see your point. I suppose the dealer should know what's best then. If it were me, I'd ask them and see what they say. If he needs a SERT, then they should know. If the Stage I download is sufficient, they ought to know. If they don't know, it's easy enough to call several dealers or even the moco itself.
I'm a 100% believer in that any modifications that I'm going to make I will work with the dealer on while the bike is still under warranty. On the other hand I've been lucky to find a dealer who is realistic and will work with you, some folks may have to search around to find a dealer that isn't a pinhead. I'm also a firm believer in the more informed one is on something the better off they will be when it comes time to make a decision. There are some sharp folks that hang around these forums, a person can either do some searching and more times than not find that the very question they have has been covered several times. I plan on having a build done on another bike some time on the future, I've followed somany good post that I already have a very good idea on what I want to incorporate into it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts