V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone...

Ok, so traded in the "Custom" Road King Custom, and decided to go with the Road Glide.

Love this bike!

Anyway, I have the stock 06' Radio and installed a set of Hogtunes for the front.

I also installed the black wind deflector to make the front fairing look more streamlined.

My problem....not sure if it's the wind deflector, or that the Hogtunes weren't what I was hearing from everyone.

These things are not that loud at all, and I can barely hear them!!!!

Now, I have tried on CD (and the sound is better), but with my Sirius Satellite, (yes the audio volume is up in the setup menu), I can barely hear it. And, it cuts out at higher volume! I'm not happy.

Anyone have any thoughts?? Should I try an AMP?? If so, any recommendations for the stocker 06' radio?? I really do not want to change the head unit because I want to be able to use the handlebar controls, but if I have to, than I will.

PLEASE HELP me out..........

Fire Away........

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Just wait

Pez will probably be chiming in soon. I don't know if the speaker impedence is the same on the '06' as the pre '06's. If you don't hear from Pez on this forum, give him a call.....

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Hmmm. I thought the rave about the Hogtunes was fluff until some buds of mine around here got them. They love em. I've heard them myself. They jam.

?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here I am.....

Many of you have seen posts that I recently took delivery of an 06 EGC. I immediatley put a set of our speakers in, and found that they were as loud as the new 2 ohmers, but sounded better. Any of you who have a good understanding of ohms should be impressed that our 6 ohm speaker keeps right up to a 2 ohm speaker on an amp made for a 2 ohm speaker!!

I then built up a custom hand made set of 2 ohm speakers to match the new radio. After about 300-350 miles of testing, the difference is so impressive, that I have started to "leak" on th boards like this one that we will have a new 2 ohm version by spring (hopefully Feb 06). Due to the impedance differences, I have to make the 2 ohm version look alot different so an unsuspecting dealer does not put the 2 ohm version on a pre-06 bike---after the fire goes out--he will have some splainin to do! (maybe just a new fuse) These changes will take a bit of time---and from the time I order--it takes 90 days to get to me from over seas.

The upshot of all this is that I plan on working on the website this weekend to announce the new model for 06 bikes--Vrod nyc-drop me an email and Ill see how I can help you out.

In no way should you need an amp once the new speakers come--were at the end of the season, so hangin till Feb will be worth while!

My email is [email protected]

CHEERS--and Ride Safe!--PEZ

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pez,

Thanks for the quick response. Email has been sent.

Does anyone out here have any ideas? Do you think I can get these HOGTUNES to work with an amp of some sort??

And, can I even get an amp to work with the 06' Harman Kardon Head Unit?? IF so....which one?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
vrod-NYC said:
Hey Everyone..
I also installed the black wind deflector to make the front fairing look more streamlined.

I've got one of those 4" black wind-deflectors on my E-Glide. I rode about 1,000 miles with it two summers ago and it hasn't been on my bike since. Too much wind battering you in the face CONSTANTLY. Had I waited a year I woulda got on of the 6" tall dark translucent that come on the SE E-Glides. Plus, you can't hear the stereo as well and it pushes all the bugs up into your face.......

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
vrod-NYC said:
Hey Everyone...

Ok, so traded in the "Custom" Road King Custom, and decided to go with the Road Glide.

Love this bike!

Anyway, I have the stock 06' Radio and installed a set of Hogtunes for the front.

My problem....not sure if it's the wind deflector, or that the Hogtunes weren't what I was hearing from everyone.

These things are not that loud at all, and I can barely hear them!!!!

Now, I have tried on CD (and the sound is better), but with my Sirius Satellite, (yes the audio volume is up in the setup menu), I can barely hear it. And, it cuts out at higher volume! I'm not happy.

Anyone have any thoughts?? Should I try an AMP?? If so, any recommendations for the stocker 06' radio?? I really do not want to change the head unit because I want to be able to use the handlebar controls, but if I have to, than I will.

PLEASE HELP me out..........

Fire Away........

Just wonderin'.... is your auto volume level set to 3 or 4? Default is 2 (at least on pre '06 radio's) With my XM, it is not as loud as FM radio, and FM is not as loud as CD. I run my XM thru an FM modulator. I love my Hog Tunes!

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I have no experience with HOG TUNES so this is not a knock on them. But I think the stock speakers on my '06 RG sound great. Plenty of volume for me and no complaints. Stick the stock speakers back in there and enjoy the new stereo, to me it rocks.

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Geezer-Glide said:
Just wonderin'.... is your auto volume level set to 3 or 4? Default is 2 (at least on pre '06 radio's) With my XM, it is not as loud as FM radio, and FM is not as loud as CD. I run my XM thru an FM modulator. I love my Hog Tunes!
Actually, I tried raising the AVC as well. Even raised the volume (almost all the way up) and the speakers just do not get loud.

From speaking with several audiophiles (not just Circuit City or Best Buy clerks), but from several high end audio shops, the problem is that the HD Radio (06') is 2 OHM...the speakers (Hogtunes) are 6 OHMs. Also the impedance does not match.

So, believe it or not the stock speakers sound better. (Louder and I can hear them).

Guess I'll be putting those back in.

·
Punch It!
356 Posts
vrod-NYC said:
From speaking with several audiophiles (not just Circuit City or Best Buy clerks), but from several high end audio shops, the problem is that the HD Radio (06') is 2 OHM...the speakers (Hogtunes) are 6 OHMs. Also the impedance does not match.

So, believe it or not the stock speakers sound better. (Louder and I can hear them).

Isn't that what post #4 says? 6 ohm speakers will not be as loud as 2 ohm speakers all things being equal.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Power Amp not needed

Once Pez gets the bugs worked out for the '06's , you won't need that amp.
If they work as well as my '03 Ultra (T.Bagger) , you'll be blasted out of your seat. I've got fairing mounted mirrors and they 'jump' to the bass. Yesterday while out riding with my bud on his '04 Ultra, he looks over at me at a stop sign and sez, 'You always roll with those thangs that loud'? I sez 'Nope' and kicked it up two more bars.....then we couldn't talk any more.......

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bigblock455 said:
Isn't that what post #4 says? 6 ohm speakers will not be as loud as 2 ohm speakers all things being equal.
Yes it does say that, and had I known that I would not have bought them just yet.

Pez is going to work this out and I am confident that it will happen sometime in the next 90-120 days (from our conversations back and forth).

However in the meantime, anyone with an 06' sound system...you may want to consider waiting until they get the kinks out.

·
But officer........
28 Posts
Pez,

Thanks for being truthful and not giving a BS answer like we are stupid. I have been considering purchasing some "hogtunes" and your post convenced me I'll definitely "get some".:brows: I'll wait till things are worked out.

Thanks again

Dino

·
Registered
659 Posts
on my ultra

Pez installed his speakers on my 2000 this summer at a rally in north bay - the difference in volume and low end was so noticable that two of my riding buddies changed over when we got home.
I do have an auxiliary amp - so not sure if this is part of the magic, but I' m one happy camper - at all speeds.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think Craven is right that your wind deflector is not helping your ability to
hear your tunes. I tried one on my eglide and in 2 miles i knew it was a big mistake and it will never be on it again.
They do look cool though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hogtunes

I just installed the full set of Hogtunes speakers on my 05 ultra. They made a very big difference on my bike, they rock. The stock speakers were absolute
junk, they couldnt hold any volume over half way. The Hotunes will handle full volume with a true digital (DDD) cd, with very minimal distortion.

Not sure about the 06 speakers, but my 05 stock speaker magnets were maybe 2 ounces. The front hogtunes look like about 20 ounce <(not sure)
and the backs maybe 10 or 15 ounce.

From what I have researched and read, Pez will do you right and I am quite sure his new speakers for the 06 bikes will sound awesome.

Im very happy with the Hogtunes and would highly recommend them. and they were plug and play as advertised, no wire cutting. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Its your Satellite sevice

I think your problem is the little doggie that built your Sirus radio, you should have put in XM instead :laugh:

·
Yup....paid my $15.00
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ha Ha...I know. That little doggie is a real............dog!

Anyhow, I've got a 1 week old 06' Harmon Kardon for sale if anyone is interested.

It's only a 2 weeks old!!!

Let me know.

Danny

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Danny,

Assuming you are serious about selling the HK.....

Do you know if it is compatible with earleier bikes, specifically a 2001 Ultra? My current radio is having some problems, and I would like to keep the intercomm capability (I know, most do not want to hera their wifes but......)

If you are sellling, how much are you looking for?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts