V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting an Ultra Tour pac for my '06 RG...What parts do I need to get?...Is the Ultra better than the others???:huh: Should I go with the detachable set up??? Would the Hogtunes do me better than the stock HD speakers both front and rear?

I have found the tour pack and the detach rack...Is that all I need to get a tour pack on the back of my Road Glide or am I missing something.

Thaks in advance!!!:beer4u:

·
Just a kid at heart
597 Posts
You also need front and rear mounting kits and if the tourpak doesn't have it, there is a U shaped bar that goes on the bottom. You will also need an antenna relocation kit and an antenna mount for the tourpak. Another option is to go with one of the short rubber antennas, which will fit under the tourpak when its mounted.

From what I have heard Hogtunes are the way to go. One of the guys I work with installed them and really likes them.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Hogtunes make the OEM speakers look like the crap they are.
Don't know if they've come out with the '06 ones yet, though...

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
detachable?

I've got my antenna under the fairing and a detachable tour pak, if you want that option you need to have a disconnect fabricated.

Mine has yet to come off the bike but its nice to know I've got the option.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
joediver said:
I've got my antenna under the fairing and a detachable tour pak, if you want that option you need to have a disconnect fabricated.
The disconnect fabricated are you reffering to the antenna or the tour pack???

What type of antenna are you using?? A 1/4 wave antenna for AM/FM only or do you have a CB as well???

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Am/fm

The under faring antenna is for AM/FM, the disconnect is for the tour pak

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
HD makes an "antenna relocation kit" for touring bikes that is for the tourpack installation. Without the pack installed, the antenna mounts to the frame bracket. When you put the pack on, you detach the antenna from the bike, and attach it to the reloaction kit installed on the tourpack. There's a cable hanging off that kit, and a small adapter that then plugs into the connector on the frame where you removed the antenna from.

·
Registered
657 Posts
On my 04 we replaced the large whip antenna with a short rubber one.
If you go with the King tour pack you don't have to worry about plugging and unplugging the lights. that way you can take it off and use a detachable backrest for short trips etc.
Just order the detachable base and you are in like Flynn.

Ride Safe,
Vettster

·
Registered
287 Posts
<<the disconnect is for the tour pak>> Your lighting wire harness is coiled up under the left side cover for the extra lights. It is long enough to uncoil and reach into the tour pak connector. It is easier to make a short extension cord with like connectors, run it through the pak and connect it between the seat and fender rail. Otherwise you have to feed the wire through the front of tour pak to power the lights every time you change the pak.
I had the removeable ultra pak on my 03 Road glide but road mostly with it off. I like the handling better without it and it's a sb to store in the garage. I never have a passenger. On my 05 I just put a sissy bar on and bungy any needed luggage on the passenger seat. If you have a frequent passanger, you probably will never remove it afterwards.

·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shoveler said:
If you have a frequent passanger, you probably will never remove it afterwards.
The passenger will be the OL...She has to be comfortable or I'm not :nunu:

Thanks guys...

I like the idea of the extra lights from the ultra pack...The disconnect is an excellent idea.

Any other suggestions or peices that I will need???

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Mine was set up by my dealer prior to delivery to quick disconnect. But I have never taken it off because I have "grown into" the new space and have all this stuff that I store in the tourpac now. My guess is you will do the same thing and that baby will stay on instead of be taken on and put back on often. Besides why not have it ready in case the wife decides to come along. To me it is always more fun to have a passenger along than not.

·
Registered
287 Posts
<<always more fun to have a passenger along than not.>>
I get enough back seat driving in the car. I am sure I would also get back of my seat wet the way I corner if she ever wanted to ride. :} And she refuses anyway.
But I think the detachable looks stronger. A buddy had his pak almost fall off because the plate bracket cracked. That was on a 03 or 04 I think.

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Man I don't get back seat driving from my passenger, I get a nice set pressed up against me :brows: and a back rub at times.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Joe,

Forget the detachable hardware. If you want a tour pac, have it hard mounted.

My friends with RGs and tour pacs never remove them. Like a quick-disconnect windshield, after a time or two, you won't bother to remove it.

Also, you won't be wondering if your tour pac is still on the bike when you return from parking it somewhere. The detachable stuff is too detachable for my taste.

JMHO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts