V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
My local shop will be picking up the bike tomorrow. I've been told its about five hours labor. I would expect it will be longer as those are flat rate hours. However they are waiting for the replacement parts from H-D. The factory is in progress of geting them to the dealers. No bill on my end for anything. It shifts smoth and if the fix gets a more positive neutral than thats great. I'm for it and thanks to H-D for steping up to the plate. I did e-mail my local shop about it and they contacted me for setting up the process. Easy so far.

Pic

·
Shiny bad. Black good.
123 Posts
Got my recall notice today. I was happy to see the Moco says the dealership will pick-up/deliver free of charge. Whether or not the dealership will do so is a whole other story. Moot point for me since I'm due for my 1000mi and was planning on driving it down there anyways. I'll just have them fix it at the same time.

Whiff

·
Registered
181 Posts
Whiffleboy said:
Got my recall notice today. I was happy to see the Moco says the dealership will pick-up/deliver free of charge. Whether or not the dealership will do so is a whole other story. Moot point for me since I'm due for my 1000mi and was planning on driving it down there anyways. I'll just have them fix it at the same time.

Whiff
I got my notice yesterday as well. I'm also due for my 1000 mile service so I figured I'd have them do it at the same time. Thing is this isn't California, it's Indiana and there's 8 inches of snow and ice on the road so I'm not going anywhere. Even though they would presumeably come and pick it up like the notice says there's no point in getting the 1000 mile service done now when the bike will just sit in the garage for another 3 months with the fresh fluids in it. I think I'm just going to wait until March for them to do the recall and the service.

·
Banned
154 Posts
Whiffleboy said:

Whiff
Might not be a quick fix. The other thread I linked to points out that to make the repairs they need to dig into the transmission and replace parts inside it. Took my dealer 3 hours to do the 1000 on my old Sporty. And I've heard it could take up to 5 hours to do the recall work.

Heads up that you might be sitting at the dealership for a LONG time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I got a notice....

I got my recall notice today. It says it’s for 2006 Dyna Glide motorcycles including FXD, FXDC, FXDL, FXDWG, FDX35, and FXDB model built between June 9, 2005 and October 19, 2005. It says “the transmission in these motorcycles have a defect which may allow them to go into a false neutral position even though the neutral indicator light is illuminated” and so on. The recall kits should be a t the dealers during the week of December 12, 2005. It will take between 3 and 3.5 hours to do the work.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Sorry if this been asked before.
Does this recall only apply to domestiC HDs? (US models).

I've got no information about build date, just a VIN. (looked through the frame, no sign of a build date).

/Dan B

·
Registered
227 Posts
my local dealer got replacement parts yesterday 12/16/05 same day i got letter from MoCo . i'm on the list for 1/30/06 pick-up and return service will be free. dealer is offering any other service i want done at the sametime for 30% off shop rates. so i'm gona have them do a stage 1 1450 download at the same time.
had a problem talking MoCo into replaceing the Syn3 i already have in my trans with new Syn3 but my dealer says no problem they'll take care of it at no cost to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Dan B said:
Sorry if this been asked before.
Does this recall only apply to domestiC HDs? (US models).

I've got no information about build date, just a VIN. (looked through the frame, no sign of a build date).

/Dan B

NO. The recall efects BOTH domestic and international spec Dynas.
Go visit your dealer and have him check the bike's VIN with HD.

·
Registered
62 Posts
PowerCobra98 said:
Wow, I guess we all know how involved this recall is now! That looks like a LOT of work to do. Anyone else concerned that their local dealer might not be up to the task and screw it up or have leaks afterwards? I know I am. I'm real hesitant to even get this recall done.
@gree: me too. i didn't get the bike yet. mine will be the first '06 Dyna in Israel and i'm CERTAIN tha dealer's tech guy won't get the job done right.

i guess if you don't count on the idiot lights (good habit) and feel your bike you should be just fine.

hell, chop those lights off that dyna. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Well, I feel like you.

Its like getting an used transmission back. I mean they tear the whole ting apart and put it back again. I've not made so many miles yet, put I've never had any trouble with the neutral light (and I really doesn't know yet if my bike is one of them for a recall). Hope to find out soon.

/Dan B

PowerCobra98 said:
Wow, I guess we all know how involved this recall is now! That looks like a LOT of work to do. Anyone else concerned that their local dealer might not be up to the task and screw it up or have leaks afterwards? I know I am. I'm real hesitant to even get this recall done.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've had no trouble either...in fact I've left my bike unattended in neutral to warm up while I was getting my gear on many times. My biggest fear is just getting stuff all scratched up by the dealership.

You should be able to tell easily if your bike is one that's recalled or not. There is a manufactured date on the front downtubes on a sticker that should give the month and the year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, Is it worth having done?

I was having the same thought about the need and benefit of having this modification done. I don't rely on the light, but start it with the clutch pulled in etc. I was thinking if it's only a light issue, and nothing else I might just hold off until I needed to do some major work. I wonder if there is an expiration for them doing this warranty work.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I also received a recall notice in the mail. I am wondering if I could get this service done at another, closer HD dealer than where I purchased mine from. As mentioned, the HD dealer that I want to service it is closer. In addition, I don't care for the way that the dealer where I purchased my bike treated me. Anyone else try this yet?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts