V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlight bulb replacement

Anybody changed the headlight bulb out on there 05's with a Sylvania Silverstar? I thought I read somewhere where the H3 is the replacement bulb for the Harley bulb. Used them on my cars/trucks before and had good luck with them. The 05 headlamps are a big improvement but if they have a Silvestar that will fit I might try that. The older you get the more light you need. :unsure:

·
I'm Paid Up...
1,732 Posts
check out PIAA.COM. they have the best bulbs.. higher outputs without the increase in wattage... I do not run any other bulbs... they are the best, but rather expensive, but worth the money... they have an unwritten 1 yr warranty. pick your color temperature.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
hey guys i know ill gat crap for this but i use only osrams 100w high 80w low beam. this bulb with the 05 style headlight is better. i have put them in 20-25 bike already and have had better luck with these. the new headlight kit from harley, you know the 175.00 one, i have 2 for sale with less than 2 weeks use of them..

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Yep, I got one...

Funny you should ask... I seem to be pretty tough on HD bulbs so I was at the Pep Boys a few weeks ago and picked up a Sylvania 9003 CB Cool blue halogen. Put in in a week or so ago and I really like it. It was pretty cheap... don't remember how much??? But it works. Seems brighter to me hope this helps.

This is the info on the package....

Lumens: 1700 =/- 12%

Watts: Max 70

color: J578 white

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
TXCHOP said:
hey guys i know ill gat crap for this but i use only osrams 100w high 80w low beam. this bulb with the 05 style headlight is better. i have put them in 20-25 bike already and have had better luck with these. the new headlight kit from harley, you know the 175.00 one, i have 2 for sale with less than 2 weeks use of them..
Where do you get those Mr. Chop?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ran the Silver Stars in my Ford Diesel and the light was good but they burned out in less than a year and a half and 12000 miles.
I put IPF Fat boy bulbs (80 watt low, 65 watt high) in my Road Glide and ran them over 14000 miles before I traded it in with no problems and I road the nastiest rough 1 mile stretch of gravel road every ride from my old home to pavement. They put out an awesome wide low beam and a hi beam at least on par with the Silver Stars (in my estimation better).
The Fat boys will likely not fit your bike ( they are H-4's ) but I ran the IPF Magic Bulb in my early 05 RK with the single bulb Headlight. They worked great as well and put out a strong white light. The Magic Bilbs also have a Green or blue (your choice) flourescent ring that glows about 15 minutes after shutdown. It gets noticed alot. They are legal and don't melt any electrical parts. They are Piaa's main competitor in Japan and are actually made for off road vehicle vibration so I've only seen them available through 4x4 vehicle parts places. http://www.4by4connection.com/ipfblbu.html
They have pics of the magic bulbs in a jeep here: http://www.niagara4x4.com/ipfinstall.php
Magnum

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anybody found a bulb that will replace the stock bulbs on the passing lamps. Put a Silverstar in the headlight and the passing lamps are not as bright so far I have not been able to find one.

·
Terrorists suck!
647 Posts
I run the Silverstar on my Ultra. Have not replaced it in over two years. It really lights up the night! I have rode it in real cold and real wet weather and no issues at all.

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,644 Posts
Passing Light bulbs and lenses

lschultz said:
Anybody found a bulb that will replace the stock bulbs on the passing lamps. Put a Silverstar in the headlight and the passing lamps are not as bright so far I have not been able to find one.
I looked at several set-ups before looking in the V-Twin Mfg. catalog. I put in the 33-0152 lenses (clear H3 halogen units) and replaced the bulbs with PIAA part #70375 model #H-384SE. Then I replaced the head light bulb (H4 bulb) with the PIAA part #70476 model #H383SE. Now when I drive with my passing lights on people think I have the brights on. Next thing to do will be to change the wires so when I flash the brights that the passing lights don't go off. Don't use the Adjure lenses. They have a gasket you have to use and are often missing them from there packaging. Lense will not fit with out them. The Wagner Lenses are just like the stock ones.

I got the PIAA bulbs from Cyclegadgets.com and the Wagners from my local cycle/chopper shop.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Does the new style headlamp with clear smooth lens with reflector optics that they started using on the '05s make any difference? I was thinking about snagging one and upgrading the bulb. Is the headlamp worth the money for my DWG?

·
Hammerhead
742 Posts
I used to use the Silverstar 880ST bulbs in the passing lamps. They have a different angle base and were a tight fit in the housing but the worked. However they only lasted about 4 and a half months. The headlamp is a H4 silverstar and is still going.

I purchased some Nokya Arctic white bulbs on Ebay for the passing lamps. They are 27W. They are the 881 bulbs so they are the same base as the original in the bike so they fit without hitting the back of the housing.

I also ordered the Nokya Arctic White H4 bulbs. They are 100W/90W. The instructions recommend using the Nokya harness.

Anyone have any experience with 100W/90W or similar bulbs using the stock harness?

THANKS

Steve

·
Registered
84 Posts
I want to switch my passing lamps to the abmer ones, anyone do this???which bulbs???? where???

Thanks

·
Hammerhead
742 Posts
Update: One of the Nokya 881's burned out on the first day of use so I have replaced the passing lamps with the 880 Silverstars again.

I am waiting on a wiring harness adapter before I try the Nokya H4 headlight bulb but will let you know how it turns out.

Ride Safe

Steve

·
Hammerhead
742 Posts
Got the H4 harness today and put in the Nokya Arctic White H4 bulbs. Bulbs were stated at 100W/90W but it was so blue that it was actually dimmer than the silverstar passing bulbs (880ST). So I put the Silverstar H4 bulb back in. Live and learn :) I may try the PIAA bulb that was mentioned earlier in this thread tho.

Ride Safe
Steve

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
CRUI$ER said:
I may try the PIAA bulb that was mentioned earlier in this thread tho.

Ride Safe
Steve
Steve,

The PIAA bulbs are a total scam, go back a few posts & read the info in the link I posted.

~John

·
Hammerhead
742 Posts
Thanks John - think I will stick with the Silverstars - excellent visibility and I run them in my Frontier and Liberty too ;)

Stick with what works :) I have not had any problems with the Sivlerstars except short life but the visibility both seeing and being seen is awesome - get the cagers thinking I have the hi beams on when i have the low and passing lamps on - flash em the high and they really see the difference ;)

Ride Safe
Steve

1 - 19 of 19 Posts