V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first Harley, and I wanted the top of the line, so it was suggested I invest in a FLHTCUI 2006. My father has a 97 Police model Glide, and loves it, and would not let me think of getting a RICE BURNER. I just loved the gadgets found on those RICIES, and owned one several years earlier.

I purchased my ultra in september this year and had to wait for it to come in. The talk of the dealership was about the new radio, and I could not wait to enjoy it... But, as I drove off the day it came in, the headset began to pop in the left side, and the system sounded so horrible... I went to dealership, and they replaced the headset, and then later, after still having the problem, went to another dealership, and they "upgraded my system with a disc", and it was near closing time, so wrench left before I could try it out.

I am told that maybe I need to get another radio from sound shop, if I wanted a better system... but after spending over $24,000 on this bike with perks, I am a little bit upset with Harley.....only about sound system, everything else is fine, except the sound of exhaust... working on that though...

I believe it has something to do with the console or setup by wrench, but they will not go that route with explainations....

Also, after UPGRADE, the radio seems to have less power!:thumbsdn:

What should I do?
Have any of you experienced this delima?
frustrated new FLHTCUI 2006 owner,
John

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Does it distort when using the speakers too?? If the bike is only a couple of months old, I'd request a new audio system. (Doesn't mean you'll get it tho)
Then after the system gets straightened out, install some HOGTUNES speakers. (But I don't think they are available for '06's yet.) Contact PEZ who is a member of this forum if you desire the new speakers. The OE speakers in my '03 were a joke.
There have been several posts of people upgrading their new radios by inserting discs. I don't know much about HK stereo's except for listening to a couple at the 'stealership'.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Also.The HD headsets that come with the Ultra are OK for voice/CS, very marginal for music---you mentioned use of the headset with the problem. No headset I've found is great, but the best I've used is J&M. Exepnesive, and still just OK, but the best I've found http://www.jmcorp.com/Static/build_headset.htm

The speakesr will/shouldsound better, and when the '06 hogtunes are out, they will be better also. Fianlly, if there is an electrical type pop or hum that reoccurs, you may have a bad ground to the radio. Worth a shot to have them check

I had a Gold Wing, it radio was not as good as the HD 2001, and it id not even come with a headset..... Did have allot of plastic chrome though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The popping sound comes from the left side of headset, and the speaker distorts with the bass turned up modestly. Sounds odd for the right side not to do that. The radio seems to not have the same power level since the disc upgrade... I might be wrong, but it seems that way.

I thought about getting the newer speakers, and also want the amp that goes under tourpak... tell me more about the speakers if you can... and I will more than likely install the J&M headset if I am not satisfied... thanks to all you guy's for taking time to be very helpful...Flames:bowdwn:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
No Amp needed

After Pez gets the bugs worked out for the '06's (I understand from one of his posts, he now has a '06 of his own) , you won't need another power source (if the HK's are as good as the older models). My '03 gets 3 times as loud with just the speaker upgrade and with very little distortion. Just have patience.....

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well after reading the short sampling of 06 CD players it is very apparent Harley cant get this right.

I run Infinity Kappas and a Sony head unit with the biktronics wiring harness. I have 130 in the speakers, 189 in the Sony, and I think 200 in the wiring harness to use my stock handle bar controls.

Anyway it appears it is not worth the effort on the new stereos either, I understand firmware updates and such, but damn they are just putting these in you would think they would be cream of the crop units.

http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id108.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vyWbtQvSudm/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=sony+7815&i=158CDXM781

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vyWbtQ...up.asp?search=Infinity+Kappa&skipvs=T&g=51800

1 - 7 of 7 Posts