V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These posts are from John Sachs on HTT:

From: MSN Nicknamejohnsachs (Original Message) Sent: 9/9/2005 2:52 PM
Just had a customer drop off an '06 A motor for a 106" kit.Quickly looking over the heads:
Exhaust looks real efficient,port is similar to the HTCC exhaust.
Intake looks like they dropped (wrong direction) the port about .060".
Haven't flowed them yet,maybe this weekend.Less work to be done on the exhaust,and a lot more to be done on the intake.
John

Well,I guess I have to admit that the '06 intake port is,after all,pretty good.
I flowed the stock intake port,and it was about 12 cfm better than the '99 - '05 stock intake ports.Actually,I've seen some inexpensive ported big valve heads that didn't flow much better.
Looking into the port,it seems Harley has blended the seat insert area,smoothed the area around the guide boss,and created a nice short side turn.The 1.808" intake valve is seating at the very edge of the valve.
John

It's HOT out,looks like rain,so after church,I decided to do an at random intake port flow shootout.
The figures are at 10",heads have some miles,have NOT been bead blasted, and all look equal in terms of residue (small amount).
(Bruce)The only inlet guide I could come up,that would work on all the heads,to stay consistent with,was an adjustable 11/2" long billet velocity stack I made years ago.The '06 SE catalog says they offer flanges that will work with early to late,and late to early.I'll check with HD tomorrow.
The figures will reflect valve lifts of: .300" .400" .500" .560"
The heads were rear heads: 2002, 2005 ,2006.

REAR 2006 head: 107.1 cfm,124 cfm, 126.5 cfm, 126.5 cfm.
REAR 2005 head: 101.5 cfm, 114.8 cfm, 115.5 cfm, 115.5 cfm.
REAR 2002 head: 93.8 cfm, 113.4 cfm, 118.4 cfm, 117.6 cfm.

Obviously you must be very careful if you're going to fluff up the ports in the '06 heads.It's real easy to hurt the flow by going in there with a rock or sanding drum to remove material.
John

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
One thing you need to notice is that they all flow the same or less at .560 lift.
Bullet is right and the reason is to keep the piston speed down for engine longivity. Harley doesn't want the piston speed to exceed 4300 feet per minute so by cutting of the air and a rev limit of 5500 rpm this is accomplished.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
also pay attention to the location. they changed the flanges for 06 also. siamese bolt pattern. I know I tried to cnc a 05 port into an 06. Ha Ha

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I have have noticed that the seat/head area is much smoother, BUT you are still running the small valve guide, I have not seen a problem with low lift cams but when running at the 550 number I have seen issue's on two set's. I cannot say if this is a regular thing or not as the heads are two new yet. Any one else out there seeing a problem with this?? I have put them on the flow bench with numbers close to that, I did not see the same spread but was within 2 cfm so close enough. The guide boss's do look better and the short turn looks nice as well. Nice improvement of the early heads. Now we have to add cams to stock heads dyno, then swap for early stock heads dyno, then port both and see results. OHHHH man I tired already, Beaver want to help with this??? I have been busier than a 3 legged cat in a sand box.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts