V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First....I am new -please be gentle. I'm used to riding Sporties (since 1983). My switch to big twins is recent. I've ridden quite a few but never owned one. I am about to buy a Dyna. (next 2 days!).

1. Are there any differences in the 2006 heads vs. 2000 through 2005? (If it is a dumb question, please forgive.)

2. I'm hoping the 95" or 98" thing is much like when I converted my 883 to 1200. (Please tell me it is...even if you have to lie!). I plan on using stock heads: hence the question about '06 vs. earlier.

3. What's the gain of converting to gear drive if I don't plan on doing anything over maybe 90 hp and 90-100 ft. lbs? (Of course I've never had anything without gears driving 4 cams before!).

Thanks very much for any response.
G

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
1) Yes, the 06 heads are re-worked from previous years. All the reports I have heard are very good. I had mine re-worked but I am trying to get every last bit out of them.

2) I did the 98" and it was a snap. Very easy to do and the 06 heads should do pretty well with no work. If you go flatop be sure to get the appropriate cam for the compression ratio that you will be at. Or have them milled to bump it up a little to get a little more out of them.

3) You know you are not going to gain anything noticable by going gear drive as far as horsepower. The 06 has a new cam and it seem to be alot better disign than in the past. The big complaint in the years past was the chain tensioner. This year they switched to a hydrolic one. I stuck with chain drive for now because there is still none avalable for the 06. I guess it is close to being released. I will probobly convert down the road if I go higher lift of something.

·
Registered
70 Posts
- Yes, the '06 heads are slightly better, due to the reworked exhaust port flowing slightly better. The rest of hte head is the same as '05.
- Going to 95" or 98" is only a cylinder and piston switch, so yes it's basically the same as the 1200 conversion.
- Gear drive cams, will, or will not, depending on who you talk to, give you a gain of a few HP over chain drive cams due to less resistance from not having chains to move. I've seen some evidence that suggests this is so, and other evidence that suggests it isn't. There is the benefit of not having cam chain tensioners to check, or perhaps to wear out early as some seem to do. I have gear drive cams and am glad I have them, others don't bother.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts