V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have feedback on the new 2006 GPS that integrates directly into the Advanced Audio System?

Is it a PTA to program? Is there a computer interface (serial, USB, or otherwise) or is everything done on the radio "keyboard"?

I always ride with my helmet connected to the Audio system and it would be nice to get the prompts through the helmet speakers, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the system itself might be significantly "feature-weak" compared to other systems that I can mount on the bars somewhere.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
No map, mving or otherwise. Expensive. Disc must be in the CD drive. Good start, but less powerful then the current Garmins. Does not compare with the Goldwing approach. Just my thoughts......

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like it

No there is no map but the voice commands are very easy to follow while driving.
mine holds half the us in memory east of missippi and west of missisppi I live east and i only need to put the cd in if I cross the river so it can load the west data and the cd needs to be in to find harley dealers..I like not having to remove it and it is great for the most common task.. I dont know where we are but im hungery.. push a button and places to eat are listed starting with the nearest... same goes for fuel. I have even planed routes by sitting at the table with a map and listing intersections on the route... at each stop I enter the new destination.. My only complaint is you have to be stopped to turn it on or enter a destination I thank the attorneys for the concern for my safety..

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dover said:
I have even planed routes by sitting at the table with a map and listing intersections on the route... at each stop I enter the new destination.. My only complaint is you have to be stopped to turn it on or enter a destination I thank the attorneys for the concern for my safety..
How do you enter destinations? Is there any computer interface or is all entry via the radio's "keyboard"? Is it a pain to enter a long route that way?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Gps

the stock moco one is a rip. you would be better off to buy a garmin 2610 and ram mount and pocket the difference. MoCo one is over priced and under featured. You could send me the extra savings by gettnig the garmin if you have $$ to burn +SMSH+

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Dover,

Your points are all correct, but my Garmin has the same features (except the CD, it uses a memory card). Plus it has a map, which is a huge help IMO. Much cheaper, portable,,,,

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Garmin 2610 is unbeatable in my opinion.

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I bought a Magellan 360 from Costco just to become familiar with features in general and get a feel for what is missing. You can return anything to Costco, and although I usually don't like to "use" them to try out stuff, I thought that if this works-out OK, otherwise I can give it back.

The only thing I see lacking is the ability to "force" my own route. I want to take a twisty or a different freeway intead of what is recommended, and I don't see a way to program my definitive route. I know that I can deviate and then have the unit re-calculate, but on some rides that have lots and lots of off-route modifications, I might as well just carry my own map.

Any comments on the ability to pre-program your own route - down to each road and turn on any of the units (Garmin, HD, etc.)?

Thanks again. This is fun, and I can't wait to get the real thing, once I you all help me figgure out what that is.

·
72FX/04Ultra
598 Posts
Personally, I like to see were I am and what roads lie ahead. Can't do that with the advanced audio GPS. Is it going to show you that turn in the road your traveling ahead?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Klang said:
Any comments on the ability to pre-program your own route - down to each road and turn on any of the units (Garmin, HD, etc.)?

Thanks again. This is fun, and I can't wait to get the real thing, once I you all help me figgure out what that is.
I can do that easily with my Garmin 2610

~John

·
Registered
255 Posts
prep programming route

with the garmin 2610 you can go to the map on computer and zoom in and then select the roads you want then upload to the unit. there are roads on the map that i did not know existed and here in wisconsin there are lots of dead end roads ( actually long driveways)that look like roads so when pre planning it is a valuable resource and easy as pie to upload via usb ahh yes also i have all the moco dealers in mine as waypoints. That is way cool when on the road also

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Yea, the 2610 is absolutely amazing. I was playing around with mine one day when I first got it learning all the features. I had my house saved as the home waypoint.

I asked the GPS to route me home from a local area, but it routed me up into a residential neighborhood that I had always thought was a dead end(it was set to shortest distance).

I was positive the routing had to be wrong, but I was in no big hurry so I decided to follow the suggested route. My wife was with me & we where both amazed to realize the road came out the backside of the neighborhood behind a golf course(we always thought it dead ended at the course).

The route was WAY shorter & far quicker than the way my wife had driven home from work for the last six years & also had almost no traffic(everyone else thinks it's a dead end too I guess)

~John

·
Premium Member
996 Posts
I'm totally new to GPS but I received the Garmin Street Pilot 2730 as a X-mas gift. I'm already spoiled and still don't know what I'm doing with it.

So far, I've only used it in my truck up in Reno and Lake Tahoe. Ordered the handlbar mount this morning from: http://estore.websitepros.com/817592/Detail.bok?no=46

The 2730 comes with the XM Sattelite radio and up to the minute satellite weather. I'll be dangerous once I find out everything there is to know about this thing.

My Nano iPod just took a back seat to this thing as far as new fangled dangle status goes.:Banadance

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Don't know much about GPS but expect to be in the market for one soon. One thing I do know though is that I don't like the integrated one for one reason. If I spend that much money on a GPS I want to be able to use it in my cars as well as on the bike. Not that I would use it that much but it would be nice if it could be used hand held too. I am considering the HD/Quest version as it seems it may be more to my liking and also since my wife works for HD with her discount it is likely the best deal for me.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well I scarfed a Garmin GPMAP 60CSx and City Navigator V 7, 512 meg micro SD card and some Ram Mounts and it it THE shitz. Have it mounted in the car and have not got the Ram Mount on the bike yet but have it together and have played with the quick release I also bought for the bike mount. I love this new toy.

I like this 60 CSx as it is portable, VERY tough, waterproof to 3.3 meters for 1/2 hour, expandable memory, have about 400 in the unit, 110 in the Map Software, 40 for the SD card, and about 70 in mounts and wiring, as I got a hard wire and a cigarette plug.

My first experience into GPS and from what I have seen of this unit. I wont ever need another. Great product pretty easy to get started with, and very portable, I can say it will ALWAYS go on my bike along with the cell phone.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
great thread

Been considering the nav add on for my HK stereo so I really appreciate everyone sharing their opinions and experiences. :thanks:

·
GottaRideS'more
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Edit: Oops - wrong thread. I started another one re: pinouts, so I'll just hijack this one. Similar topic.

OK - I've discovered the pins to the speakers and to the microphone.

I think the best route is to purchase the harness that is required to splice the Harley GPS into the audio system for the voice prompts. I assume that there is a third audio input (Rider, passenger, and GPS), and maybe even a fourth for the BlueTooth phone option. Once I discover the pins for the input from the GPS, I will splice the headphone output from my Magellan GPS into the audio system via the new harness. I have gotten this to work by doing testing on the Rider pins (where the riders headset plugs into the bike), and it is so cool. The voice prompts break VOX and are audible through the helmet speakers. I'd rather splice into the harness adapter so I can remove if needed than directly into the existing wiring.

So everyone that has a 2006 comm. system and a third-party GPS with a headphone output should be able to hear their voice prompts through their helmet speakers.

I'll post the results as soon as I get the harness adapter in a few days.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Have a look at the Garmin 2720 it has some features that the 2610 does not have including brighter & higher definition screen, text to voice audio commands, 25% faster route calculations, 2000 waypoint memory versus 500 and custom POI's that will alert you when you get within set proximity.

Easy to upload Harley Dealer waypoints from master list by state and create custom routes on your PC to upload to either unit if you wish.

I've been using GPS on motorcycles for over 6 years now, don't leave home without it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts