V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Anyone else on this forum having issue with milky or off color paint on the new Screaming Eagle Ultra? I am and so are about 30 others that I have tracked down. We are not getting any help from H-D and would like to get all those with effected bikes together and contact the MoCo together. Please reply to this post if you have issues and have not raised them on the CVO website.

Thanks.

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
i don't have an SE, but the black on the black/green bike looks brown. and it really stood out on the one they had on display at the York open house.

i've seen the beige/black and the two i've seen looked ok.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
SEGeaserGlide06 said:
We are not getting any help from H-D and would like to get all those with effected bikes together and contact the MoCo together.
From your local dealer or the MoCo?

This is obviously a warranty issue.

·
You're an evildoer.
559 Posts
Odd, thats only one the bag in your picture, not the lid or fender, or other bag. Is this only happening to once peice at a time? Looks like a major QC issue.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Did you try more than one dealer? My dad has an 05 SEEG with multiple paint defects. All were taken care of in excellent service........He also had an 02 SERK and one tank was replaced no questons asked...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dealer has been Great, It the MoCo stalling

My dealer is standing behind me but we are not getting any answers from H-D. All of the parts that have graphics are milky. The front fairing, and both saddle bags are cloudy and milky. It really ddepends on the angle and the light. Inside under florecent light they all appear to be the same. Thats how I made it out of the dealer. But in full sun it really stands out. We have been told it is the number of clear coats applied to make the graphics smmoth that cause the issue but nothing about a fix.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
SEGeaserGlide06 said:
Hello, Anyone else on this forum having issue with milky or off color paint on the new Screaming Eagle Ultra? I am and so are about 30 others that I have tracked down. We are not getting any help from H-D and would like to get all those with effected bikes together and contact the MoCo together. Please reply to this post if you have issues and have not raised them on the CVO website.

Thanks.

Holy Cow! That's got to be a warranty issue! I presume that this changed appearance after you took delivery of the bike, right?

Wow!

:(

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
newultraclassic said:
Holy Cow! That's got to be a warranty issue! I presume that this changed appearance after you took delivery of the bike, right?

Wow!

That's what I'm wondering too. Otherwise I would have told em they could keep it. Does the clear have that "pearl esse" added to it? They are using it in quite a few of the finishes now. I wonder if that could be outta whack?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
When I was looking at an '06 SE Fatboy in November, the dealer said ALL the SE bikes were being held up for delivery due to paint problems. He didn't know what problems but that seems strange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
newultraclassic said:

Wow!

I took delivery on an overcast day and did the acceptance in the service area so i did not see the bike in the full sun for a few days. Once I did I saw the fairing was significantly different than the painted rear of the fairing. I started check and both bags have the same milky color in full sun. Inside it is hard to tell, outside it is very apparent. I have been getting the stall by the MoCo since September and I am getting fed up. They say they are working on a solution but when do we get an answer. They have suggested it is too may clear coats so that the graphics won't be felt in the paint. I have seen a bunch of nice paint jobs where you could not feel the graphics but the colors where true and matched. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they will fix this but when?

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
I'm sure not a paint expert but too many clearcoats causing a cloudy condition?? That doesn't make sense. Especially when you see a nice hot rod or something that has a reflection in the finish that's well deep thanks to multiple clear coats, wet sanding and buffing. It's gotta be contamination or a product defect.

It would be nice if we could get a painter here to comment. I'm just making a guess.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
timbo said:
It would be nice if we could get a painter here to comment. I'm just making a guess.
Been many years since I've kept up with the latest in paint formulas. Looking at that paint reminds me of what happens when you have high humidity while painting. I had several paint jobs get screwed up pretty good when I laid them down on a real humid day and didn't use any retarder, but then that was 20 years ago.

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is not uncommon when many coats of clear are used to "bury" graphics, stripes, etc. The solvents in fluid coatings need to have time to evaporate or "flash" before more fluid or coats are applied. The cloudiness you see in the finish is likely to be microscopic bubbles trapped in the coats of clear caused when not enough time is given to allow a flash of the solvents in the refinish materials.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts