V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 FLHTI, 95 inch big bore kit, 203 cams, se high flow filter, rinehart true duals, power commander.
finally got the bike running right... i think.... my fuel to air looks good and straight and the dyno sheet is where i think it should be..... but.... when i start the bike hot or cold it takes about 3 or 4 engine revolutions before it kicks over? i think i remember reading something about hard starts here somewhere??? anything i can do to help this, i can manage my way around the power commander software with some direction. or should i just bring it back to the tuner?
thanks

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
You may be doing this already....but when you switch the ignition to "run" ,
are you waiting forthen fuel pump to run , then cycle off, and for the check engine light to go off before hitting the start button?

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
whereyat said:
.... when i start the bike hot or cold it takes about 3 or 4 engine revolutions before it kicks over?
3 or 4 revs doesn't sound excessive to me. I assume your battery is in good shape.

If you're concerned maybe you should consider into a high output starter.

I have the SE 1.4 kW starter, but there are many other options (like Spyke starters).

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
whereyat said:
2006 FLHTI, 95 inch big bore kit, 203 cams, se high flow filter, rinehart true duals, power commander.
finally got the bike running right... i think.... my fuel to air looks good and straight and the dyno sheet is where i think it should be..... but.... when i start the bike hot or cold it takes about 3 or 4 engine revolutions before it kicks over? i think i remember reading something about hard starts here somewhere??? anything i can do to help this, i can manage my way around the power commander software with some direction. or should i just bring it back to the tuner?
thanks
Did the throttle position get set for the powercommander? To check, hook up ypur laptop to PC and start. Look for the thottle position in the window to the right of the screen. If not, here is how to do it.

With the bike running and the laptop linked to the PC, click on powercommander tools, choose set throttle position. A box will appear, choose reset, then give a quick twist of the throttle to WOT. Just a quick twist to get the throttle all the way open, do not hold it there. Then click o.k.

The throttle position should now read 0% at idle.

If you got the bike dynoed this should have been done, but maybe not. If not then I think the guy would owe you another, because now your map won't match throttle position to RPM.

I will also add that after doing 95" and Andrews 37's that instead of firing right up when hitting the start button, mine now takes a few revolutions to fire off. don't know enough about engines, but maybe it's related to cam timing and overlap.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks..

thanks vafatboy..
the throttle position was set, the tuner let me hang around while he tuned my bike, and he pretty much explained step by step what he was doing.
i will check it again just to make sure though.
thanks for you advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts