V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are most engine parts for an 06 FXDI under 07-17? Kind of confusing because I’m looking at some S&S upgrades and not certain on what to buy

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
123 Posts
Why are most engine parts for an 06 FXDI under 07-17? Kind of confusing because I’m looking at some S&S upgrades and not certain on what to buy
As far as I know up to 2006 was a different bike than after 06. Every year of the twin cam had some modifications, so it's going to be important that you're positively sure the parts you're buying are correct. Where are you buying parts from?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at the 100”/110” kit from S&S. The 100” is for 88”TC and the 110” for 96”/103”. That’s where it gets hazy because it says 06 FXDI is with the 07+. But mine is an 88”

·
Registered
2008 Dyna Super Glide Custom, 2015 BMW K1600GTL
123 Posts
For something so important, I'd call S&S directly

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,985 Posts
06 Dyna was a bastard year.It had the 07 and later updates such as a 6 speed transmission, newer style case with the cast in oil porting between trans.and engine.Newer style splines on the sprocket side of the crank and a newer (pos) compensator.Hydraulic tensioners in the cam chest.
The one thing it retained was the 4 inch stroke and 88 cubic inches.The next year (2007) all the models(including the Dyna models)went with a 4 3/8 inch stroke/96 inches and all the other previously mentioned updates that came with the 06 Dyna.

The 2006 Dyna has a 1 year only crankshaft.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
06 Dyna was a bastard year.It had the 07 and later updates such as a 6 speed transmission, newer style case with the cast in oil porting between trans.and engine.Newer style splines on the sprocket side of the crank and a newer (pos) compensator.Hydraulic tensioners in the cam chest.
The one thing it retained was the 4 inch stroke and 88 cubic inches.The next year (2007) all the models(including the Dyna models)went with a 4 3/8 inch stroke/96 inches and all the other previously mentioned updates that came with the 06 Dyna.

The 2006 Dyna has a 1 year only crankshaft.
Thanks a lot. It’s hard to find all the needed info on this bastard. I’ve already replaced the rotor and stator on this. One MAJOR flaw on these. Now I’m just after some more power.

·
Registered
131 Posts
S&S stuff is well engineered and better quality than OEM by a good bit. You're smart to go with a complete package. 100" motor will have you smiling. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve used their stuff a lot in the past and it’s always spot on. That’ll be next winters project. Thanks man

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks a lot. It’s hard to find all the needed info on this bastard. I’ve already replaced the rotor and stator on this. One MAJOR flaw on these. Now I’m just after some more power.
The worst thing about the '06 Dyna was the missing locator pins between the inner primary and transmission... this caused the 'IPB problem', with leaky seal. If you were the original owner, and had the problem fixed under warranty at least twice, they'd do you a 'goodwill' job and replace the transmission case and inner primary cover... special order, with matching numbers on the tranny. This is basically the '07 parts. I also found that the '06 triple-tree was weak... one tightening too much, and it snapped... so mine now also has the upgraded '07 TT. Important thing to note about these bikes... they are the first and earliest ones to allow fitment of the 120 R/120 ST motor.... I certainly wouldn't do that without installing a Tru-Trac though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The worst thing about the '06 Dyna was the missing locator pins between the inner primary and transmission... this caused the 'IPB problem', with leaky seal. If you were the original owner, and had the problem fixed under warranty at least twice, they'd do you a 'goodwill' job and replace the transmission case and inner primary cover... special order, with matching numbers on the tranny. This is basically the '07 parts. I also found that the '06 triple-tree was weak... one tightening too much, and it snapped... so mine now also has the upgraded '07 TT. Important thing to note about these bikes... they are the first and earliest ones to allow fitment of the 120 R/120 ST motor.... I certainly wouldn't do that without installing a Tru-Trac though.
Thanks man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What do you suggest? I’ve used them in the past and never had a problem and had much better all around performance.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I’ve had nothing but problems with S&S. I’ve given them over 10,000.00 dollars before I learned. Way to many people who say they are a good company. They are Not!!!!
They are a great company as long as nothing goes wrong. Wait until you have a problem. See how fast the lose your phone number and how long it takes to stand behind their products.
I know you will or already have spent your money 💰 with them.
I wish you luck.... 🤪

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve had nothing but problems with S&S. I’ve given them over 10,000.00 dollars before I learned. Way to many people who say they are a good company. They are Not!!!!
They are a great company as long as nothing goes wrong. Wait until you have a problem. See how fast the lose your phone number and how long it takes to stand behind their products.
I wish you luck.... 🤪
Haven’t spent much in the way of performance yet. So far just exhaust, intake, programmer etc. Just debating on performance mods for the existing motor with a complete rebuild or just buying a completely new motor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wish you luck.... 🤪
Wow. That's the exact opposite of my experience. Better quality parts than OEM and never had a problem getting someone on the phone for a tech question. Never had a go-round with their CS but never had any issues with their parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow. That's the exact opposite of my experience. Better quality parts than OEM and never had a problem getting someone on the phone for a tech question. Never had a go-round with their CS but never had any issues with their parts.
I’ve had no problems with them either. Parts worked perfectly but I have never had to deal with CS either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts