V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a 06 superglide -making some upgrades before taking it home. would be interested in opinions on how well it will perform

95 inch upgrade
10.5 to 1 dome pistons
se 251 cams
stock heads
SERT race tuner
big radius pipes
SE air cleaner

I am going to do the heads at a later date cause I am curious to see how the 06 stocks head perform vs some pro head work.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
There are better cam choices using the stock heads. The 06 heads may flow a little better than previoous years on the EX especially but no windfalls and over .500 they are flat as a pancake. Better cam choice SE211 being as the aftermarket does not have the cams yet.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
First off WELCOME to the board, you will find that there are many many here that are very helpful. Ok now for my 2 cents on the itmes that you are looking at

First off the 251 cam will not work with stock heads. Too much lift for stock springs, as well you are missing the boat using a cam like that with stock heads.

The cast piston you plan on using will yeild approx 10.2 not 10.5.

The pipes you have choosen may offer a great sound but are not on the list for High perfromance, there are plenty others that will offer more performance. I am going on the thought process that you are looking for the most gains you can get with your set up?? Now I may be wrong as there are some that will be ok giving up some power for looks or sound, that is fine, I am only going over your items and giving my opinion.

As for heads you really should look at head work as there are huge gains you are going to give up with that set up, provided you do change valve springs to use that cam.

I hope I was of some help, if you do a search you will find that there is a plethora of good combinations out there that will great" bang for your buck" regardless of "who's" product you use. Se has some good kits as well as there is the after market kits.

I am not going to TOOT my own horn. But the 98 inch kits are simple , less money, and offer better gains. Again welcome to the board, this topic has been covered very well and I am sure you will find several kits that offer what you are looking for. The members here are more than willing to share their own set ups and experiances. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Agree HDwrench
Think about better pipes unless style is your primary goal. Even Cycle Shack slip-ons will perform much better than the V&H Radius.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
there is an artical in the new V-Twin mag on the new dyna they have new cams new double roller chain and upgraded cam shoes better breathig heads you should wait until people do some performance upgrades to find out a little more info on them it sounds like all good upgrades also there is a new oil pump, it is suppose to be a better performing 88 I'd like to see some dyno sheets on a stock motor.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Welcome to the board. It's your money but take it from someone that's already learned the hard way and dropped the cash on the dealer installed 95" kit. It's crap compared to what else is out there. Save your cash, ride your bike for awhile with 85". Go ahead with the S.E. air filter, I would reconsider the pipes if I was looking for power. And I would damn sure reconsider the cams.

Take HDWrench's advice! He can put together a setup that is reliable (more reliable than stock), make's more power than you'll get with the dealer S.E. setup and you'll only have to spend the money once. Read the posts... get Wrench to set you up with a 98" kit and a set of Dewey's heads and you'll be much more satisfied in the long run. The heads are the key ingredient to making good power and the stock heads won't cut it no matter what pipe or air filter you put on it.

Good luck with what ever you end up with, but do some digging first before you give the dealer anymore money.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks To Everyone

Appreciate everyone's imput. I considered the fact that the verdict is not in on the 2006 heads and how they will perform. I am prepared to do the head work after I Break in the bike and do some dyno runs. So I wanted to do the other mods and then do the heads. I did not use SE pistons - bought a set of Forged 10.5 to 1 domed pistons from NRHS. I did use the SE Cylinders.
According to the specs on the 251 cam, it is a mid range high torque cam that should be run with high compression. It should perform better down low then the 258 s or at least it appears that way on paper

lift 579 / 579
duration 244 / 250

intake 18 BTDC / 46 ABDC
exhaust 56 BBDC / 14 ATDC

I realize the big radius pipes are not the best performace choice - picked them for there looks. When I get her on the road I'll let you know how the project turned out. I'm hoping that I will be pleasantly suprised.
Thanks again - Tom

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I think you missed the part about the 251 not working with stock heads. The the lift on that cam is going to try to open the valves further than they can actually go! My -2$en#e-

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
TOMPAGLIA2 said:
Appreciate everyone's imput. I considered the fact that the verdict is not in on the 2006 heads and how they will perform. I am prepared to do the head work after I Break in the bike and do some dyno runs. So I wanted to do the other mods and then do the heads. I did not use SE pistons - bought a set of Forged 10.5 to 1 domed pistons from NRHS. I did use the SE Cylinders.
According to the specs on the 251 cam, it is a mid range high torque cam that should be run with high compression. It should perform better down low then the 258 s or at least it appears that way on paper

lift 579 / 579
duration 244 / 250

intake 18 BTDC / 46 ABDC
exhaust 56 BBDC / 14 ATDC

I realize the big radius pipes are not the best performace choice - picked them for there looks. When I get her on the road I'll let you know how the project turned out. I'm hoping that I will be pleasantly suprised.
Thanks again - Tom
why spend all that time and money to gain performance and then kill it with the wrong pipes?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I'm thinking it's gonna sound like a pin ball machine with all that pinging going on when he twists the wick. Ah hell, maybe we're all wrong???

Tom, I'm hoping that you are pleasantly surprised as well, but if you come back and tell us you're not... We're gonna say "We told you so".:yes:

As for those pipes... get some long sticks, chocolate and marsh mellows. At least they will be good for making smores.:roflback:

·
Registered
934 Posts
Tom:

In case it wasn't clear yet:

THOSE CAMS WON'T WORK
WITH STOCK HEADS

If the dealer is setting this up and doing this work for you they are setting you up for failure, and don't know what works. Either that or they want to make more money off of you when your set-up goes south.

Look at getting headwork done to accept these cams or go with a different lift cam.

Good luck with whatever you do.

darrell

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I am not sure you would actually go into coil bind with the new Beehives? Would have to test them for myself. Also the retainers hitting the top of the guide may be an issue. Regardless of a catastrophic failure I would not run the se251 cams with stock heads. Just common sense this is a mismatch.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
I spoke to Dewey yesterday about doing my 06 heads. He talked me out of doing them. He feels that the 06 heads flow enough for 37G cams. He said he'd feel guilty taking my money for the little bit of work he'd do to them. So give me a couple of weeks to get it together and we'll see how this combo works.

06 heads stock
95" BB with CP forged pistons
Cometic .030 (should yield 9.7:1)
Andrews 37G
"Baisley Spring"
PC lll
Kuryakyn AC
V&H BSS

Joe

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got The Message

Ok guys - I got the message. Going to have the heads done. Will also scrap the 251 and go with a woods cam. Not sure who to send the heads to - but I am prepared to do some extensive work.

Thanks again - when I recover from the beating you guys gave me I may actually be able to sit on the bike.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
TOMPAGLIA2 said:
Ok guys - I got the message. Going to have the heads done. Will also scrap the 251 and go with a woods cam. Not sure who to send the heads to - but I am prepared to do some extensive work.

Thanks again - when I recover from the beating you guys gave me I may actually be able to sit on the bike.
talk to Dewey, HDWrench, or BigBoyz for your headwork.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Here's Dewey's number... (505) 326-5998
Hers's his web site: http://www.deweyspegs.com

TOMPAGLIA2 said:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Ok I know you are new,... most here know I am very straight forward. STOP!!!! take the time to put together a package that is a quality set up. If I see this twice a day it is too many times.

Using 10.5 pistons and a BIG woods stick is one way to do it but there are easier and less exspensive ways to have good power, no problems with "ping" and no bad manners

You can use a piston that will give you 9.7.1 compression, ( i use them on all the 95 kits) you can use a bolt in cam, such as a 510, a 26, 37, and have good power while not breaking the bank. Really you did ask for info, and you are getting it,... verse's and boucning all over the place.

Ok I feel better. Sit down take a breath, relax and take some time to really make some good plans on your new build, take the time now and you will end up with a great build,.. get in a hurry and all it will do is cost you money in the end, or be unhappy with the final product.

I do not want to come being a jerk but really SLOW down. Give me a call even if you choose not to buy any product for me, that would be better than you building something that is mismatched. I would be happy to take the time to talk to you . Based on YOUR riding style, region where you live amount of 2 up riding, hwy/city/touring, I can help you put together a great package, again even if you buy nothing I am ok with that. I like to help out and hate to see people spend hard earned cash on products that really do not offer good gains, or products that really are going to give you problems down the road.

Keep the rubber side down, believe me they run better that way !!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Yeah, Tom, what SEDELUXE05 said. We weren't trying to be harsh, we just didn't want you to grenade your engine on your first upgrade. I agree with the others, call one or every one of the sponsors and talk to them. After describing your riding style and what you're looking for I'm sure one will appeal to you.

Good luck in your decisions

darrell

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Tom you're getting some excellent advice from the guys here. A lot of us learned the hard and expensive way. So don't take it as being harsh, just trying to keep you from falling into the pit like others before you. Most of the tech/wrench guys here have more experience in their pinky than most dealerships have in their whole shop staff. If I would have known about the web site before I jumped on the dealer performance bandwagon, I'd probably have had money left over to buy an extra bike.... well not really, but you get the idea. Now, get with HDWrench and Dewey and build that tire burner!:chopper:

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,645 Posts
TOMPAGLIA2 said:

Check out www.johnsonenginetechnology.com for the head work. Read the web site and others very carefully before letting the dealer touch your bike for anything other than typical service. The kits that HDWrench sells are very good as I have found out from people that have them. Spend your money wisely and once.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts