V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...When it comes right down to it I think I'm making it more difficult than it really is.
I have no desire for big bore kits cams etc. Basically I want to change the air filter element and add a set of pipes ( not slip on ). This is where it is starting to confuse me. Should I purchase sert or something comperable or just have a dealership run the upgrade for me at around 150 or so and just be done with it..?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I am in the same boat. I really just wanted to do new pipes and a new air cleaner and that's it as far as the engine goes. I originally wanted to have them both installed at the same time and have the dealer do just one download. Turns out that I just didn't have the money to do both, so I decided on the pipes first. When I take the bike back for the air cleaner install, they will need to re-map again, making the first map useless.

I would say that if you can, do both at once & be done with it. I don't know about a SERT or PCIII since I just don't have the knowledge about them.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
PSK260 said:
Turns out that I just didn't have the money to do both, so I decided on the pipes first. When I take the bike back for the air cleaner install, they will need to re-map again, making the first map useless.

Why do you need another map? If you already have the stage 1 map installed with the pipes, you shouldn't need it again when you put on the AC. Granted, you'll still be lean, but you shouldn't need it. I highly doubt you dealer would put a different map, other than the stage 1 map.

Anyway, back to the orginal question...So you say you'll never, ever, ever never want to do any mods to the engine? If so, you'll probably be one of the 8 out of 10 people that will do the download and be happy with it. I personally like to have control, er the ablitity to control the EFI map, so the SERT suits me fine.

I'd say if you do the download with the pipes and the AC, and it doesn't "perform" the way you want it too, you'll need to get a DFO, PC III, or better yet a SERT to correct the problem.

Do all the work yourself (install the AC and Pipes)...it's easy to do...get the SERT...upload a map...it's easy also easy to do...do a test ride(s)...that's the fun part...tweak the map per comments in the EFI forum section...also fun, cause you're surfin VTF...re map the bike and get out there and ride. If you have the dealer install the pipes, AC and do the download, you'll probably end up spending the same about of money, and you won't have a SERT, and you'll have a lean bike. Hmmm, I know which way I'd go (and did!).

Enjoy...isn't life fun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SO what you are telling me is purchase pipes, air cleaner, and the race tuner. Put the nice new shiny parts on. Find the apropriate download for the purchased parts. Re flash computer and then I'm cool..? If I don't like the tune i can change some elements and make a grenade!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm a reseach junkie and it is going to make me crazy..ha

Anyhow I have been reasearching tuners

DFO will not work with an 06 dyna..?
PCIII..will work with a dyna but O2 sensor delete and I have only found maps for vance and hines and thunderheader.
SERT..will work with anything, but are on back order..?

In the pipe department
I was looking at samson ripsaws (not sure if there are available for 06). I like the pythons I have seen in pictures and it looks like every company make a variation of the pipe. It is just trying to find a map that will work from the beginning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.