·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Unyalli said:
Has anyone had their dealer install either the

29860-04A Screamin' Eagle® Big Bore Stage I Kit for EFI Models

or the

29872-06 Screamin' Eagle® Street Legal Big Bore Stage II Kit for EFI Models

on an 06 touring model? I mean the completely stock legal versions with the download and stock or included mufflers. No other engine mods. No race tuner, no true duals, no wild pigs, etc, etc, etc....
Why? If you are gonna spend all that money, don't you want to let it breath and (most especially) don't you want to hear it?

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wizwill said:
Why? If you are gonna spend all that money, don't you want to let it breath?
I'm taking no chances with my extended warranty.

Wizwill said:
and (most especially) don't you want to hear it?
I like the sound of the stock exhaust while on the bike. After experimenting I believe it's just right. I can hear the stereo just great. Don't really care what everyone else hears.

NOTE: A guy on another board just did the full street legal Stage 2 big bore. Didn't let the dealer talk him into anything else. Bike runs great. I'm looking at the stage 1 big bore as the stock cams will probably work better with the stove up OEM exhaust.

·
?????
3,531 Posts
Either dirrection you jump your going to get a little more kick in the pants. I had a 05 EG Classic that had (At that time) the legal Stage 2, which was the 95" 203 cams, the SE air filter and the SE Pro mufflers complete with the MoCo download. The bike had much more spunk than the stock 88" did, if I was spending the bucks to take it apart I'd just kick in the extra few and have the cams done also. You should price it with your dealer both ways, and then let your wallet be your guide. I think either way your going to feel the difference from stock.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
Do the cams

I went whole hog on mine but think that if you go to a 95 with a cam upgrade you'll be happier and still have money in your wallet. I understand the desire for quiet power but you'll need to switch out the stock mufflers -- check out fullsac or the S&S SPOs (I'll be switching out the SE performance pretty soon) or the Supertrapp if 2-1 is your style.

Good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
joediver said:
I went whole hog on mine but think that if you go to a 95 with a cam upgrade you'll be happier and still have money in your wallet. I understand the desire for quiet power but you'll need to switch out the stock mufflers -- check out fullsac or the S&S SPOs (I'll be switching out the SE performance pretty soon) or the Supertrapp if 2-1 is your style.

Good luck
Joe D - why ya switching out the SE mufflers?

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Forgive me fellas but I'm just not understanding something here.

For $660.00 in parts alone the Stage 1 big bore gives me this.

Add another $390.00 for the Stage 2 Big Bore and I get this...

Instead of the $390 for the Stage 2 BB add $2340.00 for the 103 stroker and I get this...

Why would I do anything other than the Stage 1 Big Bore? Humming down the freeway fully loaded and 2 up at 3300 rpms I see a power loss with the stage 2 kit and nothing to speak of with the 103 kit. Definitely not 3 grand worth of anything to speak of. Now if I still want a bit more I'll have the dealer do the 3.37 gearing.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Unyalli,

I hear what you are saying! I just traded an '04 VRod and ordered a new Ultra. (Big change, I know :thumbsup:)

Dealer recommends the Stage II Big Bore from the Screamin' Eagle Racing Catalog (not street legal or warranteed by H-D) which is roughly equal to the Stage II kit you reference. I think I am simply going to get the Stage I 95" street legal kit and not have the tech f&*$ around with the cams, etc. since the Stage II kit offers minimal or no gain over Stage I. Plus, I will probably be keeping the stock mufflers or something very mild so that I can hear the tunes :whistle: I just want a little more power over stock while staying in good graces with the H-D warranty!

Mike

BTW, I've been lurking on these boards for a while as a guest ... and this is an AWESOME forum. There seems to be a bunch of very knowledgeable and fun members here. Hopefully, I can learn quickly and contribute in the near future. I'm really pumped about getting the Ultra - just have a long wait until spring to ride here in Iowa.

·
Cheesehead
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mikkel said:
Dealer recommends the Stage II Big Bore from the Screamin' Eagle Racing Catalog
I'll bet the race tuner and dyno time as well. These dealers want to lock you into there dealership. They will promise no warranty issues, (at there dealership). Your essentially bribing them to lie to Harley when the time comes and fudge the warranty paperwork. When your dealer recommends 3 or 4 grand of crossed flags accessories right after recommending the extended warranty ask him for the certification from the MoCo guaranteeing warranty coverage nation wide and watch the dog and pony show. Then call Harley Davidson's warranty line your self and ask them about crossed flag parts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with the Big Bore Stage 2 with 203 cams and the Power Commander. All I can say is AWSOME. My son rode my 03 Glide and the next day took his 06 Street Glide in for the same. The only difference is that I have Hooker slip on's on stock headers and he went with the D&D 2 into 1. I beat him on the dyno in torque and he beat me with HP. We both would never go back.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
what kind of numbers are you getting???

i have an 06 flhti, did the stage II big bore with 203 cams, and rinehart true duals... dealer did the download, and tweaked it a little on the dyno... max power is 81.94 hp, and 88.73 torque. nothing near what the chart in the screamin eagle catalogue showed... which is more like 97 torque and 85 hp?
i bought the power commander and tommorow its getting mapped, i am hopping it helps some. i know i lost alot of low end torque with the rineharts, but like alot of people, i didnt find this site till after i had the work done???
anyway, i attached a copy of my dyno sheet. i would really like to know what kind of numbers you guys are getting out of the same setup. i had a 2005 flhti with stage 1 and rineharts and it seemed to run harder than the 06 with the big bore kit? lost it to katrina....

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
not really sure...

the service director told me that on the 06 models they no longer get the ecm downloads on a chip, that they now get them from harley like downloading a file on a computer, and that they can tweak them some? i can tell you this, my rev limiter was unchanged after installing the stage ll ecm, still cut out at around 5300, and i asked about that, and they couldnt really explain why, the screamin eagle catalogue no longe states that it does either, anyway... they raised the rev limiter when they did whatever they did.
the bike seems to run better since they did it, but i still dont thing its running right. i have a power commander now and i am going to get it tuned today, and i am hoping for some improvement.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
I just did the flat-top 95" SE upgrade with 203 cams and SE air cleaner on my 05 RK. Probably a different P/N (don't have it handy at the moment) but at least the same idea. I still have the stock pipes since the ones I ordered are backordered. I used a SERT, but so far only to load a new stock MAP.
It runs well and has a definate increase in power, no dyno around here so I can't give you exact numbers. All I know is I have tried to find 6th gear more in the last 3 days than all of the previous month!

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If you want to protect an extended warranty, making those changes will be a crapshoot at best. Sometimes the installing dealer will cover up for you, but anywhere else, it's a big maybe. Have you talked to the "extended warranty" company?? It's not HD and they will be the deciding factor about what is covered or not covered.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Unyalli said:
I'm taking no chances with my extended warranty.

I'm going this way if it helps. 06' Ultra. With 95" kit stage I. 2:1 Thunderheader pipes with false left pipe. Also getting the SERT for tuning. Doesn't bother my warranty at all per the dealer. Then when the Warranty is over I'll go straight to stage III. Cams and Heads, but I won't follow all that street legal mumbo jumbo. I'll build a real motor. :yes:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
with false left pipe.
Think twice about that, you'll regret yourself in the morning.

Personally I think baggers are the best place for 2 to 1, with the bags you don't notice the absent pipe as much.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
berserker said:
Think twice about that, you'll regret yourself in the morning.

Personally I think baggers are the best place for 2 to 1, with the bags you don't notice the absent pipe as much.
To me just looks like something is missing. Like you were in an accident and tore something off.

So I'll keep the same system but look like this from the back.

·
Aimless Wanderer
855 Posts
Why not build the bike like you want it from the start, and to hell with the warranty. ^rolleyez^

1 - 20 of 25 Posts