V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of 06 heads w/ the beehive valve springs and I would like to know how much lift is safe for the stock heads?? I also have springs from my old bike, they are crane .600 lift springs and retainers. Should I use the crane just for piece of mind. I plan on running between a 540 to 570 lift. THANKS FOR READING

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
hugie03flhr said:
I have a set of 06 heads w/ the beehive valve springs and I would like to know how much lift is safe for the stock heads?? I also have springs from my old bike, they are crane .600 lift springs and retainers. Should I use the crane just for piece of mind. I plan on running between a 540 to 570 lift. THANKS FOR READING
Here is a quote from the HQ website -

"cams with lifts below .650” will work in stock 2005-2007 heads with original equipment conical (beehive) springs, valves and seals."

I personally don't believe it, nor would I want a .600 lift cam with stock springs in my bike. I would say up to around .530 or so would be OK, but any more then that you are just asking for trouble.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,582 Posts
Call HQ and ask Doug about the stock springs, he says he wouldn't run them in his bike yet he has it right there in print on his website that says you can, Zippers also claims the new chain drive 577 lift cams can be used with the stock beehives. I would like to see some testing of the stock springs before I would use them.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
This is from some notes I found, I'm pretty sure I did them from an '05...but should apply for all beehives to this point.

1.850" installed hieght
= 140lbs.

1.340"
= .510" lift
= 295 lbs.

1.300"
= 305 lbs

1.275"
= .575" lift
= .310 lbs

1.200"
COIL BIND
= 350 lbs

Also note that at .650" lift, the top retaining collar on the spring contacted the top of the valve seal.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input guys!!

I read all the posts and it looks like (beehive springs) work well for a mild cam on harley applications. We use this design on small block chevys with very good results. High rpm engines seem to respond to the lighter retainer and keeps the valve from bouncing off the seat. I do have the Crane hi lift valve spings and I'm a little concern about the rocker hitting the spring retainer. They appear much larger than the beehive springs. Do you guys think I should just put in the crane springs??? My cam should be around .570 lift.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Roadie said:
Do you know the Part Number and Manufacturer of the Springs? That would definately help.
Roadie they are stock, OEM Haley issued production springs and retainer.

·
I paid.........did you??
2,301 Posts
If you are going with a .570 cam, I would put in the right springs. Why risk ruining the motor with the stock springs when the correct springs are not that much $$$.

Steve

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MaineUltraClassic said:
If you are going with a .570 cam, I would put in the right springs. Why risk ruining the motor with the stock springs when the correct springs are not that much $$$.

Steve
Thank MUC, I'm going to change them out for the crane high lift spring since I have them already. Piece of mind!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Well at least the Bee Hive springs won't have any coil interference problems. But they could bottom out.
But better to use what is suggested while it is apart and not have to go back in cause of an unknown/ should be OK to use and have problems down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts