V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed the XM addon for the HK Advance Audio radio in 06 FLH's? I am looking into adding it, and assumed that the 06's were XM ready. Dealer just told me that I need to buy some kind of XM Kit for 500 bucks.... Seems kinda steep to me....

Just wondering if anyone has done this, and if so what was involved...

Thanks,
Mark

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
I have the XM on my '06 RG and really like it. Cost is high but ease of use and benefits are great. I listen to the XM so much that I don't even bring along CD's or MP3's any more.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
You can put XM or Sirius on using the branded units, not the HD one for a TON of $$$ less. I'd go to Circuit City or Best Buy and buy the unit you like best. Top XM is less than $175.00. Then you can mount it in any of a dozen ways, play it thru your existing FM in three ways.... 1, hard wired thru the FM modulator (my way, cleanest) 2, male to male cable, out of the XM into the Aux plug, 3, broadcast to your FM (only available on some of the models). The plus to this is if you buy a second mounting cradle, you can use it in your cage in crappy weather. You can get a unit for your home too.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a ton for the info guys. Not sure what I'm gonna do, but am 100% sure I'm NOT giving my dealer $500+.... Will probobly check out the Circuit City option.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Look at XM's website I got an email from them today and they were selling Roady 2's for 19.95. This is going to be a discontinued radio but the price is great. Or check out myradiostore.com.

O&A
XM202

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
I have it....

I also have the high output audio and the bluetooth phone kit, and the radar detector and GPS on my '06 Ultra.

The integration of each part is nice, and it all works well together. It'll cost you several hundred dollars more to go the HD route than buying an XM Roadie and the parts to hook it up and mount it. Obviously up to you whether you feel that it's worth it or not.

For me, all that was involved was telling the dealer that I wanted it installed. Not sure I'd want to take apart the electra glide fairing and try and install electronics myself on a new bike.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Personally, I like the idea of it being integrated into the existing radio. Nothing extra stuck on the handle bars, nothing extra to get ripped off damaged or broken, nothing to have to cover up during wet weather, and you can see everything from the stereo display. I know that there are less expensive ways to add it on but those come with some drawbacks. I plan on spending the extra bucks and getting the factory module added onto the stock stereo. Like Eric, I am a bit of a gadget freak. I don't mind spending the cash for seamless (hopefully) integration into the factory setup. Hell, after spending twenty some grand on a bike, what's a few hundred dollars more?

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Retrax said:
Personally, I like the idea of it being integrated into the existing radio. Nothing extra stuck on the handle bars, nothing extra to get ripped off damaged or broken, nothing to have to cover up during wet weather, and you can see everything from the stereo display. I know that there are less expensive ways to add it on but those come with some drawbacks. I plan on spending the extra bucks and getting the factory module added onto the stock stereo. Like Eric, I am a bit of a gadget freak. I don't mind spending the cash for seamless (hopefully) integration into the factory setup. Hell, after spending twenty some grand on a bike, what's a few hundred dollars more?
I only wish I had 20K in mine. But hey can't take it with you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
EricEdelman said:
I also have the high output audio and the bluetooth phone kit, and the radar detector and GPS on my '06 Ultra.

The integration of each part is nice, and it all works well together. It'll cost you several hundred dollars more to go the HD route than buying an XM Roadie and the parts to hook it up and mount it. Obviously up to you whether you feel that it's worth it or not.

For me, all that was involved was telling the dealer that I wanted it installed. Not sure I'd want to take apart the electra glide fairing and try and install electronics myself on a new bike.

If a custom headunit that supports Sirius is installed. You would also lose your CB communication capability. Integration is definitely the way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.