V-Twin Forum banner

05 Ultra Classic fuel line replacement?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Greg_E 
#1 ·
I have to rebuild/replace the high pressure line between my tank and fuel rail. I bought the fuel rail service kit with all the Orings and seals I should need, and a new fuel line. What I need to know is the following:

#1 does the tank need to come off to get to everything?

#2 will the tank spill all the fuel out when I disconnect the high pressure line from the tank, or will a valve close when I unclip it?

#3 what should I use to lube the Orings?

#4 ·
Pulled the pressure line off and the tank was dripping. Put the pressure line back on to try and stop the drip, and it became a run. Pulled all the bolts to tip the tank up high enough to move the fuel away, this stopped the drip. Ordered a new in tank high pressure line with the outlet fitting.

Pulled the torx from the fuel rail and pulled the steel line out. Put the new spacer and Oring on the end. Wasn't being careful enough when tightening and broke the head off the torx screw that hold the fork retainer for the steel line. Guess I get to go deeper and pull the fuel rail to try and extract that screw.

#5 ·
Since the hole for that fork screw is drilled all the way through, once I got a decent drill bit to grab it walked right out. Got it as polished as I'm going to do and will maybe anodize it tonight when I get home. Wish I had a bead blaster so that I could get a more uniform non-gloss finish. It's kind of swirly satin finish right now from the scotchbright rotary tool thing.

#6 ·
Back on track after anodizing the fuel rail. Need to drain the tank and replace the internal line, then put it all back together again and hope for the best.

Hope I didn't screw things up, I used a little silicon based dielectric grease in the O rings to help them slide into place, worked a lot better than the oil in the input tube. Since it is normally safe for rubber gaskets on the electrical connections, I hope it is safe for the BUNA N or Viton rings the rebuild kit uses. My 05 does not use an O2 sensor or catalyst so the silicon should not be an issue with contamination.

I'm guessing the next leak will be intake manifold gaskets or the O ring between TB and manifold. (or both) Or the fuel pump or injectors quit on me from sitting so long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.