V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a 200mm tire conversion on my 05 softail and was wondering how hard is a swingarm & belt change? I do have some wrench skill I've built a few asain bikes in my past. Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
The swingarm change is no big deal at all, just parts off, parts on. I use a custom (slightly wider) swingarm I fabricated on my '02 Deuce. The belt change requires the removal of the clutch assembly and inner primary, still not a big deal but requires a few specific tools. I assume you are changing to a narrower belt, but that's not necessary to run a 200mm tire. It will be real close but you can use the stock belt with a 200. It will require a pulley spacer in the 3/16 - 1/4 inch thickness range depending on which tire. That will move the tire further off center to the right but that's unavoidable. I used a Metzler 200MM tire with only a 3/16 spacer but I did shave the side peak on the tire left side a little just to be sure. The belt is very close but does not touch. It also pushes the belt to the far left of the countershaft sproket but alignment is still OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts