V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a clue why my 2005 Dyna would be making some rear-end noise? It kind of sounds like the front brake drag thing, which I've heard is normal, but this is louder and deeper sounding. I recently had the rear tire replaced at HD and I'm wondering if something has gone out of whack. I've put about 600 miles on it since the tire replacement, and about 150 since the rear-end noise started. It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but I'm concerned about it. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks!!
M

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have heard the same howling sound from my 05 as well. Just when I come up to a stop sign. I also just put a new tire on and we used a pair of calibers to measure the axle from the back of the swing arm. Of course we did not take into the account of Harley having one side longer than the other.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If it wasn't making any noise before and started only after the dealer, or anyone for that matter, changed the rear tire, I would take it back and let them inspect it soon. You are on record that something has changed for the worse. Louder and deeper? Something misaligned? Somethin rubbing? If it happened to me I would build a secure lift and run it in gear to see what was happening.

I will be doing my first tire change (myself) on my bike this month so I hope I don't hear any strange noises or I'm going to have to punch myself in the chops.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Have you checked the alignment of the rear axle in the swing arm?

There is a small hole in the swing arm just forward of the axle. The distance from the hole to the center mark on the axle should be the same length on both sides. (To compare distances: fashion a simple "L" shaped tool from a thick coat hanger - short end into the swing arm hole and a "slider" (grommet / piece of tape / etc) along the long end of the "L" to mark the position of the axle center divot.)

Are the sides of the rear belt showing signs of wear? (misaligned sprocket) If you can put the bike up on a stand, then rotate the tire and look/listen for signs of the problem.

Is the rear belt the proper tension? (See Owner's Manual for process) If the belt is too tight, the sound may be bearing wear. (If it is the bearings, then they need to be replaced - you already have excessive wear.)

Hope this helps - when you get the problem resolved, please post what was actually wrong. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
i agree with 84fxrp, if the belts too tight it will make kind of a whining noise, push up on the belt with someone on the bike, the belt should move freely about 3/8" . also check alignment

1 - 5 of 5 Posts