V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,I,m changing my gear ratio on my springer from the rather tall ratio of 3.15-1 to 3.37-1.......or from 32 teeth to 30 teeth on the trans.what has been your experience with this change? (assuming you have done this!!) I ride 2 up on occasion and I have bags and a windshield on the bike....plus the fact I go 250 lbs!!!(yeah I know,go on a diet:hystria: :hystria: )I usually stay around 60-65 and on the back country roads of south jersey here and seldom venture out on very many highways.

I,m looking for more "snap" with out going into the motor until she,s broken in, thanks for any comments on this.

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Ditto what SEDELUXE05 says on how you're going to accomplish the
3:37. Given the type of riding you do, you will love the change.
The rpm change at highway speeds is not that significant.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Leaving the primary stock, 35/26, and changing the transmission sprocket from a 32 to a 30 with a stock 70 rear sprocket would give you 3.36.
35/26=1.44, 70/30=2.33; 1.44*2.33=3.36

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
I did the 3.37 and love it. I've made several 500 mile one day trips crusing at 75 and 80 with no problem (90 degree weather). I weigh about 185 and had about 50lbs of luggage aboard. I don't know why the moco ever changed to 3.15 unless it was for epa.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
It was a EPA modfication and its getting worse with the new Dyna.
The only difference in changing the trany sprocket over the promary drive is the speedo will read 4 to 5 mph higher than your going. If the speedo says your clipping at 70 mph your really going 65 or 66 mph.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
murphdog said:
Leaving the primary stock, 35/26, and changing the transmission sprocket from a 32 to a 30 with a stock 70 rear sprocket would give you 3.36.
35/26=1.44, 70/30=2.33; 1.44*2.33=3.36
That's the most economic way of getting the 3.36 overall ratio down. I believe the primary change calls for some $400 in parts, the gear box sprocket should be around $100 + another $75 for the speedo calibrator.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
softtail gear change to 3.37-1

thanks for getting back with me guys!!! I can pull the primary off my self and put the sprocket on....I got it at zippers performance. and I stand corrected it is 3.36-1 hahahaha!!! so that will give me more snap all the way around.....that makes sense!! the dealer told me that the EP..effin A mandated that change along with a host of others!
I would like to go with a different gas controller also.....since the bike is poppin through the pipes on decelleration, the bike is feul injected.
I sure wish this thing was as simple to work on as is my stroker panhead is!!!

I,d appreciate your comments on the above!!! thanks guys!.......BIBS.

Oh, one more thing, how do I recalibrate the speedo? or do i have to???

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
BIBS said:
thanks for getting back with me guys!!! I can pull the primary off my self and put the sprocket on....I got it at zippers performance. and I stand corrected it is 3.36-1 hahahaha!!! so that will give me more snap all the way around.....that makes sense!! the dealer told me that the EP..effin A mandated that change along with a host of others!
I would like to go with a different gas controller also.....since the bike is poppin through the pipes on decelleration, the bike is feul injected.
I sure wish this thing was as simple to work on as is my stroker panhead is!!!

I,d appreciate your comments on the above!!! thanks guys!.......BIBS.

Oh, one more thing, how do I recalibrate the speedo? or do i have to???
Bibs i live in SJ also, i ilive near ccean city. I put a revtech defo on my deluxe and it took all the poping out of it and it really runs great now. Email me if you live in this area . [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts