V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will wheels off an 05 RK fit on an 01? I think the fronts are the same, but was told the rears are different. Can I just press in the 01 bearing in the rear or is it not that simple?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Yes, just have the Harley dealer press out the 05 bearings in the rear and press in bearings from an '01. Probably charge you $50 Labor. The bearings msrp is about $58. You'll also need the center spacer. Trust me, you won't be able to remove the old bearings yourself without cutting them out or buying the tool that cost $190..

The 00-01 bearings have the exact same outer diameter as the 02-05. Just the inside diameter is 3/4" vs. 1".

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
1550king said:
Thanks for the info! The dealer just gave me the "deer in headlights" look when I asked them.
LOL, I know that look well. My dealer got both sets of bearings (3/4" & 1") and put calipers on them and they were the same size. He was a little surprised but I knew Harley wouldn't manufacture a new hub.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
It might not be as simple as just changing the bearings. I think the bore on the newer wheels is bigger to accommodate the larger outside diameter of the internal spacer for the 1 inch axle. The 2000-01 spacer will fit, but the outside diameter of it isn't big enough to keep it centered in the bore so that it fits properly against the bearings. It might be too sloppy a fit inside the bore. If it's not a tight enough fit to keep it centered, you could have a tough time installing the wheel and trying to get the axle through. Remember that the newer wheels have a different part number just for this reason.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
rails99ca said:
It might not be as simple as just changing the bearings. I think the bore on the newer wheels is bigger to accommodate the larger outside diameter of the internal spacer for the 1 inch axle. The 2000-01 spacer will fit, but the outside diameter of it isn't big enough to keep it centered in the bore so that it fits properly against the bearings. It might be too sloppy a fit inside the bore. If it's not a tight enough fit to keep it centered, you could have a tough time installing the wheel and trying to get the axle through. Remember that the newer wheels have a different part number just for this reason.
Read my previous post. My dealer took 00-01 and 02-up bearings (3/4" & 1" inside diameter) and put calipers on each one. They both had the same exact outside diameter. The only difference between the bearings is the inside diameter.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Go back and read what I said. I realize the bearing outside diameters are the same. It's the bore of the hub that's different. The newer wheels have a larger bore (inside the hub, between the bearings) for the the newer spacer with the larger diameter (inside and out) for the 1 inch axle. If the wheels were the same, why would they have a different part number (less the bearings) for the 2000-01 versus the 2002 and up?

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I stand corrected, you are right. BUT, wheels off of an 05 will fit an 01 as his original question was posed. I guess the question now is as you stated previously. Is the spacer too small?

·
Registered
469 Posts
The 01 has 3/4 axle in the rear ,and 1 inch in the front . 02 started 1 inch in the rear along with the stronger swingarm and new desine of belt tension adjusting. Also the caliper is of a different diameter at the axle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
O.K., Could I then just bolt a swing arm off a 2002 to ? year touring model to keep it simple? I can get one for less than the price of the bearings and spacer to press into the new wheel. Would there be any other parts that I would need to swap the swing arm? Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
469 Posts
01 and 1/2

You cannot use a 02 swingarm on an 01 or older because the swingarm pivot shaft is of a larger diameter, Thus a different trans case ,and no i would not be able to safely enlarge that bore in trans case ,there is more meat in that aera on the 02 style .But they can be bought for 365 list price. If you change the case , the swing arm, the pivot shaft, caliper ,and wheel , n axle you will have it done

·
Registered
469 Posts
Do it all and while your at it put a Baker dd6 in the new case or buy one complete from them and put a new 143 mm tire on the back at the same time . Lot of work but if you are happy with your bike you wont need much more , OH dont forget the sta bo ,s

1 - 14 of 14 Posts