V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 FLHTCI with SERT, SE air cleaner and a ProPipe. I have the diagnostic manual on the way. I have one of the oil burners and will be doing a 95 or 98 build soon. Bike runs fine otherwise.

After the bike is warmed up, the idle varies between 600 and 900 RPMs. The map has the idle set for 900. This just started on the last ride. My rear spark plug looked a bit wet with oil but not fouled.

I understand there is an issue with some bikes with the fuel line in the gas tank leaking and lowering the fuel pressure to the point that the bike won't idle correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sounds like you might have an intake manifold leak or a hole in the internal fuel line. Fill the gas tank all the way and see if it still misses. If it doesn't ,then drain the tank down to the point where the fuel light comes on. If the bike starts missing then, you probably do have a leak on the inside of the tank in the fuel line hose. But there are a lot of variables.....if air is entering the fuel system, it will miss constantly, not just at idle.....To check for an intake leak, I use an unlit propane torch. If the manifold is leaking, the engine idle will increase. Some guys use WD-40 or brake clean, but I don't want the residue on my jugs. Some guys will just mist the area with water then the idle decreases.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts