V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike has the origional comp that was in the bike when it was an 88"---now a 95".
I need a better comp--any suggestions Harley or aftermarket?? If there is a better replacement, what additional changes will I need to make for the recommended comp??
Thanks

·
Registered
952 Posts
I don't even need a new compensator but I would like to have the new Dark Horse Man O War. check it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
Why do you feel you need a new compensator? The ones used in 88's were pretty durable. Problems didn't start till the 96" 6-speed was introduced. I have an 05 fatboy at 95" and built 97"s with no problems. However if you hear some noise check the attachment nut, they were know to come lose from the factory. Also the Moco used some nuts that was to long and bottomed before tight against the compensator. Some shorten the nut, the Moco sells a washer to install to correct it. Do a search for compensator nut.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you feel you need a new compensator? The ones used in 88's were pretty durable. Problems didn't start till the 96" 6-speed was introduced. I have an 05 fatboy at 95" and built 97"s with no problems. However if you hear some noise check the attachment nut, they were know to come lose from the factory. Also the Moco used some nuts that was to long and bottomed before tight against the compensator. Some shorten the nut, the Moco sells a washer to install to correct it. Do a search for compensator nut.
Thanks--I'll check out the nut route.

·
Registered
9,172 Posts
i would pitch the compensator in its entirety, when it fails,, and install a direct drive sprocket... all my reasons for this are in the old posts,, or search..
its yours, you decide..

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
749 Posts
I have an 04 FLHTI. Originally an 88 and now a 95. Prior to my rebuild, around 30-35,000 miles, the compensator was making a lot of noise. Opened it up and the nut was loose. No damage I could see to the comp so I just tightened it up to spec and it's been fine ever since. I have to open up the primary to replace my drive belt this winter and may consider a change then but if it ain't broke...there are plenty more fun things to spend time/money on.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
749 Posts
I don't even need a new compensator but I would like to have the new Dark Horse Man O War. check it out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
When I checked their website previously they only had it for 07-16 twin cams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts