V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this for firstgrp1

2005 Fatboy 15th year anniv model

-Comes stock with the Stage 1 1550 kit. (flat top pistons I believe)
-SE 204 cams
-SE adjustable pushrods
-Big Boyz headwork (stock heads)
-Python 2-1
-SE Race Tuner

Dyno and labor done by Montgomery HD.

·
05 FLHTCI
345 Posts
Nice try springer!

Springer,

Nice try sneaking in a STD run instead of SAE.:D

Just kidding. It still looks good. :thumbsup: The 204 cams work well with Bean's heads. Keep up the good work. Keep posting the dynos. It is great to have as a reference so that people can spot trends with various cam and head combos.

Anyone up for a forum for dyno runs and combinations?

David

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BaggerDave said:
Springer,

Nice try sneaking in a STD run instead of SAE.:D

Just kidding. It still looks good. :thumbsup: The 204 cams work well with Bean's heads. Keep up the good work. Keep posting the dynos. It is great to have as a reference so that people can spot trends with various cam and head combos.

Anyone up for a forum for dyno runs and combinations?

David
I didn't do the dyno run. I only posted what firstgrp1 supplied.

·
AVN
43 Posts
It is my dyno

Its my dyno numbers, thanks for posting it for me Springer.

Is STD much different than SAE? Sorry, I'm not to smart on dyno stuff yet. The bike sure feels good but if its not the real numbers then oh well. The only compaint is that my Python 2-1 is starting to "yellow" a little at the base of the muffler. Cant get the grin off my face though when I ride. It keeps pulling well past 90mph and I dont really like to speed that much. Take it easy. Later.

---Chris

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
firstgrp1 said:
Its my dyno numbers, thanks for posting it for me Springer.

Is STD much different than SAE? Sorry, I'm not to smart on dyno stuff yet. The bike sure feels good but if its not the real numbers then oh well. The only compaint is that my Python 2-1 is starting to "yellow" a little at the base of the muffler. Cant get the grin off my face though when I ride. It keeps pulling well past 90mph and I dont really like to speed that much. Take it easy. Later.

---Chris
STD vs SAE. The reason SAE is more important is for comparison reasons. SAE is a standard, dyno's use correction factors to compensate for several variables like air temp, and the result is SAE.

IMO, Dyno numbers are very subjective. Many things effect your final numbers. Stuff like tire pressure, altitude, how tight the bike is straped down, final drive ratio, gear of run, type of dyno and the make of the dyno.

IMO, Dyno's are best used for tuning. If the conditions are stable for the whole time you are tuning the bike then the numbers are comparable.

·
AVN
43 Posts
Good explanation. Makes alot of sense now.

As most will agree, dyno numbers look good and make us feel good. (it did for me) but seat of the pants is whats really important. After riding today, I could care less what numbers I have. What I mean is the bike runs so strong and so smooth, I am just amazed. I used to own a V-rod and I gotta say, this bike will run with it I think. Thanks again Big Boyz. And thanks springer for the help. Later.

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
STD correction factor is 4% higher numbers than SAE correction factor. STD is what the racing community uses and its what Dyno Operators use to fudge numbers so they look good. Take off 4% of the max numbers and thats what SAE run would look like. The graph in question the hp would be 87.7 and the torque would be 95. These numbers fall right where they should be for the build, the hp is more than I had on the Road King graph I sent in and it also proves what I said about getting more hp if I opned the pipes a bit.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
hdmd88 said:
STD correction factor is 4% higher numbers than SAE correction factor. STD is what the racing community uses and its what Dyno Operators use to fudge numbers so they look good. Take off 4% of the max numbers and thats what SAE run would look like. The graph in question the hp would be 87.7 and the torque would be 95. These numbers fall right where they should be for the build, the hp is more than I had on the Road King graph I sent in and it also proves what I said about getting more hp if I opned the pipes a bit.
Doc...the corrected numbers above are very similar, but your Rk was a 88" not a 95". It really makes the 88" Rk look good.
Thanks
Dave

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
Doc,

Would you consider the AFR to be a little rich in the posted graph? Or if it was "tuned" 13.1 would be where this bike liked the AFR?

·
Banned
5,114 Posts
vafatboy said:
Doc,

Would you consider the AFR to be a little rich in the posted graph? Or if it was "tuned" 13.1 would be where this bike liked the AFR?
Its very possible the bike liked the richer side of the box, although I don't know if the tuner even tried the AFR any where else. When I tune the fuel circuit I get it in the box (between 13.0:1 to 14.0:1) then I will move the AFR up or down in the box looking for the most power....there isn't too many operators that will take that time and if they don't they are leaving power on the table, as GRock would say. I found here in Florida I find the most power at 13.7:1 but that doesn't mean it will be like that at 2500 feet above sea level. Dwewys heads like more fuel than most so again you have to play with the AFR to find the sweet spot.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
foddlefadel said:
springer did you use 2005 heads, and if so, any mods for oil consumption?
Thanks
Dave
If you mean on the Fatboy in the dyno. I believe he used his stock 05 heads. Bean has more than one fix for the oil comsumption problem but when he ports a set of 05's he uses Harleys fix which is the revised oil seals unless otherwise requested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts