V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm new to the Harley world and forums as well. I recently bought an 05 Dyna Wide Glide from the dealership and now that I have some miles under my belt, wanted to get some recommendations for upgrading handlebars. Since I'm a larger guy (6' 3" 240 lbs), I am looking for something with a little bit more height and comfortably while giving the smaller bike some "beefiness". From what I understand, I've got beach bars on there right now and they sit pretty standard. I know there are tons of different options like risers, extensions, hangars, apes, etc, but want some feedback on what users like and have on their bikes. I've attached a few pictures for reference. Thanks for whatever feedback you got for me.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Congrats on your new bike. Beach bars were not standard on any Dyna that I can recall. My Street Bob came with mini apes, which I found not comfy. I went through many combinations of bars and risers, and as much as I hate to say it, there can be a lot of trial and error. The bars in the pics you posted are some of the possibilities, but be aware that once they're installed there are very few ways to tweak them, mostly just changing control positions.
A good way to get started is to sit on the bike, with someone there to help. Close your eyes and position your arms to the spot you feel works for you. Have you helper measure the height and pull back from where your hands would sit on the grips. That's a good starting point to choose what you might like.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I run 14" apes on stock risers ,I am the same size as you but you may have a total differant feel than I.My 05 WG fits me like a glove and love the feel and fit I have on it. If you change the bars dont forget you will have to change the cables and brake lines and the electricals .

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I call 6'4" short guys,,, lol. my favorite bars are early 80's semi buck horns on 5" straight risers.. I also like the bars that come on 2000 FXDWG's..

·
Registered
13 Posts
To me the best bars ever are the OEM FXR riser pull back. As ive been taught function over looks is best but when you get what you want and it functions bonus. Sit on bike and hold your arms out stright like a zombie. Let them sag down a bit slight bend in elbow and thats exactly where your bars should be that is if you ride natural. This doesnt allow your arms to fall asleep and blood flows. Wrists wont cramp or go dead. You wont lean forward or back which is perfect on the road. With your height id assume it should be about 13 to 14" high. With your weight is go with solid tree inserts not poly (try speak kings site). For bars / risers I would stay away from 2 piece risers 1 piece are tied together bottom cap welded to risers (Biltwell Murdock). However it you have some change to spare check out Lucky Daves Lucky 13 pullbacks!

Anything else is for style and looks. After a few hundred miles you will thank me.

·
Registered
10,663 Posts
Well if you happen to want 2 piece risers don't get the ones with the decorative holes or cutouts. It is hard to polish and makes for a short bolt connection.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well if you happen to want 2 piece risers don't get the ones with the decorative holes or cutouts. It is hard to polish and makes for a short bolt connection.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk
No doubt! Id highly recommend Biltwell Murdocks 8.5". Since hes tall the LD Lucky 13 might be a better fit and 1 piece.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts